“The best kept secret charm of Sogod.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Padre Burgos Castle Resort

Padre Burgos Castle Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Padre Burgos
Mexico City, Mexico
“The best kept secret charm of Sogod.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

Stayed at this hotel with my family including my parents and sister. As I am from Leyte and has travelled extensively around the world, Me & my family has been somewhat been spoilt by the many experiences we have had travelling and living around the globe. As far as Asia is concerned, we know from experience that you don't have to pay a top notch price to get spoilt and don't feel like you are being ripped-off while having a good time. We have tried many times other hotels along the Leyte-Samar region and has never been convinced that there is anywhere worth going where we can relax and enjoy ourselves without the hassle of poor service and low quality standard hotel. Here in Padre Burgos Castle Hotel, we feel like we were in the sanctuary of our own private hotel. The rooms were very clean including the beach side and exterior part of the hotel. Our gastronomic experience with each meals were exceptional, thanks to Delia, the owner's wife who uses only local produce and fresh catch of the day from the island. David has been a truly good host and offers very good advise depending on what activities you have in mind. Since we were not a group of scuba enthusiasts, we opted to arrange for an island trip which luckily was the best sunny day of the entire three days we spent at Padre Burgos. We did a bit of snorkelling and swimming around Limasawa island, a very historical island as it was where the first religious catholic mass was celebrated in Philippines in March 1521. Our booking included arranged pick-up from and to Tacloban. The hotel shuttle service was excellent with enough leg room, large windows to be able to see the beautiful landscape and bay of Southern Leyte and the aircons were perfectly working and an impressive and careful driver. Despite of slight delay due to the fact that the bus had a minor problem on it's way to Tacloban for our pick-up, we were receiving constant updates via sms message from David as to how far the bus were from Tacloban. Finally our pick-up arrived approximately around 10.30am instead of the expected 8.30am but we were assured by the driver that he will get us to Padre Burgos in 2 1/2 hours instead of three, which he did. When we finally arrived at Padre Burgos Castle Resort, David was there to receive us, with a cold welcome drinks. As soon as we finally got settled in our individual rooms (we had 3 rooms out of the 5 rooms available of the hotel), we were instantly ushered to the restaurant where we had the first gourmet experience of Delia's superb cooking and a surprise offer from David of a complimentary bottle of wine for us to go with our food to compensate our delay. This gesture truly manifests good service and professionalism on the part of the management. Our overall experience on this trip was excellent and plans to go back again next year for our home leave.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank DiosadelMundo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Old hand of Asia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010

My wife is from Padre Burgos and I have traveled there 6 times since 2002. I really enjoy Padre Burgos and the surrounding area for its pristine natural beauty and it being "untouched" by the tourist trade. This is the REAL Philippines that you would never get to see if the big cities of Manila, Cebu or Davao, not is it overcrowded with tourists like you would find in Boracay, Subic, Bohol and other places. If you want to capture the majestic natural beauty of the Philippines, along with untouched, authentic Philippine culture and life, than Southern Leyte, and more in particular Padre Burgos is the place to go.

My wife's house is quite small and she has a large family so when I am in town I usually stay at one of the local resorts in PB (there were only three to choose from before). All of them cater to the low to mid range diving crowd. I enjoy diving, and in fact got my PADI certification a few years ago at one of the other resorts in PB, and while I enjoy diving, it is not passion and I dont want to do it every day I am in PB. When you stay at the other resorts, you often feel pressured or obligated to dive as this is where these resports make thier money. As for these other resorts, the accommodations are unremarkable but sufficient. The food is basic and filling, but very average.

Therefore I was very excited when I heard about the opening of the Padre Burgos Castle and I checked the website. I decided to try PB Castle on this trip and I am so glad I did. PB Castle caters to a higher level of traveler. David and Delhia try to attain the highest standards and succeed at doing so.

The place is immaculately clean and the rooms are spacious. The bed are very comfortable and inviting. The bathroom and clean and functioning and the hot showers actually work. The landscape and gardens are also well impeccably maintained.

And the food.......its delicious. I always fretted in the past when I visited PB because you could never get good food. Well at PB Castle, you don't have to worry any more. I really enjoyed my mornings where I would sit on the patio and eat by breakfast while taking in the breathtaking views of Sogod Bay and LImasawa Island. Because it was not easy to find proper bread for making toast, David and Dehlia invested in a bread maker and make thier own fresh bread at the castle. You will certainly enjoy the gourmet cooking at PB Castle.

We also hosted to dinners at PB Castle for my wife's friends and family. PB Castle Staff came threw with shining colors serving delicious local and international dishes that everyone enjoyed.

I also have two young children (8 yo and 1.5 yo girls). Their favorite part of the castle was the pool. We enjoyed swimming in the pool (and down at the beach) every day. One of the great features of the pool is to sit in the pool, sip on a cool mango shake and watch the sun go down over Sogod Bay. Its magical.

If you are a low end budget traveler just looking for a place to lie your head at night, this is not for you. If you are looking for a place to enjoy a relaxing, romantic, leisurely holiday with "5 star" service. Than this is the place to come.

"Attention to detail" is the hallmark of PB Castle and they will endeavor to meet your needs. As I told David and Dehlia, unless my friends were divers, I was always reluctant to invite them to visit PB. Now that PB has the PB Castle, I am more than comfortable to encourage and invite any of my friends and their families to visit Padre Burgos because I know they wont be disappointed due to PB Castle.

So if you are individual who is looking to "get away", a couple looking for a romantic holiday, or an family wanting to enjoy and explore Southern Leyte, than I recommend PB Castle to you.

