1,119 results
All reviews main building chinese palace chiang kai shek free shuttle foreign dignitaries rich history prestige lounge traditional chinese style historical hotel visiting dignitaries small museum red carpet from afar mountain view traditional hotel shilin night market mainland china
Reviewed October 8, 2017

All you expect from a 5-star hotel you can get it here, especially with Chinese luxury style. Although the location is bit away from the MRT station, they kindly provide free shuttle buses for guests. You won't get disappointed with it.

• Stayed: November 2016, traveled solo
1  Thank Hsiang-Chi
圓山大飯店, 公關經理 at Grand Hotel Taipei, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2017

Dear Valued Customer: Welcome! Thank you for your continual support for the Grand Hotel. We look forward to see you again soon and hope that you will find enjoyment in our excellent, comprehensive service and the serene beauty of the Grand Hotel. Wishing you all the best. Yours Truly,

Reviewed October 5, 2017 via mobile

On my first trip to Taiwan 30 years, I was in awe of this hotel looking so Chinese up on the base of the mountain as seen from the taxi ride from the airport to Taipei. I recently fulfilled my 30 year old dream by staying here. Before Taipei’s wonderful MRT subway system, the hotel could only be accessed by taxi. Now the MRT will get you very close.
I took the MRT from the Main train station and got off at Jiantan station. It was about a 15 minute walk to the Grand Hotel. This is not recommended if you have suitcases. The shortcut has you climbing many steps. The hotel also has a shuttle service to Yuanshan MRT station with shuttles leaving every 30 minutes.
Like most hotels there are different size rooms. The Grand Hotel also has an annex called the Chin-Lin annex. If you want a room in the main building don’t choose the annex. The remodeled rooms are more of a simplified elegant versus being ornate. Some original elements still exists such as the wood floors and the night stand between the two beds. There is a cash mini bar and the usual toiletry amenities.
Two breakfast locations are available. On the main floor is the Asian and Western buffet. On the 10 floor in the Prestige Lounge is what they call the Muslim breakfast. I found the Prestige Lounge to be not very crowed and with great views. If you don’t need your ham or bacon in the morning, the Prestige Lounge is a good choice. On the 10 floor is also a small fitness room. There is also an outdoor swimming pool.
Why you should stay at the Grand Hotel?
Maybe you don’t want all your Taiwan visit to be in the Grand Hotel, but try to stay there one night. You will be staying in an historically significant building. It was built when the Republic of China on Taiwan was realizing they would not be taking back mainland China and a high quality hotel was needed for visitors and diplomats beginning to do business with Taiwan. Its construction detail was rumored to have been overseen by Madam Chiang Kai Shek. The grand foyer is two stories with lots of reds symbolling good luck in the Chinese culture. Today there are many restaurants, a small museum with old hotel artifacts, and gift shops selling Taiwanese art and sweets. While not a new hotel, it has been remodeled to where it has modern hotel standards but still retains some of that early character from when Taiwan was emerging with its own identity.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled solo
1  Thank Tom O

Dear Valued Customer:Thank you for choosing to stay at The Grand Hotel!
We are very glad to know that you were satisfied with your room, our service and meals in Restaurant. Your approval is certainly the motive for us to improve our service quality.
Thank you once again for your support, and we look forward to serving you again.
Wishing you all the best!
Yours Truly,

Reviewed September 9, 2017

Right off the bat, this hotel was stunning to look at, the outside is an attraction and the lobby area could have come straight off a movie set. My whole reasoning for booking this hotel was to take photos of it.

Unfortunately, we only checked in at around midnight. The front desk was quite helpful but I was a little surprised that we took our bags up to our room by ourselves, no help was offered even though we were the only people there and walked right passed the concierge.

The room was a little smaller than I had imagined but it was very clean and well layed out. We asked for more pillows and they obliged in a very timely manner. We also had an issue with our air-conditioner but they came in and fixed in about 10 minutes.

I kind of regret not booking the room with the balcony, I think that would have been a wonderful view.

Since we checked in so late, I thought I'd take that opportunity to go back down to the lobby and shoot it without people around, I'm so glad that I did.

The breakfast was good with not too many western options, as you'd imagine from a place trying to give off an Asian vibe.

There is a free shuttle going to the nearest MRT station (Yuanshan station, red line), this was lovely for traveling to the city centre and back.

If I do decide to go for another stay, I'd like to experience the room with a balcony.

PS. I've heard stories that this hotel is haunted, I can't say that anything along those lines happened to us but the corridors do look like they came straight out of the movie "The Shining"

Room Tip: I'd recommend trying to book a room with a balcony, this way you can experience the beauty this hotel has to offer.
  • Stayed: February 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Prevlin
圓山大飯店, 公關經理 at Grand Hotel Taipei, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2017

Dear Guest, We would like to deeply apologize for the distraught that our poor lobby reception desk services have caused you. We will enhance our staff’s service trainings to avoid situations like this from happening again. We look forward to see you again. Wishing you all the best! Yours Truly,

Reviewed September 4, 2017 via mobile

This is a really gorgeous hotel with a lot going on. People coming and going everywhere and they had Indian type festivities in the foyer.
It's not in the heart of Taipei but was only a $100 (equivalent of about $4aud) taxi ride to the night Markets.
Rooms were a great size with a really nice balcony. Nice bedding, nice amenities and clean bathrooms.
Would highly recommend.

Stayed: September 2017, traveled on business
圓山大飯店, 公關經理 at Grand Hotel Taipei, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2017

Reviewed September 3, 2017

Grand Hotel is not called grand for no reason. It is HUGE and spacious, giving one a feeling of freedom to move about in a palace-like setting. The hotel interiors somehow reminded me of the living environment of ancient Chinese dynasties and emperors.

The rooms are well kept. Towels and linen are pristine. Much like the hotel, the room is spacious, boasting of terraces that offer a beautiful view of the Keelung River and the city.

As in most parts of Taiwan, language is challenging. Most of the customer service staff have limited English-speaking ability. I would advise downloading an app that can help one translate common phrases. Customer service staff are definitely responsive - they get your requests done in no time.

On breakfast food, Grand Hotel offers the usual buffet consisting of a variety of cuisine - Chinese, Japanese, Continental, American, European. Tastes good, northing outstanding when I compare to buffet breakfasts offered in similar hotels in Hongkong or Singapore.

If you're the type who wants to be in the tourist city center, this is not the hotel for you. The malls and tourist attractions are a shuttle and train ride away. There is a shuttle bus that brings you to the nearest train station (Yuanshan) and back to the hotel on regular intervals. Cabs are easy to get as well.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
圓山大飯店, 公關經理 at Grand Hotel Taipei, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2017

Dear Valued Customer:Thank you for choosing to stay at The Grand Hotel!
Wishing you all the best!
Yours Truly,