“Divers Paradise”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Padre Burgos
montboyer
“Divers Paradise”
Reviewed December 9, 2011

My wife and I are, I suppose, what one might call keen divers, regularly visiting the Philippines over the course of the last twenty five years. In that time we have dived many of the best known dive locations in the Philippines but one of the spots that has now become a virtual pilgrimage for us on our bi-annual trips to the Philippines is Sogod Bay Scuba Resort (SBSR).

The best description of SBSR I can offer is that it is a dive resort run by divers for divers. On this basis, in my opinion, it is an unqualified success. The diving is superb, the dive staff excellent as indeed are the house staff. The accommodation is large, bright, comfortable and spotlessly clean. And last but not least the prices are very reasonable. As a keen diver, that just about ticks all the boxes for me!

The main attraction for us though is obviously the diving itself. Sogod Bay is blessed with some of the best hard coral we have ever seen in the Philippines. Turtle Rock, Coral Garden and Heaven's Gate are particularly worth a mention. In addition, there are some really top class dives sites such as Napantao Wall and Max's Climax with their prolific fishlife. Add in the excellent possibility of sighting whalesharks (depending on the time of year) and you really do have a the complete package. Oh, I just left out possibly the most renowned of Sogod's dive sites, the night dive at Padre Burgos Pier!

A word of warning! If you are a non diver there really isn’t very much to do in the area. Reading some of the negative reviews on the resort, it looks to me that they were written by non-divers who made a poor choice of destination in the first place and then ,when disappointed with their choice, decided to take it out on the resort itself. This seems very unfair to me. As far as I am concerned, SBSR has always delivered exactly what it said it would on the tin!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank LangladeMontboyer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I have stayed at Sogod bay scuba resort 3 times, and I´ve had a great time every visit.

I like the relaxed and friendly atmosphere, as well at the resort as on the diveboat.
I have stayed both in the rooms in the two story building across the road, and in a beach room, and I find them clean, fresh and comfortable. And the view from the beach room verandas can´t get much better.

The diving has been really good, lots of macro and nice corals. Good service on the boat, the guys always had the gear ready for us with a smile.
And the resort managers and staff are environmentally conscious and cares about the conservation of the area.

The bay is a good place to spot whalesharks, when they decide to show up, (they are wild animals).
I have been to the resort in three different months. February, april and november, and have been lucky enough to see them every time.

Besides diving, there´s not that much other tourism in the area yet. But it has some potential, and there might be some things there that I don´t know about.

I can certanly recommend this place to anyone thinking of a dive vacation in the Philippines!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Nik77_11
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed November 24, 2011

We had emailed all 3 dive shops around Padre Burgos (Peter's, Sogod Bay Scuba Resort, and Southern Leyte Divers), and SBSR gave us the best and most extensive response to all our questions, so we went there (flight to Tacloban at noon, taxi to the bus terminal, minivan to Sogod, and finally the local bus that dropped us right at the gate at 6pm - yes, it's a bit of a journey, but easy to do even for one who has never been to the Philippines. We found the room new, nice and clean (looking directly out on the beach), the restaurant fine (and the Kinilaw excellent), the diving perfectly organized, and the staff very friendly and competent. And the bill after 3 days of diving - very reasonable. Overall we liked SBSR very much and would recommend it to any diver (or whale shark aficionado). Seriously: I have no idea what went wrong with the other guys (see the negative reviews), but our stay was perfect.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank wweber99
Manila
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Sogod Bay Scuba Resort,Lungsodaan, Padre Burgos, Southern Leyte 6600, Philippines

I have been travelling and diving all around the Philippines over the past four years and have been attracted back to Sogod Bay Scuba Resort (SBSR) over and over again ... on average 2 times each year.

Sogod Bay, S. Leyte, Philippines was in fact my very first Philippine dive location. Yes I know ... "the first time is the best time". But that's not it. I go back because it is one of my very favourite dive locations. Here's why:

In short, the positives ...
- looks marvelous from the sea: the one place you wish was yours
- run by real people: seemingly with an interest in the success of the resort & the community
- staffed by genuine locals: with the great charm of smiles and Filipino hospitality
- professionally-run diving: properly managed, staffed by PADI professionals
- great dive-sites: for "macro" and a huge variety of creatures both large & small

In short, the negatives ...
- highly oriented toward divers (not a negative, except for non-divers)
- a three-hour / P3,500 van ride from the nearest airport (or five-hour / P130 by bus)
- lack of off-resort dining & entertainment
- fish-sellers blowing conch-horns at day-break

SBSR proper is a beautiful bungalow with a plank-floored open-plan bar & dining room (bare-footed is best) flanked by a wide and airy tiled terrace, with large tables and comfortable chairs ... all sitting just three-meters from the broken-coral shoreline. The white plaster walls, glass & wood door & windows and tiled areas give a "Mediterranean" feel. The water is crystal clear with one of the very best Sogod Bay dive-sites located directly in front of the resort within the Marine Protected Area (MPA).

