“TERRIBLE SINCE PEAVINE TOOK OVER”

Peavine Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in High Prairie
Spruce Grove, Canada
“TERRIBLE SINCE PEAVINE TOOK OVER”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

The last time my wife stayed there it was terrible. Front desk was slow to answer, top suite room was filthy. Cleaning staff must have eaten their lunch in there, bread crust, dusty furniture. The Peavine should be ashamed of their quality of service and staff customer service.

Room Tip: Stay at the Days Inn...Just renovated and the staff is more than welcoming.
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Tim M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We arrived to a very rude front desk clerk who really needs to find employment out of the hospitality field. She was rude, miserable and argumentative in the short time you needed to deal with her. Our room was clean however 1 lamp did'nt work and the other lamp had a burnt out light bulb. The bed was comfortable and everything appeared clean. Complimentary coffee in room but you need to go downstairs to get cream. If they replace the front desk help their rating would be much better.

Room Tip: Rooms away from elevator best
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank S R
Alberta
Reviewed April 18, 2011

My work brings me to High Prairie on a regular basis and I have been very loyal to this hotel, I have stayed here at least 8 times in the last couple of years. It used to be a Pomeroy - but was bought out and is now the Peavine. Since the change of ownership I have noticed the service is not nearly what it used to be.

Last time I stayed and it was not as good and I thought it was just a fluke; every good hotel has bad days, right? Unfortunately my experience this time was WORSE!

When I arrived there was nobody at the front to greet me, I stood around for a few minutes and wandered around the lobby. Finally out of the computer room came the front desk lady (I didn't think to look in there as the lights were off). She was very cold and unfriendly - did not appear to enjoy her job at all. She checked me in and gave me a key card - off to my room I go.

I was put in a room almost at the end of the building, when I got inside I realise she put me in the wrong room. I had booked a King room (I like the big bed and extra desk space and seating area). Thankfully I kept my receipt with the confirmation number on it from the online booking. I went back to the front desk to see if there was a King room available, again there was no one at the front desk. This time I was smarter and went to the computer room, the front desk lady was there with her boyfriend/husband – still in the dark. I asked her if there was another room available, she sighed and got up to go to the front desk (it must have been an awful interruption for here). She looked and sure enough there was a king room available, she said to give her the key then I said I just need to go get my bags I didn’t want to haul them down the hallway if I was just going to have to bring them right back if a room wasn’t available. She looked at me and said go get your bags in a snarly tone. When I got back she had a new key card ready for me and told me I was now on the Third floor. I thanked her very much and went up to my new room.

This time I was the third floor on the opposite end of the building, right across the hall from the conference rooms that were under construction. There was dust everywhere, so much dust you could see the footprints going down the hall. The room was a king room and it looked clean, so I was happy. Then 7 am came around and there was a lot of banging – like doors slamming. I think it was from the construction area since there were not that many rooms around me.

After being woken up it was almost time for my alarm to go off anyway so I went downstairs for breakfast. There was a good assortment which was really nice – this was the best part about the stay!

After a day of work I went to the grocery store to pick up something for supper. With a couple bags of groceries in hand I went to the front desk to see if I could borrow a fork or have a plastic one. Again, no one to be found.. After just a minuet the same lady as the day before came out of -you guessed it- the computer room! I asked her for the fork and she just looked and me and went to a cupboard behind the desk and handed it to me without saying a word. I thanked her very much and headed up to my room.

The hallways were obviously not vacuumed again today – there was way more dust all over everything in the hall. The carpet was disgusting. When I got to my room, my keycard would not work. I did not want to leave my groceries on the floor in the hall since it was so gross so I packed everything back to the front desk with me.

At the front desk there was two people checking in, the front desk lady was very slow and was just as cold and ignorant to them. One of the men made a face at me imitating just how 'nice' she was. When they finally got checked in and left the desk she asked me what I wanted. I told her my keycard was not working. She asked me what room, so I told her and she grabbed the key from my hand. She reprogrammed it and handed it back to me not saying anything. I stood there for a second I thought she was going to verify my identity or check the room number but no nothing. She looked back up at me and said `is there anything else’. I said no, I guess not and left back up to my room.

I have never experienced such lousy customer service before at this hotel; this was an all time low. I was in town for meetings and one of my colleagues was staying at the Days Inn, apparently it was a nice new hotel. Next time I think I will try it out – I don’t think I will be back here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank fly0nthewall
Lethbridge, Alberta
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I stayed here for just over two weeks for business. I was very pleased. I had a huge suite with a real kitchen and lovely living area and bedroom and bathroom. It was very quiet and comfortable. The air conditioning system worked really well and was quiet. The windows did open. The pool and business area were never very busy. The staff were friendly, helpful and kind. The only concern is cleanliness. I cleaned the kitchen when I arrived and even boiled the kettle to really clean the kitchen. Also, the kitchen tap was broken and took two days for it to get fixed. The hallways and general areas weren't always cleaned very well. But I was very pleased with the hotel and the room.

The restaurant had great food. The morning breakfast was a nice touch and the woman staffing and cleaning the kitchen area was amazingly efficient.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2009

I stayed 3 nights. This is High Prairie's best hotel. Easy to find along the highway at the eastern edge of town. Great restaurant attached. The hotel meeting rooms also kept busy. Four floors; 2 elevators.

Lobby includes a welcoming fireplace. Breakfast area next to it has 10 tables of four with tv and poolview. Breakfast includes self-serve waffles, cereal, yogurt, baked goods, fresh fruit, boiled eggs. REAL DISHES. That's right. Juice glasses. Ceramic cereal bowls. There's always a breakast staff member replenishing and clearing tables.

Pool open till 10pm includes waterslide and whirlpool. 24 hour fitness room has a treadmill, eliptical, and weightstation. No fan; windows don't open. There's spray to wipe equipment and upscale watercooler. Music controlled with a wall knob.

Rooms are modern with quality furnishings and comfy beds. High speed worked well. Window opens partially. Fridge and microwave in cupboard area with a sink. That area is with floor tile - practical. Small open closet with iron and board. Bathroom has white tub surround. Spa-quality toiletries. Large vanity.

Beds at Pomeroy are amazingly comfortable - and great high-count linens.

Two disappointments: the new room carpet doesn't lie flat in several places. Perhaps improperly steam cleaned? Also, really limited space between beds in the wall. Sort of like a Holiday Inn Express room, but smaller.

Even with the quality of this property, I still thought it pricey. Yet, overall a great stay. Can't imagine returning to anything but Pomeroy in High Prairie.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Whitecourt
Reviewed February 24, 2008

I was very surprised by the hotel's resturant/steak house, it was very good and they have a good selection of belgium beer. The hotel is build very cheaply, it is a wood frame construction with no insulation between rooms, so you can hear the neighbors snoring and walking on the floor above.
I would not stay here again but I would eat at the reaturant again.

Stayed February 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed July 19, 2007

This hotel is by far the nicest in High Prairie. Great, clean rooms. Nice staff. Great free breakfast. Attached to a good restaurant - Egans.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Peavine Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!