“Good for surfers”
Review of The Gong

The Gong
Ranked #11 of 42 Pecatu B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The hotel had charm, it was like living within a temple, nice and relaxed, no noise or mad partying. Me and my gf stayed in room 105 which was a detached villa and very spacious, but one night it howled with wind and rain and things were banging and bumping. A roof panel was being blown about and was knocking on a rafter beam which woke us up, i had to use electrical tape to secure it in place at 3am. Also the windows didnt close properly and were bumping against their frames, i used some boardshorts to wedge them shut. Being a glass half full kinda guy i thought this was funny and added character but to others this wouldve been horrible, especially a family. Their was also no hotwater to shower with whilst i was here. The Gong is a good location for surfers, not so much if youre a beginner surfer, infact the beachs here can be extremely dangerous if you dont know what youre doing so bare that in mind. I saw on several occasions guys snap their board leash and get washed around at Uluwatu, these guys were professionals too, a beginner wouldve been screwed.

Stay here if you like to surf and like peace and quiet.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at The Gong from 23rd to 28th March 2013. The place is in a fantastic location for surfers, Uluwatu is 2km away and easily walkable. Not to forget Pandang Padang beach, Balangan beach, Dreamland, Impossibles and Uluwatu Temple are easily reachable by scooter which you can rent from The Gong. The place is well kept, the pool is beautiful and inviting, rooms are cleaned on a daily basis and comes only with a fan but this was sufficient for us. The room and bathroom are basic, roomy and comfortable enough. There was a small cupboard, dressing table, chair and big double bed with a mosquito net. We already knew prior to booking that there is no hot water, but its like that at most budget places in Bali. The Balinese family running the place are chilled out and really friendly. We often had a good laugh with them as did most of the other guests that were there. They were also helpful with any information on the area and how to get places too. The food is priced reasonably and is fantastic. There was an annual festival while we were there and the guests received free fruit. There is a laundry service called Surf Laundry 2km from The Gong too - best laundry service we have ever received during our travels and again well priced too. We have booked to stay back at The Gong for the last 4 days of our trip in Bali and would like to think if we came back this would be our first choice to stay again. I would highly recommend staying here.

Note - if you want a room to relax in, book at a 5 star resort. There is so much to see and do outdoors why would you want to be holed up in a room all day?

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wereonthewaythere
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I have been meaning to write reviews on TripAdvisor for the past year and this is the first one I'm doing since I loved The Gong so much. We randomly stumbled upon The Gong (although it was in my Lonely Planet book, I just hadn't read the Uluwatu section yet) and planned on staying one to two nights. We stayed 10 days. Enough said. The location is great (we had a motorbike and usually took it to the beach but you can walk too and the temple is close by), the price is very reasonable, Kadek is so sweet and helpful, the food is yummy and well-priced and it's a very safe place. There wasn't AC but we used the fan and were comfortable. Absolutely recommend staying here! I hope to be back one day.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tara K
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I'm sure if you're coming to Uluwatu to surf and are looking for a smokin' good deal then the Gong is for you. This isn't the kind of room you want to kick back and relax in. It's pretty bare bones. The light didn't work in our bathroom (flickered like a strobe light) so I'm thankful I packed a headlamp. The fan in the room also didn't work so it was a hot sleep. If you're concerned about Mosquitos or other bugs you should pack your own mosquito net and set it up under the top bunk like we did. Our sheets had a mystery stain on them as well and it looked still juicy.

If you're coming to the area to check out the temple then it's worth a one nights stay but otherwise I'd look elsewhere. We were supposed to stay two nights but checked out after one.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Spent a whole month at "The Gong" in Nov 2012. Heading back in February to stay for 2 more months.Get off your plane grab a taxi should cost no more than 200,000 rp to get to Uluwatu. Rent your scooters at the Gong and drive less than 2 minuets to Uluwatu Beach or Uluwatu Temple in under 5 mins. Padang Padang Beach is about 10 minutes away and has a beach party every Saturday night. Plan to stay awhile and dance on the beach all night. The Single Fin is just down the rode and is the perfect place to watch a sunset and have a drink. It get crazy in there on Sundays.

The Gong is a small family owned property that makes you feel like your part of theirs. Unplug your laptop grab a beer and jump in the pool. Make it a point to introduce yourself to people just arriving. Met some incredible new friends over the month I was there and can't wait to get back for more satay, bintang, rooster's, and good people. Kadek has a beautiful family and will do whatever possible to make you feel at home.

Thanks Kadek, will see you in Feb.

Room Tip: Some rooms are better than others. We stayed in a few different ones and got move up top in the newe...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank mjwisdom72
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Loved staying at The Gong. Very nice pool, rooms are clean, food is cheap and tasty (especially the milkshakes, iced tea, and lemongrass nasi goreng), and the staff, especially Kadek, were so friendly and honest. We stayed twice during our month in Bali, and if we make it back again, we will be sure to stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank LaurenC108
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I arrived at the Gong quite randomly. I landed in Bali after a 24 hour haul from Vancouver. I was weary, sweaty, and badly in need of rest. After touring about in Ulu Watu looking for a nice place I found The Gong and my decision was made. A nice pool, good restaurant, strong WIFI connex and a lovely courtyard. This place is wonderful, not just because its gorgeous, and well kept, but the family that runs it are so amazing. The main proprietor or manager was Hade, and she was so sweet and welcoming. She was graceful, charming and so hospitable (not to mention beautiful). I was only meant to stay a couple days but ended up staying a week. This to me is the true mark of a great place, somewhere that makes you want to stay. The room was simple but clean and I wanted for nothing. The pool was great for cooling off and just hanging out with the other guests. I made some great friends there and enjoyed every moment. I want to thank Hade and her family for making me feel so at home and welcoming me so warmly to Bali.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo