Review Highlights
Interesting Local Experience

I didn’t expect much after reading all the reviews here, but after my sister insisted, we went for... read more

Reviewed December 17, 2017
pehwinnie
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
via mobile
Public

Public soaking onsen so temper your expectations. If you want to join richard gere at villa 32... read more

Reviewed December 2, 2017
bcheong
Taipei, Taiwan
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Beitou
from $52.00
from $114.00
from $114.25
More Info
All reviews public swimming pool hot pools nt lockers coins suit baths
Selected filters
Reviewed August 9, 2017 via mobile

I really enjoyed visiting the hot springs but yoi really nees to know the rules first.

The first thibg to do is find a time alot to suit you. They have to close the spring at certain times in the day to clean it and they wont remind you of this when you biy a ticket. We atayed for an hour and that was plenty.

Next lwarn the rules. Hair must be tied up, no mens swimshorts only the tighter ones without pockets, no pictures, always shower before, wash your feet before every dip and most importantly no toe dippers. If you are getting in the hottest spring you need to commit to it fully and get it - this really bothers the locals there and therw are signs all over the place about it.

Realistically the hottest pool is too hot for most people so just stick to the two cooler ones and the cold pools.

We went on a weekday and it was busy but not too busy.

Date of experience: August 2017
1  Thank Gemmaluckett
Reviewed July 24, 2017

Make sure to call ahead. Traversed more than half the city and arrived to find the hot springs were closed July 17 and July 18 :(((. Missed one of the promised highlights of Taipei. I would recommend having your hotel or hostel front desk to call ahead and confirm whether or not the site is open.

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed May 3, 2017

I used to come here a lot - in fact, I used to live just 10 minutes walk away. It always was a friendly place with local Taiwanese willing to chat. I recommended it a lot. Yes, it was not the cleanest place, but it was a slice of real Taipei, and you had to take it as such. if you want sparkling clean hot springs, go to a hotel. And as for being an object of curiosity, I used to watch Western tourists too as they unknowingly drew attention to themselves.
But since the contract was re-let, it's awful. The local customers are still fine. It's the woman on the door who is the problem, especially her virulent anti-foreigner attitude. Be prepared for her to demand aggressively to see your swimwear, and then for her to demand you buy something new if she deems it not acceptable. Watch her - does she ever ask a Taiwanese the same questions or show the same attitude? No she does not.
Sadly, now one to avoid.

2  Thank xydancer
Reviewed April 13, 2017

Although small and dirty, Millenium Hot Springs does have its own charm. The charm is that you are able to experience Taiwan's hot spring culture to its grassy roots. There are four different pools here varying in different temperatures. As soon you get your whole body into the hot springs, you can feel that the water has cleansed more than a thousand men and the grime on the floor was once the oil of a thousand faces. Locals talking loudly and women staring at foreigners will become a very familiar sight here. Combined with mosquitos and showers that you have to pay for, Millenium Hot Spring is truly a recipe for disaster that travels to not want to dabble in. Take your money and go elsewhere. I would have gladly paid ten or even 20 times the entrance fee to go somewhere with a better environment. Not to mention that most of your swim wear will not be sanctioned so you'll have to end up buying a very tight and revealing one at the entrance... Turn around and never look back. This place will give me PTSD until the end of time.

1  Thank 2pmteatime
Reviewed April 5, 2017 via mobile

I've been here a few times before. In the past we've walked in an, apart from being stared at walking into the place, and a few shouts by the lady at the door, we've had an ok time.

The last time, despite no English translations at the door, and the 'new policy on swim wear', I was really looking forward to speaking to explorers and fellow travelers wallowing in the water. This time however, I was met with anger upon walking into the place. I am a foreigner and so have made an effort to learn a little of the language. This time, the more Chinese I used, politely asking if I could come into the place, the more unreasonable the reply. Other people had walked in and were met with a pleasant, 'later', however I was met with anger and aggression. Upon finally entering, walking into the water, I was met by stares from other patrons. It appears asking, politely if I could come in was unacceptable, and questioning why I had to buy the new shorts from them, even though I was wearing the same shorts I had bought last time over 3 years ago, was again the wrong thing to ask.

It cost me well over 400 nt to sit in a pool stared at by others, all due to the fact I had apparently offended the women by asking if I could use their beautiful (I was being nice as the water is really really dirty) public bath.

'Shake me as I am apparently just a money Pinnata' is all that comes to mind about this place. I will never go again, and I will encourage others to avoid it like the plague.

On a positive, I did meet a pleasant Taiwanese woman outside who tried to right the wrongs of the staff.

1  Thank Seb L