All reviews dongmen mrt station famous yongkang street short vacation close to public transport free coffee no window spent nights food street small boutique hotel tourist spots original din tai fung rooms are clean late at night convenience store hotel lobby a great place to stay location is great
Reviewed August 10, 2018

Arrived very late on a Friday night and checked in. Service was decent and the room was very clean. Not huge, but good enough for a short stay in Taipei. Price wasn't too bad either.

It is nicely located and not in a noisy area. Don't bother getting a room with a window... but don't get the 'randomly assigned room upon check-in' option when booking through the Online travel agents. There is a room right next to the lobby where EVERYONE walks by.

Why I won't stay here again? Well first... it was the finals of the world cup weekend. The walls are very thin, my GF and I were woken up every morning around 7am-8am to hear our neighbours talking. We are both heavy sleepers, so this is ridiculously thin.
I put my headphones on and kept on sleeping. Light sleepers, STAY AWAY! Next... the night of the world cup finals ran from 11pm to 1am. That's late. Our neighbours were watching and having a little party next door. I asked front desk to sort out the noise since it was midnight and I wanted to get some sleep. I could hear the phone ring next door (yes the walls are that thin) and nothing happened. Called the front desk again, and the they called again. Nothing happened. I called the front desk again, they said, go sort the problem out yourself since we can't do anything. Never, EVER, have I been asked to sort out a problem myself in a hotel. Shocked!

So I did, and I used my broken Mandarin to talk to the neighbours and eventually they quietened down. All my years travelling, staying in a range of budget to 5 star hotels, and my training in hospitality, has never been met with staff saying sort it out yourself.

Majority of the guests were mainland Chinese and Taiwanese.

Room Tip: Top floor, quiet, and non-window.
  • Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KentonTheTraveller
Reviewed June 1, 2018

I stayed for a week and found the place perfect for my needs. Yes the rooms are small but my room was spotless, cleaned every day, and it had everything you would need. Close to public transport and lots of places to each nearby. 7-11 or other supermarkets close and the hotel had no problems if you carried outside food in. They offered a breakfast which was a sandwich and some fruit. The hotel has a nice friendly atmosphere and the staff were always happy to help. I would stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: My room had no window, I didn't mind but you might!
  • Stayed: April 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed April 23, 2018 via mobile

We were on a 10 day Japan trip before checking in into this hotel. I thought the hotel rooms in Japan were small...but this takes the cake. We booked the triple room. Could only open one suitcase near the entrance. Location was good and the day time receptionist was really helpful and friendly (night time staff was not as helpful). Free laundry and dryer is a plus point. Breakfast not memorable. Left the hotel on a sour note because they charged us 500 for smudges on their linen (easily caused by suitcases accidentally rubbing against the bed). Ark/animal theme gave me the impression it was kids-friendly but it was nothing like that. Will never return and rather stay at other hotels nearby.

Stayed: April 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed March 16, 2018 via mobile

Small boutique hotel near Daan park and the original DinTaiFung. Location is great - near food, bus stops, dongmen mrt, interesting stores and big park (and near good tourist spots too if you are up to walking - otherwise, they are just a few bus/mrt stops away at 15-29NT). The room space is a bit small though...you will need to open luggage bags on the bed
Pros: the hotel theme circles around "thoughtfulness" - from free candies, tea and coffee at the lobby to the candies, cookies, water and tea in the room to nice bathroom amenities to picture maps and books at the lobby to comfy beds, clean sheets and towels; location, accessibility, english-speaking and helpful staff, clean and adequate bathroom space
Possible areas for improvement: variety of breakfast (esp if staying >2 days), add lotion in the bathroom

Note: not ideal for those with strollers or wheelchair

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank jdjoann
Reviewed January 10, 2018 via mobile

I stayed at the Ark Hotel for a week and I had a great time! The staff was really nice and they helped me with the MRT and any other questions I had about the city. The location was definitely great! It was a block from Da’an park and minutes from great night markets and excellent food!

The room I stayed in overlooked the main road and had everything I needed to be comfortable. Breakfast was plenty and they had free coffee and tea. I liked the soaps they provided in the room and the shower was nice.

Thank you!