“Good Idea....”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pecatu
Rapture Surfcamp Bali
Ranked #1 of 61 Specialty Lodging in Pecatu
London, United Kingdom
“Good Idea....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Spent a week at the camp and enjoyed it for the most part. The room was fine, the garden and pool are great and plenty of space to mong out, play pool or give up trying to watch a movie after the 17th disc doesn't work. The surf guiding was really helpful for someone with no knowledge of the local breaks/swell/tide/wind requirements and Dale (who I believe has since left) was great for maximising surfs for the intermediate group. I spent a bit of time surfing with the beginners and noticed the lessons weren't probably the greatest going around and the only benefit providing some young locals with employment (although I'm not convinced they'd see a huge cut of what was been charged), probably better off with some youtube videos and board rental (also going to guess that instructors don't have the greatest surf rescue training, especially compared to Australian standards).
Even with the 35-40% wet season discount, it was hard to identify value for money, compare to what could be achieved travelling independently but as I said before, a good introduction to surfing the Bukit penisular if your unfamiliar with surfing and the area. It can be a bit isolated at times so be prepared to hire scooters/taxis to escape the camp.
Sometimes I felt the owner wished he could be wearing a crown just to make sure everyone knew he was running the place, a few of the guests complained he failed to acknowledge their existence even once during their stay, this could be seen as a benefit but either way it seems clear he is most interested in turning a profit from his "clients". (He also likes to make stories up in response to negative reviews I'm told so take everything you read with a pinch of salt). Other staff were fine, Big Roger seems to be following the Josh customer service model and I was a bit disappointed to be told when a group of us asked to return to the camp with one of the cars that we couldn't because he personally wanted to keep surfing.
In saying all this, over all it was a positive experience, I wouldn't do it again but a good alternative to doing your research and travelling independently.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank stbay17
Rapturesurfcampbali, Owner at Rapture Surfcamp Bali, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Ok i dont really understand this review but lets have a response any way. You say that you dont know how to identify the value for money yet you say that (The room was fine, the garden and pool are great and plenty of space to mong out, play pool or give up trying to watch a movie after the 17th disc doesn't work.) All the disc's are bought local and not original this is all you can buy here they dont last long but they cost nothing sorry about that but this is a 3rd world country. DALE still works here so he hasnt left he is happy working here. Lessons if you dont get lessons dont comment on them all of my instructors are qualified ASI Australian surfing institute and monot has 7 years as a teacher dicky 4 years and dika 1 year. I get nothing but compliments on there work and yes they get paid very well all of them have first aid and bronze. I dont know how you can comment on something that you never did. Isolated the camp we are 25mins from kuta in no traffic and 1min from padang beach like all camps in Bali we are not on the beach it isnt possible. So im wearing a crown its not easy to talk with everyone when you have over 20 people each week you should try it sometimes i accept that but im not rude thats forsure. Roger is our driver and we are trying to help him with customer service yes he's not perfect but he's trying to become better as its his second language being from Norweign. Groups can leave the beach but must be a full car other wise we leave people behind. Next time use your name to review us, you still gave us min 3 or 4 stars so we are more than 60% ok not everyone is perfect. We arent for everyone but we try to please all even with discounts way cheaper than other camps some people you just cant please.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Turkish first
Cologne, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I did a trip to Bali, starting my vacation with a week of surfing at the Bukit Peninsula. Staying at the Rapture Camp was ok - but that's it.
The camp itself is a 5 min drive by car from Padang Padang or Bingin away, which is not a problem, since you can rent motorbikes or you can even walk to both of the beaches (25 min). The site is taken care of by security, the accommodation is cleaned every day and even the public washrooms are clean. The camp offers a wide range of boards - from foam boards to short boards. Breakfast is served from 7.30-10am - dinner usually is at (or better around 7pm). You can have lunch at the bar, but the prices are higher compared to the rest of Bali. There is a BBQ instead of the regular dinner at sundays, which has to be paid extra (80.000 IDR).
There are two groups going out for surfing - one is the beginners/advanced beginners group, and one is the advanced/intermediate group. The first group usually is the biggest group, going to Padang Padang (right) or Nusa Dua (Niko's/Mushroom) to surf. The second group travels around to several, more demanding spots. Since I didn't surf for some years I went with the beginners/advanced beginners group.
You can book additional things to your stay - I booked to be picked up, upon my arrival. Unfortunately, the driver didn't show up within one hour after my arrival, so that I had to get a taxi to the camp. I stayed in a Double Twin Room with AC.

