“The best holiday!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pecatu
Rapture Surfcamp Bali
Ranked #1 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Pecatu
Perth, Australia
“The best holiday!”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

My boyfriend and I have stayed at rapture surf camp twice this year, once in Febuary and once in June and we had the best time of our lives! The surfing was amazing, we were taken to picture perfect beaches every day and often to spots that we had all to ourselves, which was a real treat after being used to surfing crowded beachies back in oz. The food was always a delight, the cook Sunny really knowns what shes is doing. The owners of the camp are lovely people who always greet you with a smile and a great surfing story. We left the camp in Febuary and immediately booked our return for June, Rapture is simply the best place to stay if you want to surf, meet amazing people and relax. On our return in June we were also kindly upgraded to the new private surf shed, it was also our anniversary at the time so it made our stay even more special. I highly recommend staying in the surf shed, especially for couples.

Overall amazing place, amazing people and amazing waves. Even if you haven't surfed before and you want to learn, its great for beginners too, we met people that had never stood on a surfboard that by the end of the week were out the back with us surfing head high waves over reef! We will definitely be returning early next year over our next university break!

Room Tip: Private surf shed a must for couples, it is paradise! bungalow also nice for a more affordable optio...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elise R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed July 26, 2012

After booking online for one week at rapturecamps I ended up staying there for 3 weeks life was BLISS. The sourounding beaches minutes away from camp are amazing for all levels of surfing from beginners to intermediate and pro. The surf guides/instructors are all legends easy to get along with and have total local knowladge of all the best surf spots, where the best place to surf is to suit your level of surfing. The actual camp felt like a second home to me just hanging out with a big mix of cool people from all over the world chilling out in the pool practicing duck diving after a few bintangs was always a laugh. After a 530am session in the water with the intermediate guide Coner (legend) its back to camp for your choice of breakfest and coffee it was to easy. Sunny the cook always out did her self with beautiful dinners, healthy and more then enough to go around, as I’m a big eater. Josh and Maggie the owners of the camp made it easy for everyone to get around when you felt like an off day from the surf, organizing taxies or hiring out one of the scooters on a day trip which I think apart from the polisi is a must do. The camp is the sort of place once you get there you wont want to leave its all about taking it easy, surfing and just meeting people that are there to do the same thing as you SURF. Already booking my next trip there. Cheers Rapture

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank angus d
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2012

The camp is great fun. The mix of nationalities staying at the camp along with the fun nature of all the staff meant I had an absolute blast for the 8 weeks I stayed. I originally booked 2 weeks and ended up spending my whole time in Bali at the camp. Lots of the other guests used Rapture as a base to explore other parts of Bali, taking day trips or a few days to visit Ubud and the Gilli's etc. The owner Josh was always able to arrange travel or recommend places for people to visit and was always helpful, as long as you put up with his Australian "humor"!

I arrived as a beginner surfer, just about able to catch small green waves and after 8 weeks was surfing with the intermediates at places like Uluwatu and Airports. The first few weeks were under Conor and Josh's guiding as Josh had been unexpectedly let down by his previous guides of 5 years. We went to many different spots, both reef and beach break and teh guides worked hard to make sure we went to the right places for the conditions. Josh was always happy to give advice on technique and on the area we were surfing even though I hadn't paid for a lesson every day. I took a lesson about once a week and found it improved my surfing very rapidly. Both Josh, Connor and the 2 new instructors Budi and Monot were excellent, showing me where I was going wrong, and taking me to specific breaks to improve different aspects of my surfing. Josh took the time to help me purchase a surfboard locally to suit my ability. It was great fun travelling to surf spots in one of the 2 classic VW camper vans.

The camp was well sited, quiet and peaceful. I rented a moped from one of the staff members to get around on, it was easy to go for lunch at Uluwatu a few minutes ride away or see what the swell was doing at Padang Padang just down the road. There was some building work going on while I was there, but it wasn't early in the morning or in the evenings and was well away from the socializing area's. The food was excellent, a mix of local and western. Breakfast was provided 7 days a week, with an evening meal in the evening during the week and a BBQ on Sundays. The camp went out for a meal on Saturday nights to different restaurants which brought the camp together really well.

If you want to surf and relax with a bunch of like minded people then I would definitely recommend Rapture. To get the most out of it, you have to relax and go with the flow, but also ask questions and have your own motivation.

I'll be going back as soon as I can!