One last thing about Padre Burgos. There is more than just diving to do there. The diving resorts only want you to do that when you are in PB because that is the way they make money. However, there are many other exciting things to do in PB and the surroundings. There are waterfalls, hiking in the hills and through the jungle, visiting the old churches, heading out to Limasawa to explore the island and visit one of Christianity's and the Philippines' most important historical locations.

The local folk of PB are extremely friendly and easy going. Although sometimes shy, they love visitors and they will always try thier best to make friends and accommodate any of your needs.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chredwa
Dunedin, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

We were impressed with the resort from the very first contact - an enquiry over the internet. The response and subsequent communications with David were excellent and he assisted us with our booking arrangements as well as suggesting some travel alternatives.

Once we arrived things just kept getting a whole lot better. From the time that David picked us (Mama, Papa and three year old boy) up at Tacloban Airport until the time we said our goodbyes on the Hilongos wharf we couldn't have wished for a better place to stay, or for better hosts!!

The service was excellent, staff were always available, attentive and willing to help. The staff were always on hand - but never imposing. The staff were at all times friendly and smiling.

This is the place to come to if relaxing is on the agenda. You can take advantage of the local area and perhaps take in some scuba diving or you can relax on the beach, go swimming in the clear waters, relax on the patio, beside the pool, or even in the pool. This is a place where doing nothing is easy to do.

David is knowledgable of the area and local activities and only to willing to share his local knowledge with guests and make their stay as easy and hassle free as possible.

The highlight of our stay has to be the food - or more specifically Delia's fine cuisine. The food is worth a visit to the resort by itself. It is worth noting that each day Delia discusses with guests an appropriate dinner menu taking into account guests likes and tastes. Our first evening started with delicious King prawns and just got better each day as Delia took us on a culinary journey of the local produce. The highlight of it all was the Crispy Pata - simply mouth watering delicious!!

We look forward to our next stay.

Bruce, Estrella and Marcelo

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank BruceAndFamily
no details please
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2010

Beautiful resort with swimming pool and private beach, beautiful views.
Dehlia, the owner will spoil you with her cooking skills.
They offer a pick up service from anywhere on the island.
Rooms are nicely decorated and all have AC.
Very dedicated owners and staff who will try to make your stay worry free.
One can snorkel right in front of the hotel.
There is nothing else to do but snorkel, dive, relax and enjoy Delia's cooking.

Diving: they offer a drop of and pick up service to the dive operators. We did dive with Sogod Bay divers and were happy with our choice. 2 dives per trip and back before lunch. Afternoon and night dives available.
The diving is supreme, the walls around Sogod bay and around the island Limawasa are without any exception all beautiful and healthy. To see the whale sharks one has to pick the right season. We saw them on several occasions in a relaxed atmosphere and not together with 50 other guests.
My highlight was to see a harlequin cuttle fish :))
There is a pharmacist in Padre Burgos, but medicines are extremely expensive.
The trip to get here took a long time.
Flight via Singapore to Cebu, then a ferry and a car transfer provided by our hotel, but it was worth it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bonsel
Moscow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

The Leyte Island is a wonderful place for diving. I've come to go diving with my friends.The underwater nature impressed me very much - a variety of fishes and corals was marvellous! After diving I could have a rest at The Padre Burgos Castle Resort. I like it for it's comfortable rooms, very beautiful area with a swimming pool and realy nice beach. The seaview out of my room was also cool! Every day started with a classic music and delicious breakfast. There were a variety of dishes and I really liked the service. That spacial atmosphere was made by owners David and Dalia Warren. Thanks a lot for their hospitality. That was a great vocation that I won't forget!

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank Elvira4
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2010

A "homestay" in a castle so should we say "castlestay"?

This is just too good to keep as a secret. Especially in a place as remote as the southern tip of Leyte.

All of the reviews have been really honest and true - we know that for a fact. We stayed in PBCR end of March for 6 nights and indeed enjoyed every moment we spent there.

Being divers, we were unsure of how the set-up would work for us because we ideally prefer booking ourselves in the dive resort itself. It just makes gearing and setting-up easier. But after our experience, we would definitely consider doing this again because David & Delia's (the owners) attention to us made the whole arrangement a million times more memorable and unforgettable.

What else do you say when you get to dive in sites that are of world-class quality and then at the end of the day get "out-of-the-ordinary" hosts/accommodation rolled into one??

The personal service that you get when you stay in the Castle is just like spending your holiday in a relative's place. Rooms are spacious, clean and organized. Food can be chosen, ordered and prepared to your liking, served when you like it and where you want it. Icing on the cake -- they have a gorgeous beach front that you can put up as a screensaver!

They only have 5 rooms so make sure you book fast...

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank BeanieBeeny
Amersfoort
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2010

We stayed at Padre Burgos Castle Resort from Christmas 2009 until January 7, 2010. In one word: PERFECT!! David and Delia and their staff are doing everything to make you feel like a queen/king. All of the rooms are cosy and tastefully decorated. Delia is a wonderful cook. David gave us advise about the wines, we tried them all. And the girls/men of the staff are offering a special, friendly but professional service in a warm atmosphere. We can recommend this castle resort in combination with the Sogod Bay Scuba Resort, where we were diving every day (3 dives per day). David was our private taxidriver every morning and afternoon to and from the diving resort. So, if you would like to stay in Leyte: Padre Burgos Castle Resort is the place to go!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in Hinunangan
Kuting Reef
Kuting Reef
#1 of 2 in Macrohon

Been to Padre Burgos Castle Resort? Share your experiences!