“Our surfing improved so much!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rapture Surfcamp Bali

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pecatu
Rapture Surfcamp Bali
Ranked #1 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Pecatu
Nanaimo, BC
“Our surfing improved so much!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

We are 40+ couple that have been surfing for about 2 1/2 years. My wife is a beginner and she was able to surf in white water before but was always apprehensive of going into green waves. I'm an intermediate surfer and able to surf overhead waves and do a few basic tricks. Our goal was simple: surf! and improve our level. Here is the breakdown of the camp:

Surfing: The surfing is outstanding! What else can I say... perfect waves over and over an over. Josh and his team organize groups based on levels and they take you to the best places for the day. My wife joined the beginner group and I joined the intermediate/advanced group. Many times we ended up going to the same place, but we surf in different locations. All I can say is that both of us improved so much that we could not believe our eyes. My wife who was very apprehensive of any green waves was charging 5 to 6 foot waves at the end of the week and able to ride them! In my case I was able to be at the right spot all the time. The guides are very knowledgeable of the area and can tell you exactly what the waves are going to do. We were both very happy with our guides. Monot, Buddy, Dick and Connor were outstanding with us and took us to the right spots. We surfed sometimes 3 times a day. We absolutely loved all the surf sites we visited. On small piece of advice: Be honest with your surfing level. If you say you are an intermediate, make sure you are in good paddling shape and you know how to negotiate waves in a reef. If you don't feel comfortable with that, then go with the beginners for a while and catch the bigger waves. Bottom line... We love the surfing! More than we expected.

Accommodations: Before coming to the camp, this was our main worry. We are not kids anymore, so we wanted our own private villa with private bathroom and a nice comfortable bed. All I can say is wow! The villa that they gave us was awesome, the decoration is an amazing Balinese style room with a gorgeous outdoors bathroom and hot shower. We could shower and watch the stars at the same time... magical! and very romantic room. It also had A/C and TV with DVDs.

The camp is inland, so no beach access nearby. All the rooms either face a perfectly manicured garden or the awesome pool. The camp is very tidy and very tastily decorated. Pool, pool table, bar, surfboards everywhere, music... just awesome. I can't comment in the other rooms as I didn't stay, but I understand that you can share rooms with other people and from talking to other guest everybody was pleased with their rooms.

The camp is rural location because that's where all the good surfing is... so expect some "jungle" noise during the night and roosters in the morning. Not really a problem for us as we were so tired that we did no hear anything. I should also mentioned that during our entire stay we didn't see a single bug!

Food: Breakfast in the morning either before surfing or after the first surfing session if we went early. Very good simple breakfast. Order you eggs, pancakes, Jaffle, toast, etc. Coffee, tea, etc. is abundant and very good. Dinner severs at 7pm and I can't really comment too much as my wife and I decided to go out to try the local restaurants. The couple of days that we ate in the camp, we ate very well. Don't expect a huge meal; good local food to energized you after your surfing sessions. If you are into full meals like my wife and I... then try the local restaurant around, they are many, they are cheap and awesome! Overall, the food is great and good comments from all guest during our stay. Drinks are available at the bar for a very reasonable price. Lunch you are normally on your own between surfing sessions. Saturday night normally all the guests go out together to a local restaurant.

Overall: We came here to surf. We surfed indeed! We both improved our levels and we are very happy with the place... how happy? Well we wished we would have booked 2 weeks here. The following week we had another hotel and we were wishing we stayed in the camp. The atmosphere at the camp is awesome and they really make you feel like family. We are both over 40 years old and we never felt older than 20 the entire time! It was a real awesome experience.

Tips:
- Rent a scooter locally; very good price and you can move around. You will need it if you want to go out to dinner or explore the area. Make sure you have an international driving license if you plan to travel a bit with the scooter. Also if you do, cover your skin as much as possible (long pants, long sleeves t-shirts and helmet) this will avoid the police from identifying you a white and stopping you :-)
- Be honest with your surfing level. Bali can produce very powerful overhead waves and lots of powerful currents combined with reefs.
- Take the time to get to know your fellow guest, that's where most of the fun is!