Room Tip: I stayed in the dorm which was basic but clean. The Surf shack and the bungalows look amazing thoug...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank HughRobinson
Sydney
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Spent one week at the camp with a friend and was unfortunately very disappointed about the following:

The Camp:
• Construction work at the pool, no relaxation therefore really :-( Unfortunately there is not much around, so you stay there and try to overhear the noise or you walk for "hrs" to the closest beach (car hire recommend, but traffic is hell)
• Water shut off for indefinite periods and without warning: Arrived at about 10pm from the airport and wanted to take a shower and brush my teeth after a long trip, but that was not possible. Result: It stinks and attracts insects.
• Arrival at the airport: Terrible signs. The driver had held up a sign saying "Rapture". Just by chance we found out that the camp is called Camp Rapture Surf. We were looking for Kima or Wave Tours, as booked through an agency ...
• The floor in the shower and dorm room was just swept, not mopped for days. Cockroaches and frogs in the room. I live in Sydney and there are the critters as well, but can be avoided by cleanliness heaps
• The mosquito nets had holes, so they were useless
• There was an evening to eat traditional Balinese, because the cook (Sunny) had taken time off and showed just up once with food delivered.
• Dogs and cats in the kitchen. Cats on work surface! Found that very disgusting.
• Unfortunately, there were a lot of heated discussions between Josh and his helpers Pepe and Conner in front of us and others, which is totally unprofessional.

The Surfing lessons:
• A good surfer isn't automatically a good teacher. Josh's teachers had resigned before we arrived and so he and Conner (not a trained surf instructor) hold the "lessons". We went to the beaches Nusa Dua and Padang Padang, totally not suitable for beginners with rocks and there was a small introduction, how to paddle, but NO theory lessons. In the water I tried my first steps on the board, but I (and other guests) felt not in good hands. Josh took declare themselves no time the ground rules, and when I told him that I'm scared and think that the beach is totally inappropriate, his only answer was that the waves are not high and I therefore shouldn't worry. This is an inadequate response and helps nobody.
• On the penultimate day, we were proved in our decision not to take surfing lessons, as a French girl had an accident and severely injured her leg. Josh did not know exactly what to do and did not have a first aid kit there!!! This is really an absolute no go!

• I've paid 170 euros for a performance (referring only to surf lessons) that has not occurred.

•As I pre booked through an agency (not recommended) I received only 40 Euros refund.

Overall: Diasappointing experience!
Misleading ad: "But also beginners can surf here at high tide and small swell." What a joke!
Lucky I just spend one week there! Would have left earlier, but I had booked in advance and the complaints where not taken seriously. No changes when we talked to the owner. Just ignored.

My advice for beginners: Go somewhere else, where you can learn on a sandy beach. I learned surfing straight away in Seminyak, a really good spot! You get a great experience for less money :-)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
19 Thank SarahS81
, Owner at Rapture Surfcamp Bali, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Mmm yes interesting review i clearly remember Sarah the type of person who wouldn't be happy in a 5 star luxury resort and was terrified of the water so even trying to give her any type of lesson was a no no even when we surfed 1ft chop that was terrifying, who goes to a surf camp when your scared of water.

There are some people out there who you just cant please and you my darling are one of them. Sarah was very angry at myself as i turned her down the first night she arrived late drunk and looking for a man i clearly explained to her that i was MARRIED and not interested but she persisted and i went to bed in shock that a women would throw herself on me that quick the next day was even worst when she told me that she was not treated like she wanted and would hence write a bad review to ruin my buisness as i made her feel unwanted a week with this client around was very difficult and i tried to please her in ways i felt right but nothing was good enough. Im not perfect and i try my hardest to run my business well as you can see from previous 17 good reviews, im professional and i love my wife.

So Sarah i wish you the best to find your man and yes the construction work that was going on has now finished, we need to make improvements to try to get to your standards and if you surfed and gave us a chance you would have been more satisfied.
Nanaimo, BC
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We are 40+ couple that have been surfing for about 2 1/2 years. My wife is a beginner and she was able to surf in white water before but was always apprehensive of going into green waves. I'm an intermediate surfer and able to surf overhead waves and do a few basic tricks. Our goal was simple: surf! and improve our level. Here is the breakdown of the camp:

Surfing: The surfing is outstanding! What else can I say... perfect waves over and over an over. Josh and his team organize groups based on levels and they take you to the best places for the day. My wife joined the beginner group and I joined the intermediate/advanced group. Many times we ended up going to the same place, but we surf in different locations. All I can say is that both of us improved so much that we could not believe our eyes. My wife who was very apprehensive of any green waves was charging 5 to 6 foot waves at the end of the week and able to ride them! In my case I was able to be at the right spot all the time. The guides are very knowledgeable of the area and can tell you exactly what the waves are going to do. We were both very happy with our guides. Monot, Buddy, Dick and Connor were outstanding with us and took us to the right spots. We surfed sometimes 3 times a day. We absolutely loved all the surf sites we visited. On small piece of advice: Be honest with your surfing level. If you say you are an intermediate, make sure you are in good paddling shape and you know how to negotiate waves in a reef. If you don't feel comfortable with that, then go with the beginners for a while and catch the bigger waves. Bottom line... We love the surfing! More than we expected.

