All reviewscommunal diningcommunal tableother guestsgarden routelong tableelephant sanctuarybedtime storypre dinner drinkshorse ridinga hot water bottlelog firecountry lodgehomemade biscuitsno air conditioningmain buildingour honeymoonstunning views
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I was a little bit disappointed with Hog Hollow. I know it didn't help matters that my husband was not feeling very well, felt sick so not in the mood for a fantastic meal or polite conversation with strangers but we fall into the average range of opinion particularly on the service. I feel awful that I didn't think it was as amazing as others. We were greeted and put on the amazing lounge area outside with a coffee then someone gave us a menu and asked if we wanted dinner and just left us. We were very tired we had been up early that day on the safari drive and we had to go to the desk and say we wanted to go to our room. A man helped us to take the cases out of the car but just put them in the downstairs room so we had to carry them upstairs. He just showed us where the mini bar was and told us about the mobile phone. I think the electricity went off about 3 times in the first hour we were there. We didn't have a fire in our room and it overlooked the car park so you felt you had to close the blinds everytime you went into the bathroom. We had specifically contacted them about wifi accesses because we were there for Christmas day and it was really important to us that we could face time my grand daughter. We were assured that it was available in the lounge. In fact it was the worse connection we had any where. We had to practically stand at reception to get a really bad connection there was no way it was going to work in the lounge so we had to go to Plettenburg for lunch so that we could get wifi. We went to the lounge at about 10.20 pm on christmas eve intending to have a coffee by the fire and there was a big black cat sat on the seat. I am terrified of cats so that was the end of that. We just went to our room without having seen any staff anyway. The cat came into the breakfast room and on to the patio area outside and onto to our decking so it was a nightmare for me. The first morning we had breakfast inside and the tables were so close together we could not get out when the couple came to the table next to us. The view was amazing and the rooms very nice. They gave us a bottle of wine and a cake for our anniversary which was really nice of them but apart from the location we didn't think it was that special but as I said before we didn't take part in the Christmas celebrations although we could hear the choir from our room and they were amazing.

1  Thank Jennynorthwales
beetle21, Owner at Hog Hollow Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Oh how awful that you didn’t have a lovely Christmas!
I have spoken to the staff about the check-in process. Most of our guests like to relax after their drive on the deck with tea or coffee or bubbly, but they must also remember to ask the right questions, so that if, as you both were, tired & needed to go to your room as soon as you’d filled in the check-in form, that it is so.
You are quite right, they should have asked you if you wanted your cases taken up to your bedroom or left in the lounge.
We were experiencing a lot of problems with wi-fi and internet access over that period – Plettenberg Bay goes from a population of about 40 000 to over 250 000 over the Xmas period and our local networks often don’t cope with the strain limiting availability – being more rural, we seem to lose access more regularly during peak season than in town.
And our gift from Eskom, our national power utility, was to turn the lights off on Christmas Eve! There was a 15 minute outage at 6pm and then a longer one over the dinner period from 7h25 – 9h30. It was very stressful for everyone.
We were not advised that you are ailurophobic – that must have been very traumatic for you. If the staff are alerted they do their best to make sure Allsorts is not around. Allsorts has been resident here for 14 years, however, she was accidently ridden over on Wednesday, and we buried her in her garden.
In spite of your disappoint, thank you very much for your lovely comment in the guests book on your departure.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Myself and my new hubby stayed at Hog Hollow for 3 nights in December. What a fantastic place! Truly made our honeymoon so special!

We arrived around 4pm and were checked in immediately. A guy helped carry our bags to our rooms and I was amazed when he opened the door. Was so beautiful. The beds were so comfy. The bathroom was huge and had a shower and lovely bath with a floor to ceiling window so felt like I was showering outside at times! Lovely little stereo in the rooms so we put on the Xmas CD’s . The view out of the windows is incredible. We were luckily enough to have no other rooms infront of ours so we just had a view of forest! GORGEOUS! The hammock on the decking in your room was a lovely touch and we’d often sit outside and just chill out on that! Remember your insect repellent though haha. Every night we would come back and there would be chocolate on the pillow and a bed time story which was a cute little touch.

