Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Great cooking and cultural experience for anyone!

I've taken Ivy's class several times...and every time I learn so much about cooking techniques... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
sliubox
Cooking class

Ivy was amazing! So knowledgeable about everything in the market and she really took the time to... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Jessica M
Taichung, Taiwan

Recommended experiences in and around Shilin
from $15.38
from $120.00
from $100.00
from $34.70
More Info
All reviews market tour taiwanese dishes beef noodle soup great teacher xiao long bao cooking lesson highly recommend this class pineapple cake private class learn how pot stickers eggplant amazing cooking local ingredients learned how interesting person favorite part
Selected filters
Reviewed January 16, 2020

For our first trip to wonderful Taïwan we decided it was time to learn how to cook our favorite dumplings xiǎolóngbāo (小籠包) and guō tiē (鍋貼). The two days we spent with Chef Ivy went far beyond dumplings, as we learned a lot about authentic local foods, fruits, vegetables, ingredients, and traditional Taïwanese cuisine, including street food. We started with the Food Adventure Tour in the afternoon market, starting just outside Taipei Yongchun MRT Station. On the second day we purchased all the ingredients for the selected recipes at Shi Dong food market, the best for high quality fresh food in Taipei, and we were able to cook from the scratch in 3-4 hours the xiǎolóngbāo, guō tiē, and hot and sour soup (酸辣湯) in Ivy’s well organized kitchen.
Not only Ivy is highly knowledgeable about all aspects of Taïwan culture and cuisine (and tea!), but she is also a very competent cook and gifted teacher, always smiling and encouraging during the cooking class. We hope that in the near future Ivy will publish a book on Taïwanese cuisine and food culture!
We would like to thank again Ivy for sharing with us the amazing culture and gastronomy of beautiful Taïwan. We will be back!

Date of experience: January 2020
ivyskitchen, 業者 at Ivy's Kitchen Cooking Class, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2020

Dear ViaggioLento58,

Thank you very much for your fabulous comments.

I think curiosity and open-mind are the best attitudes to discover a new culture, and you have them! I enjoyed your conversation and sharing your traveling tips. If I visit Swissland or Italy, I will definitely love you to be my best guide.

Reviewed January 13, 2020

I had the pleasure and honor to have a private market tour and cooking class with Ivy Chen, Ivy's Kitchen. Forget about "westernized" chinese dishes, learn from Ivy and adapt what you see. When you combine your own skills and ingredients with what you learned from Ivy, it will be a total new experience of those chinese dishes and food, I love so much. Don't forget, ask Ivy tons of questions. Do not miss the unique chance.
Ivy is a lovely person, who teaches with fun and a lot of passion for food and cooking. In case I ever come back to Taiwan, I will have another class at Ivy's kitchen.
A memorable experience. I wish Ivy's books will be, one day, translated into english.
Xie Xie, Ivy.
Best Regards, Robert from Germany

Date of experience: December 2019
ivyskitchen, 業者 at Ivy's Kitchen Cooking Class, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2020

Dear Robert,

Thank you for your great review! It's my pleasure to have you such a great cook in my class. I like your "Forget about westernized chinese dishes". You made the cooking a glamorous and joyful day! Thank you.

Reviewed January 12, 2020

Ivy made this experience a dream. We met at the market and she showed me so many new foods and even told me about special seasonal foods. We shopped at local stalls where I learned the Taiwanese farmers are experimenting to grow a wider variety of crops. After we went back she spent a long time answering my questions about food, meanwhile, sharing a wealth of knowledge about the history of Taiwan. She taught me three new complicated recipes and showed me how to perfect my technique. I truly loved this class. As an experienced cook, it was fun to try something special. Thanks to Ivy and to my wonderful boyfriend for arranging the whole thing.

常春藤使這種經歷成為夢想。 我們在市場上碰面,她向我展示了很多新食品,甚至還告訴我一些特殊的時令食品。 我們在當地的攤位購物,得知台灣農民正在嘗試種更多的農作物。 回去後,她花了很長時間回答我有關食物的問題,同時分享了有關台灣歷史的豐富知識。 她教了我三個新的複雜食譜,並向我展示瞭如何完善我的技術。 我真的很喜歡這堂課。 作為一名經驗豐富的廚師,嘗試一些特別的菜很有趣。 感謝常春藤和我出色的男友安排了整個事情。

Dear Robin,

Thank you for your great comments. You are a great cook! I had a very good time cooking those complicate dishes with you. I appreciate you like our culture and cooking techniques. Hope your boyfriend will enjoy your Taiwanese food.

Reviewed January 10, 2020

Wife and I took Ivy's class and the market tour.
The market tour was deeply insightful. After a few weeks of exploring Taiwan we had many questions about the food we had been seeing around us - and they were all patiently explained by Ivy. Many of the foods we had seen were put into a larger context (some were in celebration of an upcoming holiday, others were seasonal specialties, etc.) and we learned a few broader lessons about Taiwanese culture.
The class was smooth and informative. After shopping the market, Ivy welcomes you in to her beautiful home (also interesting, a tourist walking around town often wonders what a typical home looks like). Ivy preps many of the steps that take all day - so the class really feels like an efficient demonstration (for example, broths for XLB are already prepped, and dough from a previous demo rested and ready for work). This allows her to focus on the trickier techniques involved in the preparation (in our case, rolling fresh skins and crimping the dumplings shut). She makes a very tricky maneuver very easy to understand and execute.
I cannot overstate that she is not just a good cook, but a good teacher. An effective communicator (her English is perfect) and patient instructor.
Thank you Ivy for welcoming us in to your home, and allowing us to bring home some of our favorite flavors from Taiwan.

Date of experience: January 2020
ivyskitchen, 業者 at Ivy's Kitchen Cooking Class, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2020

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your nice feedback! Teaching cooking is not just explaining the steps, it's more about sharing the techniques and tips and also the story behind. I always feel the more I share the more I gain from different people and cultures. Thank you for sharing your story too. Wish Taiwan food will comfort your homesick of Taiwan.

Reviewed January 5, 2020

I attended the lesson with two daughters.

Mrs.Ivy first showed us recipe which is written in Japanese, it was very useful for us!

We had never dreamed of making such delicious xia-long-bao and pineapple cake at my house, we enjoyed very much.

It is also impressive that Mrs.Ivy let me drink Taiwanese traditional drink, Toho Bijincha.

We are looking forward to cooking with Mrs.Ivy when we go to Taiwan. Thank you Mrs.Ivy!

おもてなし精神の素晴らしい先生でした。
可愛らしいお家、最初に美味しい中国茶と伝統的なお菓子を頂きながら説明を受け、お料理に入りました。
英語が得意ではない私達に、日本語を織り交ぜながら丁寧にご説明くださり、よく分かりました。
できたお料理も大変美味しく大満足でした。
また台湾に行く際には必ず伺います!

Date of experience: January 2020
ivyskitchen, 業者 at Ivy's Kitchen Cooking Class, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2020

Dear kkkhhrykr,

Thank you very much for your nice review! It was a surprised class for me too! I am impressed with two of your daughters, they are very good cooks, like mother like daughters! I hope Taiwan brought you the best memories during your short visit and your husband's stay.