Accommodations: Before coming to the camp, this was our main worry. We are not kids anymore, so we wanted our own private villa with private bathroom and a nice comfortable bed. All I can say is wow! The villa that they gave us was awesome, the decoration is an amazing Balinese style room with a gorgeous outdoors bathroom and hot shower. We could shower and watch the stars at the same time... magical! and very romantic room. It also had A/C and TV with DVDs.

The camp is inland, so no beach access nearby. All the rooms either face a perfectly manicured garden or the awesome pool. The camp is very tidy and very tastily decorated. Pool, pool table, bar, surfboards everywhere, music... just awesome. I can't comment in the other rooms as I didn't stay, but I understand that you can share rooms with other people and from talking to other guest everybody was pleased with their rooms.

The camp is rural location because that's where all the good surfing is... so expect some "jungle" noise during the night and roosters in the morning. Not really a problem for us as we were so tired that we did no hear anything. I should also mentioned that during our entire stay we didn't see a single bug!

Food: Breakfast in the morning either before surfing or after the first surfing session if we went early. Very good simple breakfast. Order you eggs, pancakes, Jaffle, toast, etc. Coffee, tea, etc. is abundant and very good. Dinner severs at 7pm and I can't really comment too much as my wife and I decided to go out to try the local restaurants. The couple of days that we ate in the camp, we ate very well. Don't expect a huge meal; good local food to energized you after your surfing sessions. If you are into full meals like my wife and I... then try the local restaurant around, they are many, they are cheap and awesome! Overall, the food is great and good comments from all guest during our stay. Drinks are available at the bar for a very reasonable price. Lunch you are normally on your own between surfing sessions. Saturday night normally all the guests go out together to a local restaurant.

Overall: We came here to surf. We surfed indeed! We both improved our levels and we are very happy with the place... how happy? Well we wished we would have booked 2 weeks here. The following week we had another hotel and we were wishing we stayed in the camp. The atmosphere at the camp is awesome and they really make you feel like family. We are both over 40 years old and we never felt older than 20 the entire time! It was a real awesome experience.

Tips:
- Rent a scooter locally; very good price and you can move around. You will need it if you want to go out to dinner or explore the area. Make sure you have an international driving license if you plan to travel a bit with the scooter. Also if you do, cover your skin as much as possible (long pants, long sleeves t-shirts and helmet) this will avoid the police from identifying you a white and stopping you :-)
- Be honest with your surfing level. Bali can produce very powerful overhead waves and lots of powerful currents combined with reefs.
- Take the time to get to know your fellow guest, that's where most of the fun is!

Room Tip: If you want privacy, get your own Villa; they are awesome.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank glfmkg
, Owner at Rapture Surfcamp Bali, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
Amazing people from Argintina loved having you both here these 2 enjoyed life and made the vibe in the camp great. Its nice to have such friendly caring new friends love to have you both back sometime soon and keep on surfing you guys.

Take care
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We had a blast and enjoyed every single day at the camp! First we stayed one week, then extended three more days and finally we decided to stay our whole three weeks trip there because we liked it so much. We had the luck to stay at different rooms and they are all amazing (Luxury Dorm with air cond yay, Villa WAS AWESOME)! The food (breakfast & dinner) was delicious every day! A big thank you to our cooks!! Not to forget the great massage from Sunny!! We also enjoyed the surfing lessons at different spots (so nice everything's organized and you go there and back with the group)! We liked the chilling, familiar atmosphere in the camp and the funny, cool hosts! There's nothing more to write. Just: Go there and enjoy as we did! <3

• Stayed June 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I've travelled around many of the world’s best surfing destinations so know what I'm looking for when I go. When I came to Bali I wanted to stay somewhere where I could feel relaxed with the people around me and maximise water time. Rapture was the perfect place for this; the place itself is very well kept, all the people working there are great, as is the hospitality and food!
One of the best things about the camp is the guiding available for beginners and experienced surfers, you don't need to waste any time thinking about where to go for the day, it’s all handled for you, they can get you to best break for the day taking into consideration wave quality and crowds!
I must have surfed 6 hours every day for 2 weeks, which is what I went for; but if you're feeling like a lazy day there's always the pool, pool table, bar, local café's, shops and temples to keep you off the streets! I'll be going back for sure whenever I surf Bali in the future…

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pecatu
Suarga Padang Padang
Padang Padang Surf Camp
De Sapphire Cliff Villa
Anantara Uluwatu Bali Resort
The Villas at AYANA Resort BALI

Been to Rapture Surfcamp Bali? Share your experiences!