All reviews the hotel staff single staff family room japanese customers christmas period small hotel japanese style hotel clean hotel cigarette smell hotel experience enjoyed my stay choose this hotel would highly recommend this hotel convenient location visit taipei excellent stay special thanks
Reviewed June 19, 2018

Admittedly my first impression of Tokyo International Hotel was underwhelming. It seemed like the hotel is a relic of the 80s - the lobby, while clean, was utterly unremarkable and seemed like it belonged to a different caliber of hotel (ie. not renovated for decades). As for the entrance, I actually initially missed it because I wasn't expecting it to be so...drab? Also, this is a very Japanese-style hotel, which means they are very strict about check-in and check-out times, so do not expect to do early check-ins (I had to wait for 4 hours before I could check in).

The room I was escorted to was initially fine - clean, decent-sized and well-equipped. But a few hours later, a weird cigarette/smoke smell started to seep in through the bathroom. As someone extremely allergic to cigarette smell (it gives me headache), this was a big no-no.

But the staff, who was always efficient and helpful, immediately swapped me to a different room, and the new room was no longer affected by the smell issue. After that, the stay was super fine.

If I had not had that incident with the smell, I would have given the hotel a solid 4-star. As mentioned, the room was quite decent-sized, it had all the amenities, including tea, good wifi, bathtub, etc. Just don't expect to be impressed.

One other note - the availability of only one elevator is also a negative - I had to wait for a long time as the cleaning lady was using it to go floor to floor.

Location-wise, it is not exactly near the subway, but there are lots of local restaurants and landmarks are quite walkable from the hotel.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed February 22, 2018 via mobile

Right from the first moment we experienced a staff willing to go the extra mile. During our stay they helped us get back luggage left at the airport, fix our door, provide us with advice and most importantly return a golden earring that was “lost”. Every time we either arrived or left the hotel we were greeted and given advice as needed.
Our room was clean and well maintained. Things were done with the minimum of fuss and bother.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2018

This hotel is on a busy street. It's easy to find different stores/restaurants nearby. Takes about 15 minutes walking to nearby subway station.

Hotel itself is not that big, room is tiny I'd say. Breakfast does not have many varieties but adequate.

Staff are very polite. There are many Japanese customers, staff manners are more customized to that region. Sometimes I wish they can speak English to me in stead of Japanese.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2017

We are presently still at this hotel and are truly enjoying our stay. We are still waiting for our bags that EVA Air lost and the staff have done everything they could to improve our situation. Every time we come back to the hotel they update us on our bags as well as every morning. Within a few hours they know who you are and do their best to meet every need they can. We were heading out to the night market last night, they warned us of pickpockets and what not to buy. Without us asking for any help one of the staff came out flagged down a taxi, confirmed the fare and even held her hand at the top of the doorway to the taxi so we couldn't bump our heads. Every breakfast time they are so cheerful it's like being at a family home and go out of their way to do anything for you. They truly couldn't do more. This has been an excellent stay. Would absolutely stay here again. Not to mention it is sparkling clean and the breakfast is an excellent buffet.

2  Thank Ruth L
Reviewed December 28, 2017

If you want to stay safe, happy and well taken care of in Taipei, stay in this hotel. Such warm, genuinely helpful staff which makes hotel really worth it. Jasper, Sally, Erick and all those in the 7th floor restaurant are just wonderful. If there is more than just 5 stars, i would truly rate this place an outstanding 10 stars! Rooms are clean. Sheets, pillows are soft. Toiletries ample. Warm water is more than enough. Getting taxi and going around are easy! I would surely come back to Taipei and stay in this hotel again!

Room tip: Every room is wonderful!
  • Trip type: Traveled with family