i do not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone who comes to dive. it is a dive 'resort' plain and simple. aside from apo reef it is the best diving i experienced in the philippines - including coron wrecks, dauin, apo island, camiguin. the word among other divers who had been diving other places is the same. this is not the place to come for pelagics. the whale sharks were a bonus, and if it is whale shark season your chances of getting up close are good.
the food is good. the staff is good. the owners can be a bit tempermental but so what so can i. i wasn't treated like a baby on the dives. they check you out, see what you can safely do, and let you and your buddy go at it. the resort dm will rightly focus on the less experienced or less competent divers. if you don't have a buddy - as i didn't - you will before you jump off the boat. several people were working on their dm cert when i was there (and each of them were my buddy at one time or another), and i heard no complaints. i would not hesitate to take my dm training from sbdr.
i made my reservation a few months in advance. no money was exchanged. a couple of weeks before my arrival they emailed asking if i was still planning to come. i said yes and when i got there - at around midnight - the room was waiting. the next day i met someone who had been turned away the afternoon i was to arrive. no money exchanged hands until my checkout 5 days later. so they gave up a sure thing on the basis of an electronic handshake.
there is no night life to speak of, but there is a small, welcoming vkb a very short walk down the street serving good food and cold beer. didn't get into padre burgos, but i understand there are a couple of small places there as well.
if you take a day off diving there is a small scooter/motorcycle rental place a very short walk down the street as well. padre burgos is a few miles down the road (not walking distance). in the other direction the road stretches all around sogod bay so you shouldn't run out of things to do on an off day. did i mention it is quiet? or that the reason to come here is to dive? i look forward to returning and hitting one of the many sites i didn't get to see during my far too short 5 day stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our accommodation has been designed with quality and comfort in mind. Since opening in February 2006 all of our guests have been impressed by the quality of our accommodation. Our cottages are equipped with air-conditioning and a fan and each cottage overlooks Sogod Bay, just a few metres from the shore.Similarly, the resort staff have all been hand picked to ensure that our guests feel welcome and our restaurant serves a variety of cuisines.Last, but certainly not least, the Sogod Bay Dive Resort is at the forefront of a number of environmental initiatives designed to maintain and enhance the local dive environment. Specifically, our resort is the sole sponsor of four recently established marine sanctuaries, three of which are within either walking distance or a ten minute boat ride of the resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz and Agoda so you can book your Sogod Bay Scuba Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sogod Bay Scuba Hotel Padre Burgos
- Sogod Bay Scuba Resort Padre Burgos, Southern Leyte Province, Philippines