Grand Hotel Taipei
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
The Riviera Hotel(Zhongshan District)
Grand Hotel(Shilin)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Prima Casa(Zhongshan District)
  • Room Service
Empress Hotel(Zhongshan District)
  • Free Internet
1,038 results
All reviewsmain buildingchinese palacechiang kai sheklarge balconygolden dragonforeign dignitariesrich historyfree shuttleprestige loungevisiting dignitariessmall museumred carpetfrom afarchinese culturehotel shuttleinteresting hoteltraditional hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 28, 2014

When my taxi passed by the hotel on the freeway, the driver told me that it was the first five-star hotel in Taiwan. From a distance, it did not look special. However, when the car entered the property, I was totally amazed by the look of the building. I loved the red color and the lobby decor with giant red lanterns. It is said the steamed red bean cake was specially created for the late First Lady, Mrs. Song-Mei-Ling Kiang. It was very good. By the way, the hotel offers free shuttle service from/to the subway station every 20 minutes.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I visited Grand Hotel with a friend during 1 May holidays. Most of the people told me that this was an old hotel and they would rather not stay there. How wrong they are!

As its name suggested, this is really a grand hotel. The decoration is very Chinese and each detail reflects the rich deposit of Chinese culture. We were upgraded into a suit which has a view of the city and the river. The room is clean, spacious and nicely decorated. Though the deco is a bit dated, it does not affect functionality at all.

Food and service are kind of average, but the concierge are very helpful. Also the hotel offers frequent shuttle bus services.

I enjoyed the stay there very much. If this is your first time in Taipei, you have got to spend a night there.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We did not stay at the hotel but came here for a business lunch meeting. Everything is red with giant lanterns and the musicians playing added to the ambiance. The menu was a mix of mostly familiar (Cesar Salad, salmon...) and less familiar items. My mobile phone battery had run low and the concierge graciously charged it for me during our meeting - this only contributed to the overall positive impression I had during the 3 + hours we spent there. We asked to see a couple of rooms and were very surprised by how very small and windowless the standard rooms here were. This is a very historical hotel with a rich history -- I would suggest coming here to visit, even if you do not wish to stay at the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 1, 2014

This isn’t the first time I’ve stayed at this hotel and I seem to recall that the majestic look of the hotel was so impressive when I was on a course at the Chien Tan facility opposite that I was determined to return one day to stay here.
Well, a few years ago, I did and wasn’t that impressed with it as the rooms were small and the design was dated.
So this time when we had a conference at the Chien Tan building opposite, my colleagues arranged the accommodation here. Out of our group, I was the only one who had stayed here previously and I viewed my previous opinion.
However, on this stay, it seems that there’s been a renovation and we also stayed in the higher premium floors or rooms, I’m not sure which?
We had access to the lounge on the 13th floor and there was an interconnecting stairway between the 12th floor where I was staying and the 13th lounge.
On the subject of the lounge, I have good and not so good views of this. Yesterday, my colleagues and I went there for a coffee and meeting and we were told by the hostess that one of our other colleagues brought a guest there for coffee earlier and would need to pay extra for his guest! I thought this was pretty petty as there were six of us staying here, paying around 7000NT per night and they’re concerned about a cup of coffee and not even a very good cup at that! However, I went up there this afternoon for a coffee and to read the newspapers and the service was excellent! I wanted to borrow a marker pen to write my address on a carton and they arranged for the concierge to drop one off in my room! So there we are, from my perspective, they’ve redeemed themselves!
It seems to me that there’s a lack of consistency in service, for example, I received a newspaper on the first morning but not after that! But the laundry service was great and they went to a lot of trouble to stitch the collar of my suit when the lining under the collar was exposed.
You may recall what I said about the room on my previous stay? Well, it was the complete opposite this time! The room was spacious with high ceilings and a bed that had to be over three metres wide! I could have slept another four people in there comfortably!
There was a large balcony which I didn’t use at all because it never stopped raining for my whole stay! But it was the full width of the room and would be 4-5 metres aide and 3 metres deep.
Song Shan airport is very close and frequently heard and saw big jets landing and taking off.
The bathroom is spacious with a huge wide mirror that must have anti-fog or a heater in it! Lots of vanity space which was welcome as many hotels have a tiny space so I need to put my toilet kit elsewhere!
The toilet seat is heated which I found quite luxurious. But isn’t it odd, we don’t like sitting on a warm seat in the train or bus but enjoy having a warm seat on the loo and having a heated seat in our cars!
Breakfast is good but for some inexplicable reason, there's no bacon? Lots of other healthier options though! 
Something that I’ve never seen before is a small chopper with the fruit bowl which is a great idea because the guava (if it is a guava?) is very hard and difficult to cut with a standard knife! Great idea!
The hotel and grounds are expansive and on a hill so it overlooks the surrounding area. I thought the shops on the ground and first floor were all pretty much the same with Chinese arts and crafts so would have been nice to have a wider variety.
It seems very difficult to walk anywhere from here though? The Chien Tan conference centre was just across the road but to get there, we had to take a taxi that took us at least two kilometres to get back there!
Shi Lin night market is just a short walk down the street but you have to get across the road first and that’s easier said than done!
All in all, if you’ve never stayed here before, splash out and enjoy the experience here! But beware, those tiny rooms may still be lurking somewhere! I haven’t figured out how to ask these staff if they still have those horrid little rooms here yet!
The Grand Hotel really is an icon in Taipei, even more so than that 101 Building in my opinion!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 910 and it's a lovely big spacious room with good views of some river and the airport
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank RayC888
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Not the most luxurious, but The Grand Hotel is a beautiful example of Chinese architecture, has lovely Chinese furnishings and a nice outdoor pool. We enjoyed the dumpling restaurant within the hotel and the kids enjoyed shopping in the souvenir shops.

Room Tip: Be sure to get an outer room with balcony. There are some beautiful and expansive views of Taipei from here.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family