Pro:
- Most times, the guides really know best, when to go to what spot and to be in the water at what time.
- The Camp is clean, the garden is well maintained, the pool is nice and the surroundings of the pool are well furnished. There are some nice places to relax.
- The quality of the food is good - especially the Chicken Sandwiches you can get for lunch.
- You can buy your water at the bar - everything you buy at the bar will be paid at the end of your stay - so you don't have to worry about carrying money with you all the time.
- Very international - many people from all over the world staying at the camp.
- It's basically a surf camp and not a drinking camp (which I was worried about) - but you can have some fun as well, when going out with the right guys.
- The VW's.

Contra:
- Prices are to high for the twin ac room, compared to the rest of Bali.
- You had to order your breakfast (jaffle, omelette, pancake, fruit) by writing your order on a piece of paper at the bar, and everything was prepared individually - which is good. But when we were told (the night before) to leave for the beach at 9am, everyone wants and should have had breakfast by then. Unfortunately, the kitchen staff wasn't able to prepare breakfast for most guests in time, so that some of them went surfing without having breakfast. Depending on when you ordered your breakfast, it sometimes took 45-60 minutes to get your breakfast.
- The servings at dinner were a bit small - although the quality was good.
- I was glad that I didn't need to have surfing lessons, since I saw the quality of some of these and heard other guests complaining about it. Some guests booked surf lessons, but didn't have some. Most guests who booked lessons were taught how to paddle out and eventually how to stand up. In the water, the guides pushed some of the guests so that they were able to catch a wave - but that's it. When I was talking to other guests they said, that they wished to have some more and detailed guiding. Moreover, I had a feeling that one of the guides sometimes made subtle fun about the guests while being in the water.

Neutral:
- Since I was travelling alone, I had to stay with one other guest in a room, which wasn't a problem - but since there were other bookings, I had to change rooms on my second day.
- The guests at the camp are fine, and seem to have the same background. But be aware that friends of the surf guides and staff often come around who really appear to fulfill the cliche of the typical surfer who moved to Bali.
- They turn of the water pressure at night - no problem, if you prepare yourself (or if you know, where to turn it on again).

In conclusion, staying at the Rapture Camp was ok, and having the transportation to and from the different surf spots is nice - but be aware that you will most likely only see Padang Padang and maybe Nusa Dua. The camp is nice, the guides are somewhat ok and the accommodation is ok (twin double room ac) - but I am sure that you can organize a much better week by yourself staying at some small guesthouse, renting a board and motorbike there and traveling around the Bukit Peninsula by yourself. Overall (including the value you get for your money): It's been ok.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, try to get a villa at the camp - they seem to be very nice!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank Christian Z
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have just returned from my trip to rapture surf camp, Bali and I am already looking at dates for my return trip. Rapture is amazing, the camp surroundings are beautiful with a fab pool and gorgeous gardens. The people there are so friendly and cool and everyone is willing to help. You get an amazing breakfast in the morning which sets you up for the day of surfing ahead. We had two instructors who worked with the beginner group and they were so patient and helpful. They were great fun and always ensured that everyone enjoyed themselves in the water! They were always there to help you choose the right waves and gave great feedback on how to improve!! I was there for a week and got to surf in so many different places which made my trip even better. I met so many great people who were so friendly and we always had good fun over dinner. Sonny who cooks dinner, is so nice and she is willing to accommodate all of your requests. I def recommend the strawberry smoothies! AMAZING! I was lucky enough to stay in the surf shack which is out of this world- I highly recommend it.