All the staff we met at Hog Hollow were amazing! Could not do enough for you and we really appreciated it. I fell in love with the cat that lives on-site called Allsorts.

We didn’t go off site to eat we just ate our evening meals at Hog Hollow and joined in with the Communal Dining which was fun as you really got to know different people of all ages and find out about their experiences of South Africa. The breakfasts were amazing aswell! So much choice!

While we were there we did some horse riding which was fantastic. I would say if you are a complete novice rider maybe give it a bit of a miss as some of the hills etc. you climb are steep so the horses have a tendency to try and run up or down them which could be quite scary if you’ve ever ridden before. We had a great time though!

Whilst at Hog Hollow we also drove to the Tenikwa Wildlife Awareness Centre which was AMAZING! Only about a 5 minute drive away. Got to stand in an enclosure with 2 cheetahs a metre away from you. (Don’t turn your back). Had an amazing morning here and got to learn about several of South Africa’s more elusive Big Cats.

This hotel was pure luxury and we had the best time and would go back now if I could!

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our one week stay at Hog Hollow which formed part of "three location" trip across S Africa. Hog Hollow was definitely a highlight. The hotel is very well appointed and most comfortable. Breakfast and dinner were gastronomic delights. All staff are very well trained and very attentive - nothing is too much trouble. However, a special thank you to Shane, the staff member who is a wealth of information regarding local wildlife AND kept both myself and a young child amused demonstrating illusions including card tricks. I don't know who was most mesmerised me or the child! Would definitely recommend a stay here. If the hotel is not full it may be possible to book for a meal - certainly worth doing.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We arrived on Christmas Eve, after driving the garden route from Cape Town, staying 2 nights, had a fantastic stay, nothing was to much trouble, we were in for a suprise on Christmas Night, first canapes and champagne on terrace at 6pm, then we heard the sweet sound of the local choir came to sing to us, it was very emotional and truly spectacular. It certainly made our christmas in South Africa something to remember. Thankyou Hog Hollow all I can say is 2 days were not long enough.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow!!!!

Stayed at Hog Hollow for two nights at the end of September and can barely find the words to say how great this place is! Have travelled quite a bit and can honestly say this is the best place and service we have ever experienced.

If Hog Hollow are reading this, just want to say thank you a million and look forward to returning hopefully in the near future.

We were lucky enough to stay in The Villa so cannot comment on the individual rooms (however saw another friend's and looked very nice) but The Villa was out of this world. Was a bit too chilly to go in the private pool but felt like a lottery winner staying there. The villa was decorated to a very high standard, was extremely comfortable (loved sitting out at sunset by the pool with the forest as a backdrop) we loved it and really did not want to leave.

Every single member of staff at the hotel deserves a thank you (especially the young man and woman that ferried us to the villa and back several times each day) and the little touches made everything (the canapes before the amazing food at dinner, hot water bottles in our beds with a chocolate on our pillows, the general quality and feel of the hotel and even the dog's coming to greet us when we got back to the Villa each day!).

Two little things that stuck out as really personal service were that one night at dinner we had an amazing chocolate and orange dessert and when I jokingly said to the waitress "that was amazing tell the chef I want to marry them and any spares that no one wants you know I'll have them" another one was brought out at no extra cost which was a lovely gesture. In a morning at the amazing breakfast, Eggs Benedit was also served but as I do not eat red meat I was saying to my friend it would be great if they did it with smoked salmon instead and the next morning I was asked if I wanted smoked salmon without me even asking them. By the way, watch out for the monkeys at breakfast, they love the homemade muffins and rightly so because they are delicious but not for them! LOL!!!!

Absolute heaven and would go back in a heartbeat!!!

Much love to Hog Hollow xx