“wonderful work being done”

Jukani Wildlife Sanctuary
Ranked #7 of 14 things to do in The Crags
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Jukani is part of the South African Animal Sanctuary Alliance (SAASA) #PlettPredators #CragsCarnivores #HandsOffOurWildlife #SaasaVisit Come and visit Jukani which is the home of rescued predators and other wildlife where the focus is on conservation and education, specifically on the plight of predators both in captivity and in the wild all over the world.At Jukani you can see most of the larger cats such as lion, Bengal and Siberian tiger, jaguar, leopard, cheetah, puma, caracal and serval together with rarer species such as white lions and tigers and black leopard.The sanctuary is also home to other predators such as African wild dog, hyena, jackal, honey badger and zorilla together with other wildlife such as zebra, springbuck and raccoons. Our experienced and knowledgeable guides will take you on a tour of the sanctuary and introduce you to its inhabitants whilst offering a wealth of interesting and fascinating information regarding each of the species.A visit to Jukani is not just about viewing big cats, it is an informative experience at a sanctuary where the animal's physical and emotional needs are placed first and foremost. Unlike some other facilities, the cats here do not breed and cubs are not removed from their mothers to be 'cuddled' by visitors. These cubs often end their days as trophy hunter's prey. Jukani is a sanctuary, a place of refuge where the wildlife is treated with respect and protected from hunting and other dangers in safe and natural surroundings.The South African Animal Sanctuary Alliance, a non-profit organisation (PBO No. 200/060 667/08 NPO 008 - 464) is the sole custodian of all the animals at Jukani, and therefore their future is secured. Jukani is funded by means of responsible eco-tourism and strives to achieve an effective balance between conservation and economic reality.A restaurant and curio shop is also available together with disabled access and facilities.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
East London, South Africa
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“wonderful work being done”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The guide was most knowledgeable and gave us an idea of the amazing life history of each animal. Captivity for these animals is wrong but they have a home here when their original owners realize what they have done is wrong.

Visited September 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“It's a zoo”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I hate to leave negative reviews so I will start with the positive: They clearly care a lot about the animals and want to provide them with a safe home and the care the animals need.

But this is a zoo. The animals are in enclosures, behind fences and some of the enclosures are pretty small.

With all there is to do in South Africa and chances to see animals roaming and all of that, I cannot recommend.

Tenikwa, while also enclosures, is just down the road and is a much better experience, with chances to interact with the animals as well.

Orlando, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Never again”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This venue should not be allowed to exist! We hardly saw any animals, the guide had no knowledge of what he was talking about and was clearly making up as he went along or when he was asked any questions. I happen to know quite a lot about wild animals, especially big cats, having worked in the industry previously and his information was largely incorrect and downright ignorant. Of all the attractions I have ever been to in my 34 years of travelling, this has got to be the worst! The price we paid was really a rip off quite honestly and I wish I had rather spent my hard earned money elsewhere. Monkeyland is also linked to them which is a pity since I have been there a few times before and enjoyed this attraction each time. I will not be back and nor would I recommend this place.

6 Thank Patricia R
HerRoyalHickup, Social Media Manager at Jukani Wildlife Sanctuary, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Patricia R
I would like to thank you for taking the time to do a review for us, as we welcome all to give their opinion and we use what we can, to improve as much as possible. As for the guide, if you wish to contact me directly on any of the published Jukani email addresses I would greatly appreciate the name or a description of the guide as our guides are very important to us. I will however ensure that ALL our guides are taken through the test again to make sure that they are giving out the correct information and definitely NOT making things up, this I feel is not okay and I thank you for bringing this to my attention.

As for the part where you say you “hardly saw any animals” – this is due to the fact that we are not a Zoo and our animals are not on “display”. Due to their history the animals living out their lives at Jukani Wildlife Sanctuary cannot be realized into the wild but we wish to make their forever home as wild as possible with-in our means. We build enclosures as large as we could for the animals we have and with the space we have. We also ensured that our animals can freely roam about their enclosures and have space to hide if they felt they wanted too. Each enclosure also has a Hobbit-type house for the animals to go into when every they feel like it. It is for this reason why our tickets are not tour tickets but DAY tickets and you can go on as many tours as you like so that you may have the opportunity to see as many animals as you possibly can. By December 2013 we will also start building our Photography Ramps which will make it a lot easier for all to take photos and see the animals whey they are laying further away from where you are.

Monkeyland being linked to Jukani Wildlife Sanctuary can NEVER be a pity as the knowledge and wealth of information the Monkeyland team brings to the table makes this a winning combination in the long run for all the animals!

Vijver
Social Media Manager for all SAASA Companies
Mumbai (Bombay), India
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Amazing variety of Big Cats”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

In case you want to know how the big cats look up close, this is the place to go!

Similar to any zoo, the cats are kept in enclosures and there will be an electric fence in between you and the cats at all times. But what made the trip worthwhile was that some of the cats like lions and tigers were so close to the fence that there was just a few feet distance between you and them. Occasionally you will also get to hear some of the animals roar which makes this guided trip more interesting.

Even though we went to safari in a game reserve later, we were glad we came to this place - because it was only here where we saw some of the big cast like puma, jaguar, white tiger, and white lion.

brenton-on-sea
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“New attraction near Knysna”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

After conducting an educational tour of Jukani park just 5 days after opening, I can recommend this attraction to all travellers in our region interested in wild cats. There are good deals to be obtained should this attraction be grouped with visits to monkey land and birds of Eden.

1 Thank Derrick C