“Excellent”

Ranked #5 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Pecatu
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Isn't a luxury hotel, but is very confortable, and the treatment was perfect, they were really attentive and friendly. A perfect location, you can just walk to padang padang beach, and have some internacional restaurants near. The surf lessons for beginners are very good, they give you all tips you need for each beach.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Here is the email I wrote to the camp upon my return home. I think it pretty much sums things up:

I've been home for over two weeks now and still can't stop talking
about my 4 days with you at Padang. You may get an influx of people
from California as all of my friends are jealous of the amazing time I
had surfing in Bali! Many thanks to all of you for your good humor,
great surf tips, and generous warmth in welcoming me for my short
stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank JEFC28
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Great location. The surf instructors are incredible surfers, many of whom have been surfing those breaks literally every day for 30 years+. They give some skill instruction, but their strength is they will take you out to the absolute best spots at just the right time, and give you clear direction on how to navigate the currents and where exactly to catch the wave. They will also run interference for you, keep people from dropping in on you, and they command enough respect out there that they do that well. They do, however, spend most of their time acting like teenage boys, and crudely, obnoxiously and aggressively hitting on anything female. Make that very crudely. Also - this is definitely not for total beginners; the beginner's group was mostly people like me, who'd surfed maybe a few weeks a year for 5-10 years.

The place is nice enough, but very pricey compared to the places right next to it, that are run by Balinese, and don't advertise on the internet. Easy to find a place by just showing up and lookng around. Much better deal to stay somewhere else, and just join the group for instruction. Although it is pretty convenient to just hang out there between surf sessions, and get some great camaraderie with the other guests.

The owners - well, decent enough, but they stay full enough that they don't really have to be too polite to the guests - They often act like the hotel is their house, which I guess it is, and you're imposing on them by staying there, so you damn well better do as they say. It's interesting to be hanging round the pool in the afternoon, chatting quietly with other guests, and to be told to stop talking because the owner's daughter is taking a nap. And they'll charge you extra for whatever they can... Andrew, if you reply too this, no need to be defensive or dismiss me like you do with other comments that aren't glowing, just realize that you are, you know, running a hotel.

Would I go back? Probably. If the cost is in your budget, and the point of your stay is to surf, then you can put up with the rest.

Room Tip: If by fitness centre you mean surf breaks, then def 5 stars.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Jake S
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My sister and I really wanted to do surf lessons while holidaying in Bali and
Padang Padang is a great place to learn. We seeked for the best schools in the area and came across Padang Padang Surf Camp. We emailed them and got a quick response back and went surfing the next morning. We met at the actual camp and were instantly made to feel welcome. We had a cup of tea brought to us straight away and the surf campers were so chilled. This helped my nerves!
The instructors english was excellent and their knowledge was super.
I enjoyed my surf lesson so much I am looking to stay there in July!

Overall- great atmosphere an pretty well organised.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Had a fantastic week off at this super-chill camp; met some great people, veg'd by the pool, and had yummy brekkie and lunches and easy access to rentable scooters. It was definitely tough to leave! While I loved where we surfed, I can echo other folks' issues with the instructors. I had one day of great instruction where I felt that the guide was attentive to my beginner needs, but the other days, the young guides seemed quite disinterested other than the random "Paddle!" or push into a wave. I would love to pay more money for a full-blown excellent surf instructor, so that might be my one wish. And more robust wifi, this one was very unreliable. All in all, I'll come back, but probably get instruction elsewhere.

Room Tip: The huge suites are gorgeous! But you can save money with the Manager's Room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank wandersmuch
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at padang surf camp - I stayed in the deluxe room with the hammock, a must if I go back, worth every cent.
The whole experience was lovely - from the helpful instructors, Coyok & Tina were amazing, the food, and the friendly staff. It was a great way to meet interesting people, I will definitely go back!

Room Tip: Spend the extra and get the room at the top with hammock, it's quieter
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed August 25, 2012

First I wanna thank all the staff from the camp. Tina, thanks so much for your guide and help in our stay.

Well, I'll make it easy.

Really cool place.
Good food
clean and comfortable
good price for value
and in an excellent location, near the best waves in Bali.

This guys organize your whole stay, so it is really comfortable if you like it that way. We made 2 sessions with them daily and they took us to the best breaks depending on our surfing level.

they are really good with begginers too and every one in the camp enjoyed it very much. I can tell that from our long chats after the surf session during the delicious breakfasts

I will definitely go there again.

good surf

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pecatu
Suarga Padang Padang
#8 of 62 in Pecatu
Sal Secret Spot
Sal Secret Spot
#6 of 8 in Uluwatu

Been to Padang Padang Surf Camp? Share your experiences!