Grand Hi-Lai Hotel Kaohsiung
Sungtai Hotel(Qianjin)
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
View Hotel
All reviewsdepartment storeshopping mallfood courtgreat hotelhello kittyharbour viewlobster bartop floorharbour restaurantsame buildingasian hotelsclassic hotelbit datedtaiwanese restaurantbusiness or pleasurecorner roomrooms are spacious
Reviewed April 10, 2013

The hotel is located in the big department store where you can find high end luxurious brands such as Chanel, Hermes, Dior, Cartier. In the basement, you can find supermarkets and lots of small restaurants to eat.

The hotel itself is impeccable. Although it's one of the old hotels in kaohsiung, the facilities and the rooms are very well kept. Most of the rooms have a fantastic view overlooking Kaohsiung city. Some of them have harbor view which is quite amazing. The bed is comfortable, either too soft or too hard.

What impresses me the most is the great service here. Everyone is very polite and professional. They try their best to make your stay comfortable. No matter where you are, the restaurant, the lobby, the bar, the business center, the swimming pool, everyone is very friendly. During our trip, my friend injured his ankle and had to stay in kaohsiung for 4 more days. The hotel staff was very friendly. They used their car, sent their staff to accompany us to the hospital, lent us the wheel chair to use and brought ice tubes many times. From time to time, they even showed their concern by asking whether my friend's situation had improved or not.

There are several restaurants at the hotel, restaurant for shanghai steamed dumplings, one for cantonese dishes, one for seafood hotpot, one steak house, one for buffet, one for taiwanese food, one for japanese cuisine, and also a bar on the 45th floor with beautiful view. We tried the shanghai dumplings and the cantonese restaurant, they are very good and reasonably priced. The breakfast is good too, lots of variety.

If I have to point out some negative aspects of this hotel, there are two:
1. when we are here, it's high season (tomb sweeping festival). Lots of people at the hotel. Good for the hotel, but sometimes it's get a bit too crowded, such as taking the elevator and we even had to wait for our table one day for breakfast.
2. as a hotel guest, you can only use the swimming pool and the fitness for free. If you want to use the sauna, you have to pay extra. That's the first time that I have encountered such rule.

All in all, I'd recommend this hotel to everybody and will definitely come back again in the future.

Room Tip: try to ask for a room with harbor view. it's stunning!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chizheng
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Recently stayed here and got a HELLO KITTY room! I still can get over the excitement that I had to travel all the way to Kaoshiung, the southern part of Taiwan just to fulfill a wish! I've been planning for this trip for 2 years and now I've done it!
I can't believe how PINK the room is...Im not really a fan of the color PINK, it's just that I loooooove Hello Kitty!
The room is BIG! with lots of amenities...and FREEBIES too. Aside from the usual coffee, tea, water and fruits... they gave us sweet tea as welcome drinks, aromatic oil for the room.
I was impressed with all the Hello Kitty stuff they placed on the room even the dining utensils they used for our Hello Kitty breakfast :D With the Hello Kitty package, I got to ride the Hello Kitty car and the driver brought us to the Dream Mall for my free ferris wheel ride, got complimentary bike rides for 2, a gift certificate for the Hello Kitty gift shop, and very cute Hello Kitty plush doll exclusively made for the hotel.
Grand Hi-Lai hotel in Kaoshiung is the best 5-star hotel. They have a big mall located several floors down the the hotel itself. Includes famous brands, a supermarket, chic cafes and dining places and a food court too! The hotel has a pool, gym, function room, nice classy rooms, cars for rent and the staff are courteous, helpful and always smiling :) I would definitely book in this hotel again next time!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

The room is very clean and spacious. The staff are friendly. I think having a great department store downstair is great selling point of it as you can get what you want very easily. Tried the food of the hotel, the quality is very very good compared to its price. Strongly recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Firstly if you arrive in a large tourist bus you have to leave bus on level 1 (ground) then take elevator up level 2 to check in. Staff were very helpful. We found just as easy to walk up ramp (where taxis & cars go to check in) Another 5 star hotel, rooms again where as expected, Room 2708, well appointed & clean. Hotel is of top of large department (well worth a look). Located in centre. Plenty of places to go & eat. As with Taiwan, walking around safe. Breakfast was of the standard & variety expected. My only comment to the hotel is please watch appropriate placing of your national flag

Room Tip: Unless you speak Chinese make sure you take a business card from hotel with address in Chinese. For if you walk too far or get lost, it makes getting back to the hotel interesting to say the least
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Though the hotel was there for a big while, they still keep up their good service, their well maintained rooms..breakfast was always fabulous, the location are one of the best right in the city center and above the department store...I got the free wifi in room from this stay and also find out the slow connection in the lobby area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family