All reviews every morning raohe night market guests staying shampoo and body wash social atmosphere nintendo wii common room filling breakfast elephant mountain awesome stay bed room mrt station place to stay few minutes walk away enjoyed my stay complimentary breakfast home away from home
Reviewed April 25, 2017

Stayed here over Easter. Great location (Raohe Street night market & MRT station right next door!), very clean, breakfast cooked for you every morning. Well stocked bar is a nice bonus! Fast free wi-fi. Very friendly & helpful staff. A simply great chilled out hostel. Highly recommended.

Date of stay: April 2017
Reviewed April 25, 2017

I spent 3 nights here in April. The location is not too far from the nearest metro station - less than 10 min. It's close to the Raohe night market, which I thought was a good market. There's a local side street market a couple of blocks away that has some really good food. As for the hostel, it was clean. The bed was comfortable. Having the curtain made things more private. The men's bathroom is located in the hall, so you need your key card to get back in. I didn't have the breakfast because It was a little too late for me (8:30). Wi-fi was good throughout the hostel. The common room was comfortable.

Hard to tell who worked there. It also would be hard to find since there's no sign outside the building that the hostel is in. It occupies a floor in a tall building. Look for the hostel NK Hostel sign.

Date of stay: April 2017
Reviewed March 12, 2017

This is definitely one of the most peaceful and clean hostel I´ve been, so don´t worry if you have to study or work during your stay.

Now if your stay is for leisure, the location is perfect. You got everything at a walking distance: Taipei 101, Songshan Cultural and Creative Park, Raohe Street Night Market and Nanjing Sanmin Metro Station.

Satoru and Shelley (the owners) are incredible hosts, that will solve any doubt you got and guide you so you don´t miss anything of this incredible city.

If your not brave enough to try the taiwanese cuisine, you can cook in the fully equipped and spacious kitchen they have, or you can just cross the street to get to the 7-Eleven.

Fast Wi-Fi, breakfast and movie nights are also included in your stay ;)

Pro tip: Ask Satoru for a good dumpling restaurant. You won´t regret it.

Room tip: Don´t worry about which room are you staying. Each bunk has their own folding desk, curtain, lamp and power plug.
Date of stay: March 2017
Reviewed March 1, 2017 via mobile

I had a really stressful flight to Taipei but as soon as I arrived in the Hostel I was relaxed.
The host, Satoru, gave me a short explanation how everything works and after that he joined me for a cigarette on the balcony, we ended up having a long conversation about all sorts of things, space-stuff, China, Japan, more space-stuff, aliens, how the Hostel was created and so on an so forth.

Later we watched the move "Interstellar" in the living room.

The place is really nice and has a really modern look to it, it is clean, the beds are nice and the curtains make sure you have some privacy.

The guest, who I met, were super friendly and with two of them I ended up drinking sake and beer, from the fridge in the hostel, until 5:30 AM.

Overall I had a really good time in the Hostel and I makes me sad that they are already booked out for the time when I'm going to come back to Taipei.

Date of stay: February 2017
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed February 27, 2017

The title says it all. If you're a traveler, Satoru and Shelley at Sleepy Dragon Hostel will take care of you.

Having traveled across Asia for the past year, I've come to realize there are really two important things about a hostel. #1: the hostel must have great people working there and staying there. #2: the hostel must be clean and well located. Sleepy Dragon excels in all of these.

Satoru and Shelley have become my benchmark for hostel owners. The things that set them apart from others are that they actually run the place, clean the place, and help travelers find what they are looking for. I came to Taipei not really knowing what I'd do in Taiwan, just that I wanted to explore. They gave me so much information on what to do that I stayed in Taipei for a lot longer than I thought I would. They went above and beyond to help me with my travel plans in the rest of Taiwan including calling bike shops across Taiwan to find rentals for me. They speak fluent English, Chinese, and Japanese. They make a genuinely healthy breakfast in the morning that is hot, delicious, and nutritious. They have a coffee grinder with excellent beans to make amazing coffee.

Not only do Satoru and Shelley own the hostel, they built the place from the ground up with their hands. Yes, they designed the clever "sleeping pods" to provide a functional, safe space for travelers which include smart features like a fold down table, outlet, individual heating/cooling vents (so you don't smell other people and you can control your temperature), a dedicated shoe locker, a larger locker for your clothes, beds that don't shake around and make noise when someone climbs up to the top bunk, custom designed bed sheets that fit the bed, a mattress that is larger than most hostels, strong wifi signals everywhere, and probably other features that I didn't even notice but they included to provide the best stay from home. The common areas provide ample space for people to get together. They don't, however, have a kitchen for you to cook in, but why would you when you have the Raohe night market a 5 minute walk away? They have an amazing beer selection of craft beers from Japan, trappist beers from Belgium and other beers from around the world. The washrooms are clean with this functional locker inside the shower to keep your clothes in. The location of the hostel is a short walk away from the subway station as well as the bus station enabling easy access to transportation around Taipei.

It has been almost a year since I stayed there, but there is no doubt in my mind that Satoru and Shelley have continued to improve on the place. They work tirelessly to make things better and better. This is not only a review of their work, but also a sincere thank you to the both of them for the time I spent there. If you're looking for a place to stay in Taipei, you would be doing yourself a favour to stay here.

Date of stay: April 2016