“A wonderful experience”

Wild Cat Experience Tour
Ranked #2 of 16 things to do in The Crags
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Tenikwa grew from humble beginnings in 2002 when the owners started rehabilitating injured birds in a wooded shed behind their house. Today Tenikwa has grown to be one of the largest active Wildlife Rehabilitation Centres in the Western Cape, attending to a diverse variety of animals accepting both terrestrial and marine mammals and birds. Rehabilitating injured and abandoned Wildlife with the goal to release them back to the wild. Our centre rescue, rehabilitate and release between 250 - 450 wild animals annually. We work closely with nature/conservation authorities in our area, CapeNature, SANParks, BirdLife, and SANCCOB. Our Awareness Centre ensures that our Rehabilitation facilities are sustainable, funding the rehabilitation work and to raise awareness of the conservation issues in South Africa, Tenikwa offers various, programs throughout the day, catering for all ages and fitness levels with a focus on providing a conservation-based, informative tour. Guests learn about the indigenous wild cats of South Africa and why they are disappearing from our landscape.Species include African Wild Cats, Serval, Caracal, Cheetah, Leopard and Lions. The Tenikwa encounter is a great follow-on to a game reserve / safari experience; from viewing the cats at a distance to the opportunity to study these beautiful animals at close quarters. Tenikwa also has a Meerkat Meander where visitors can see Meerkats and Tortoises and there is also a variety of indigenous waterfowl, Blue Cranes and Marabou Storks to delight bird watchers. Tenikwa supports the upliftment of local communities through Eco tourism and is environmentally responsible. Entrance fees fund Tenikwa's NPO Wildlife Rehabilitation and Release Programme. Open 365 days a year. Amenities include a Tea Garden for light meals, Parking, Wheel-chair Friendly, Mothers Corner
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I chose to spend my 50th birthday this Saturday past at Tenikwa Wildlife Awareness Centre with my partner. We had an absolutely wonderful and enriching experience, and were treated (and fed!) like royalty by the brilliant people we came into contact with. The animals were such excellent ambassadors for their species, and although I came primarily to see the cats, I even learned to look at baboons with new vision, fear them less and understand and respect them more - difficult for a Capetonian to do! Visiting the hospital and its patients and caretakers showed me what is happening behind the glamour and beauty of the cheetahs - creatures are being helped and rehabilitated. Thanks to the people at Tenikwa, I also have a renewed faith and hope in humanity, knowing that there are some who want to, and do, make a difference to the world. Thanks again to absolutely everybody there everybody for a really great day!

1  Thank AngeMc1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,608)

Reviewed November 21, 2013

We walked the cheetahs here in the evening and I can highly recommend it. Unfortunately the tour pre-ceeding that had rude customers. I have no idea how our guide kept his patience! Everything they were asked and instructed not to do they did and they were very lucky they werent injured!

The tour itself and the guide were brilliant. Very informative and funny to go with it! After we returned we went out with others to walk the Cheetahs. There are no words describing the feeling of this -doing is believing! We also did the shark and crocodile diving in Sth Africa and this is the one memory that will live with me from South Africa.

Great guides, such fun and humour but you always knew they were watching everything at the same time. We got tons and tons of pics here.

This I cannot recommend enough - FYI Booking is essential!

1  Thank sksligo
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Visited Tenikwa when on the Garden Route in September 2013. Enjoyed the park but the most amazing experience was getting to take the Cheetah's on their evening walk.

Although it takes some getting used to and becoming comfortable with these magnificent creatures, once you are it is unforgettable.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

My partner and I visited Tenikwa back in February this year and loved it. We did the sunrise cheetah walk and cat combo. All the staff were friendly and very knowledgeable. We fell in Love with the two cheetahs, Duma and Zeus and ZweLakhe the leopard. We will hopefully back very soon to enjoy another amazing experience.

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

it was a nice visit. nothing spectacular.
cheetas up close, kind of like in a zoo...
not my cup of tea - but nicely done.