The food & drinks menu is varied. All the bases have be covered from English meat-pies and Bangers & Mash to Thai Fish Cakes and Pancit Canton. There are always two "daily" specials, which can be ordered on their own or with freshly home-made soup or other starter and desert. Fresh fruit juices and shakes are always available. There is a (limited) beer, wine and liquor selection.

Next to the bungalow are five shore-line rooms, simply furnished but spacious, with ceiling fan and air-conditioner. Each room has twin-beds, side-tables & reading lamps, bamboo occasional table & chairs and a water kettle with gratis coffee & tea. Outside these rooms is a tiled terrace with a drying-rack for towels and swim-wear (nice touch) overlooking a shaded area complete with hammock. The laid-back deck-chairs & table are perfect for a favourite evening tipple while enjoying the cool sea-breeze and lapping shores.

Additional rooms are a short walk along the road from the resort proper and located in a private compound attached to the Dive Manager's residence. This "annex" has three floors, with the ground area encompassing a bar, tables & chairs and a pool-table. Above this are two floors of two rooms each; in every way identical to those at the shoreline ... but including a stocked refrigerator and cable TV.

All bed-rooms include "comfort rooms" (CRs) including hot & cold showers, sink, toilet-bowl, mirrored toiletry cabinet and clothes shelves & hangers. Common areas also have CRs ... avoiding the need to run to your own room to freshen-up. The dive-shop is beside the resort proper and has all the necessary washing & hanging facilities, including showers.

The resort's two large native-style outrigger motor-boats (Bancas) are moored off the resort and approached aboard a shuttle boat pulled by hand along a tethering line. Nice touches found on-board are a CR, a barrel of fresh water for rinsing masks & cameras and free drinking water, coffee, tea & biscuits. Up-front is absolutly the best lay-out ever for divers to gear-up and on either side super-easy "exit" ladder configurations. With an on-time departure time, divers always seem to be in good spirits as they embark for the day.

This is not a review of the diving in Sogod Bay but, in my view, it is very, very good; especially for "macro". The dive operation is professionally run and I have always felt very safe when diving with SBSR. In addition to Whale Shark excursions there are various minor local attractions for off-days with sail-boat & motorbike rental nearby. Free WiFi is available but relatively slow. The nearest "shopping" is in Maasin Town; about one hour by public transport (jeepney or multi-cab).

In my experience, divers have come to dive ... and this is the priority for this resort.

Room Tip: As for a sea-front room.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank SaranganiDiver
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2011

I had intended to stay next door at Pete' s Dive Resort but they were full. Next place to stay was Sogod Bay Scuba Resort. At first glance it seemed quite nice. Staff were nice.
This quickly changed!
This may sound unbelievable but this is truly the experience I had....

As I was sitting in their restaurant I witnessed another guest ask one of the owners at the table next to me a question regarding their Whale Shark tours. The owner (the Australian guy) responded by yelling at the customer and then it escalated into an argument that the customer eventually brought back to conversation. When the customer left the restaurant, the owner looked at me and started to complain about the guy.
EYE OPENER!

When I signed for the room the lady at desk told me there was a T.V., fridge and hot shower. WOW, hadn't seen T.V. in awhile nor had a hot shower!! I get to my room and the T.V. is there all right, but it did not work. Oh well, I was really looking forward to the shower... Whoops, it didn't work either. Well it did work 25% of the time. The fridge did work though.
With the memory of the owner yelling at another customer fresh in my mind I quietly went to the front desk the next morning to mention the T.V. and shower. No sooner did I tell the lady about the T.V. than she gave a mean look and said they would look into it in the next week. Whoa! I was not going to mention the shower.

Having done some diving with this resort I can say one of the dive masters was less than professional. Of the 4 dives I completed here the dive master lost others or myself on 3 dives. Not only lost but failed to notice anyone was missing on 2 of the dives.

I stayed in the Philippines for 6 weeks on this trip and stayed at 11 different resorts or hotels. Without a doubt this was my least favourite experience. What is funny is when I paid the bill the owner asked me to come outside with him. He then had a yelling match with me. He informed me "this is the Philippines and poor customer service is just the way it is". What a charmer. After he was through yelling I walked down the road and stayed at Pete's Dive Resort for more diving and really had an excellent experience.

Oh, and for the T.V. and shower not working they did give me a discount; 100 pesos off the nearly 20,000 pesos bill. Kind is not a word I would use for these people.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
13 Thank canoediver
Toronto Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2011

If your undersea events happen to take you to Padre Burgos, in south Leyte, you won't go to far wrong by staying at the Sogod Bay Scuba Resort. One of the owners, Phil is friendly and can provide excellent help in your continuing journey. Don't get too close to Ron the other owner, though. He looks like he might bite. If you're looking to improve your scuba skills, Pedro the dive instructor is ever friendly and patient.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jack-Dru
Matawan, New Jersey
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Returned from a year ago.
Good choice.
Good diving.
Great Staff.
Good food.
Food a little bit pricey so consider the local rest. next door (but you need to order the day before for them).
I will return to visit them again summer 2011.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
#2 of 3 in Padre Burgos
Leyte Dive Resort
Leyte Dive Resort
#1 of 1 in Malitbog

Been to Sogod Bay Scuba Resort? Share your experiences!