Room Tip: If you want privacy, get your own Villa; they are awesome.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank glfmkg
, Owner at Rapture Surfcamp Bali, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
Amazing people from Argintina loved having you both here these 2 enjoyed life and made the vibe in the camp great. Its nice to have such friendly caring new friends love to have you both back sometime soon and keep on surfing you guys.

Take care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

We had a blast and enjoyed every single day at the camp! First we stayed one week, then extended three more days and finally we decided to stay our whole three weeks trip there because we liked it so much. We had the luck to stay at different rooms and they are all amazing (Luxury Dorm with air cond yay, Villa WAS AWESOME)! The food (breakfast & dinner) was delicious every day! A big thank you to our cooks!! Not to forget the great massage from Sunny!! We also enjoyed the surfing lessons at different spots (so nice everything's organized and you go there and back with the group)! We liked the chilling, familiar atmosphere in the camp and the funny, cool hosts! There's nothing more to write. Just: Go there and enjoy as we did! <3

• Stayed June 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

I've travelled around many of the world’s best surfing destinations so know what I'm looking for when I go. When I came to Bali I wanted to stay somewhere where I could feel relaxed with the people around me and maximise water time. Rapture was the perfect place for this; the place itself is very well kept, all the people working there are great, as is the hospitality and food!
One of the best things about the camp is the guiding available for beginners and experienced surfers, you don't need to waste any time thinking about where to go for the day, it’s all handled for you, they can get you to best break for the day taking into consideration wave quality and crowds!
I must have surfed 6 hours every day for 2 weeks, which is what I went for; but if you're feeling like a lazy day there's always the pool, pool table, bar, local café's, shops and temples to keep you off the streets! I'll be going back for sure whenever I surf Bali in the future…

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Highly recommended if you are looking for a chill place but yet have some level of luxury yet still feel like its a home away from home. I have been there 4 times now.for the past 3 years and seen it grow from 2 villas to now the great landscape, the pool, the pool stage ( where we do AIr band) and the BBQs weekends. It is a very homey and also has other services lie ordering your custom surf board or buying the very sexy Maggie Bikinis - designed and made and you get to meet Maggie herself ! You meet many like minded people there and you will want to come back again and again.

Room Tip: If you want a bit of luxury, book the villas - its well worth it.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FemmeDiva
Deventer, Overijssel, Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

I've had some really good days in the camp. Staff is friendly and helpfull and the accomodation very luxurious. Warm water in the showers and clean sanitary.Great stay

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Peter I
Little Switzerland, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

I had a great time at the Rapture Bali camp went twice for 3 weeks. I returned so it must have been good. I would recommended staying there.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brock f
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

I had a fantastic week here. The staff were brilliant, fun and accommodating. It is a very relaxed atmosphere. I stayed in the dorms, which were spacious and practical, with electric fans and lamps provided for each bunk, and only 4 bunks to a room, so you are not tripping over each other. I had a look in the Villas and Bungalow as well, and these are verging on decadent in their style, layout and comfort. The bathrooms are clean, and the showers are very 'back to nature', which is what you want after a day out at sea.

The surf set up is brilliant too. I have been to other camps, in other countries, and have never been happier. You surf a wide range of beaches, depending on the weather, wave conditions, your ability and tide. The surf guides are great fun, and will always get you to the right spot for take offs. They are very encouraging and give plenty of tips. The quiver of boards to choose from at the camp is impressive, and after 3 days found my perfect board (the other days I also used good boards, but it took time for me to get used to surfing without a cumbersome wetsuit, and the water temp can be warmer than the air!)

The food at the camp is great, with breakfast and dinner laid on, which greatly reduces the cost of living, and the massages provided by Sunny, at a very cheap rate compared to others in Bali, is by far the best massage I have every had! There is a free pool table, small library, playing cards and TV to enjoy, and the cost of beer is competitive too.

It costs around 150,000Rp from the airport, and the taxis provided from Rapture camps to get to Kuta and other places of interest are charged at a good competitive rate.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank BobbyV83
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pecatu
Suarga Padang Padang
Anantara Uluwatu Bali Resort
Melali Bingin
Melali Bingin
#2 of 62 in Pecatu

Been to Rapture Surfcamp Bali? Share your experiences!