Overall, this place ticks all the boxes- an amazing place which needs to be experienced! Visit this place- you def won't regret it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Laura B
Deutschland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Hey guys, i´m from Germany and befor my "Bali-Surf-Holiday" I was only once surfing in France. If somebody would ask me how my time in the Rapture Camp Bali was like, i can only say i really enjoyed it. I did not booked a room in the camp via internet, i just ask some people on the island which camp would be a good one. Somebody told me i should check out the Rapture Camp in the South of Bali (near Padang Padang). After I arrived there i meet the staff, who talked to me like i knew them for years. Really nice! The surfing guides take you to the best surf spots on the whole Island and most spots are uncrowded, what is perfect! I started with the Beginners and after a week i tried it with the Intermediates and had one of the best times in my life. If we talk about the price/performance ratio you can be certain that it´s absolutely ok. You get a breakfast and a dinner, you got a pool, a transport to the surf spots, the opportunity to watch DVD´s or just read one of the books there. Also you meet people from all over the world, which i enjoyed.

In conclusion I really have to advise the Rapture Camp!!!!!

Can´t understand the negative reviews!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Philipp D
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed at Rapture for 3 weeks. The amenities were incredible, location amazing and the staff were great. I am an experienced surfer that was traveling to Bali alone. Rapture was a great jumping off point because it coupled me with some advanced surfers and local guides who knew were all the secret breaks are. Josh and his wife Maggie run the camp, they are great people and we have all remained friends after the stay.

On another note, the food is great, they serve breakfast and dinner included with your stay. There is internet there, laundry services close by and the locals working at the camp can outfit you with a scooter for around 5 bucks a day U.S. to get around.

I fell in love with Bali, and because I was staying at Rapture it added to my experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Aefwolf
Groningen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

In the summer I was in rapture camps Portugal(also great!) and that’s where I got the idea of going to Rapture Bali. I stayed at Rapturecamps in Bali for 3 weeks, and it was heaven! I intended to stay for 10 days but the place just keeps drawing you back.

After a warm welcome you’ll get amazed by a stunning garden, traditional bungalows and very colorful surroundings that will make you smile. The place feels like home right away, because of it’s relaxt atmosphere, nice people and lounging areas. The pool is in the center of the garden and very inviting. The private bungalows are well decorated and have a luxury feeling and outdoor bathrooms.

I’ve met some great people here, surfed at the best places, had so much fun and enjoyed the relaxing lifestyle which makes you forget about everything!

Every day we went surfing at the best spots on the Bukit, carefully selected by the guides. At night we’d often went to Uluwatu or Bingin for a beautiful sunset and a Bintang, all only a scooter ride away. Breakfast and dinner is included. Especially the breakfast was great….don’t forget the banana pancakes, legendary and a very good starter for a day of surf.

I’ll definately be back here if I’ll visit Bali again! Thanks guys!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lotte n
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

By far the best surf camp I've stayed at in Bali. As a solo traveller for that part of my trip, this place offered a great setup with all guests sitting together for breakfasts and dinners so you get plenty of opportunities to meet other travellers ... there's also heaps of space in the camp if you wanted some timeout. I surfed with the intermediates and most sessions we'd have a break to ourselves or with just a couple of others. The only downer was not being able to extend my stay - its a popular place - so book early.

Room Tip: If you have the budget - go with the Surf Villa
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank rhydiant
Rapturesurfcampbali, Manager at Rapture Surfcamp Bali, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you for staying with us we hope to see you again in the future
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pecatu
Suarga Padang Padang
Melali Bingin
Melali Bingin
#2 of 61 in Pecatu
Anantara Uluwatu Bali Resort

Been to Rapture Surfcamp Bali? Share your experiences!