Palais de Chine Hotel
  • Room Service
Master Hotel(Datong)
Fly Inn(Datong)
1,926 results
All reviewsexecutive floorshopping malltrain stationlighting systemround bathtubvip loungedim lightingsuperior roomconcierge deskchinese restaurantbreakfast buffet islight switchesopen conceptexcellent locationglass doorluxury hotelpublic areas
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Technically, I have nothing bad to say about the hotel. The room we took on the executive floor was very spacious and well-equipped. So beautiful and comfortable. The bathroom had a very deep bath-tub. Excellent for a stress-relieving soak. The best thing about this hotel is the service level. The staff all speak good English, very enthusiastic and thorough. Call for extra towels and the staff's at your doorstep in less than 5 minutes. Ask for help with luggage and the bellboy's here in less than 10min. Everything just worked so well.

I would only like to suggest that they might want to improve the breakfast being offered at the executive lounge. Only basic breakfast like toast and cereals. I've stayed in hotels where the executive floor lounges offer at least hot egg dishes for breakfast.

The location of the hotel is really good as it's connected via a shopping mall to the Taipei Train Station and MRT. If you're planning onward journeys to other parts of Taipei by train, this hotel's location would be absolutely perfect.

I rated this hotel `Very Good' although I think in terms of service and facilities, it really should be an `Excellent'. Reason is because the decor completely spooked me. The theme is pretty Gothic? Very dim lighting, stone walls at the recep, statues and dark paintings in corners.... at times, it just feels like a haunted castle from the movies. I spent a lot of time figuring out the lighting system in the room but even at its brightest, it was still very dim and unsettling. Of course, some people might find it really nice. It's definitely beautiful. But if I were travelling alone, I definitely would not pick this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank SINGTRAVELLER_9
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Booked this hotel very last minute as we had to cut short our stay in Hualien due to bad weather and needed one night's accommodation in Taipei.

I did read the tripadvisor reviews before booking this hotel, so I was aware of the decor and though it would be an interesting experience. When we finally got there, my parents and I found it quite unsettling. The entire hotel is dimly lit from the lobby, restaurants, hallways, and even the gym. There are statues on each floor, and the whole place just felt uncomfortable.

Pros:
- Very convenient location with the MRT station, HSR, railway station, and bus station nearby. Must say, finding the hotel the first time via public transport is quite difficult as the directions on the website aren't very clear. The closest MRT exit is "Y5". The website just says "5", but there are multiple exit "5"s.
- Gym is small but has new equipment
- Unique bathroom design: a lot of reviewers mention the bathroom design but honestly it isn't that bad. Our room had a round bathub, a separate shower, and a separate toilet. The curtain can be pulled to cover all three so you do have privacy.
- Next door is the Q Square shopping mall, which has a food court downstars (B3), restaurants on the ground level and top level (level 7 I think?) - really recommend the buffet there on the top level. Great range of seafood, sashimi, Chinese, Japanese, and Western cuisine. More variety than the hotel's buffet and cheaper too. I found this online review: http://dreintaiwan.blogspot.com/2011/10/eat-together-all-you-can-eat-buffet.html

Cons:
- decor was not to my taste but I understand it appeals to others
- check-in was slow: it was a late booking and the booking company didn't communicate the room request to the hotel properly and didn't mention we required an extra bed. Not the hotel's fault, but we had to wait 25 minutes for them to put in the extra bed, and were just told to sit in the lobby and wait. We were tired from our train journey from Hualien and just wanted our room so we could take a rest. I think service could have been better.
- we noticed our room door didn't fully close once - not sure if it was because of the bathroom curtain getting in the way, but we basically had the door ajar for a few hours until we went to put the door latch on before we turned in for the night. Seems quite unsafe.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank raindropsonroses
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Location of this hotel is good because it is adjacent to Taipei HST & MTR station. I accepted the feel of Chateau style stone wall and dim lighting at the reception lobby. Check in was reasonably smooth.

As I entered the room, I was taken aback by a big round bathtub with higher than normal apron right next to the front door. OMG, this is a total OPEN concept room . No separation between bathtub, toilet and the bed ! The round bathtub and the toilet bowl is separated by a draw out curtain ! Between the bowl and the bed is separated by a shallow wash basin on top of a sharp edge stone vanity top which is not safe for small children.

I have to figure out for a long time how to use the hand shower and to my great
disappointment, the water pressure is very low. ( no shower stall in my room )

There is a balcony but the door can not be opened and the room is just a few feet away from the neighboring apartment kitchens.

The lighting in the room is insufficient . The vanity top has a light sensor , due to the senor sensibility , ceiling light goes on and off all night if there is any movement.

There is a big selection of breakfast buffet but the quality is average . Ideal for people who go for quantity not quality.

No complimentary of Wi-Fi in room or in the lobby except the restaurant.

This hotel is definitely not for business travelers and family with young children , perhaps it is for people who want to live like The Adam Family or for Halloween Party.

There are plenty better hotels in Taipei. Palais de Chine rooms are very small. I will definitely not return to this non-sense and user unfriendly hotel !
S

Room Tip: Find another hotel such as San Want Residences.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
10  Thank LKCLam
Reviewed November 14, 2011

This is our second time to stay at this hotel, it is in a very good location, just next to train and bus station in a shopping complex. Lot of shops and restaurants around. we also enjoyed the delicious Pepper Bread (胡椒餅) which we can buy from the shop just across the road.
Breakfast is fantastic with lot of choices, staff are very helpful and well trained.
The hotel is modern designed, the only negative side is the hotel looks very dark everywhere including the lobby, cafe shop, and guest rooms. If they will make the guest rooms more brighter, it would be excellent.
We will definately stay there again when we visit Taipei next time.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gkplai
Reviewed November 9, 2011

We had 2 rooms for 3 nights in August 2011. They were great, we will definitely stay here again and recommend to everyone.

The breakfast buffet is superb. You must allocate extra time for it. For all the hotels we ever stay around the world, this is the best due to its selections (Chinese/Japanese/Western), presentation, freshness and taste.

The location is right at the central transportation hub in Taipei. The MRT station is an in-door walk less than 10 minutes away. The first time around, you may need to ask direction or pay attention to the sign (in both Chinese and English). You need to walk through many stores and go down 2 stairs in the shopping center next door.

The lobby is on the 6th floor with porter desk on the 1st floor. The staff is very helpful, friendly and with smile. The check-in was a little slow since they had my name wrong from the travel agent.

For the 2 rooms that we stayed, one offered a bathtub only with shower, one offered bathtub with separate shower cabin. The bathtub only arrangement is hard to get in and get out since the tub wall is quite high. The room facing the train station can be a little noisy with busy street underneath but offer good view especially nighttime.

The all-in-one room control system is convenient but the control is not as intuitive as I would like. The light comes on automatically at night when you get up but dim automatically after a short time. I can’t find anything to extend the time or disable it.

This hotel is not associated with any major international hotel chain, but you should definitely consider your stay here. You won’t be disappointed.

Room Tip: away from the busy street for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family