“Praise for Bahia del Sol's restaurant and grounds!”

Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Potrero
GreenLeadersGold level
toronto canada
“Praise for Bahia del Sol's restaurant and grounds!”
Reviewed August 28, 2009

To start off, I would just like to say that we were going to book our wedding at Bahia del Sol but circumstances forced us to cancel - we were forced to have the wedding in a different area of Costa Rica. I would just like to say that the Roxana and all the staff at Bahia del Sol were extremely helpful, and their restaurant and grounds are spectacular (according to my father who lives in Flamingo and eats here all the time). We will definately keep them in mind for future holidays.

d+l

• Stayed April 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed June 21, 2009

I stayed at the Bahia Del Sol Hotel in May 2009 as part of a Wedding Party and was satisfied with the overall experience.

STAFF: They were very friendly and helpful.

LOCATION: The drive from the airport in Liberia was about 1 hr. The hotel is in a private beach area off of a dirt road. Around the area there are some grocery stores and there are a couple restaurants off of the hotel that are only a short walk away. The WORST PART of the hotel was the ocean water. The water was extremely murky from the dark volcanic sand so that it was always cloudy. Most people in our group did not want to go in go fear of getting bitten by some unseen, unknown creature. The scenery however was very beautiful and tropical. The hotel has a very nice warm pool, with seating for a bar. While we were there, the jacuzzi's were never warm and flying ants also bombarded the pool a couple times (caution: they bite). There's plenty of lawn chairs on grass for lounging as well as a restaurant area.

ROOMS: The rooms were quite clean and spacious. I didn't have anything stolen (always a plus)! They included air-conditioning and a refrigerator.

PRICE: For the wedding, we had a deal to pay for three days for a room and you get the forth free. A complimentary breakfast was included -- there was plenty of fruit, juice, eggs, and rice and beans. By the fourth day, the rice and beans got a little bit tiring and could have been changed with something else.

WEDDING: The wedding on the lawn was decorated very well, and the lawn was cleaned at our request. During the ceremony, people in the ocean were unfortunately making noise. The DJ for the dancing did not MC really at all, which was disappointing. The food was very good though.

So, overall, there were some low-lights and some high-lights of this hotel. It was decent, but there might be a better option in the area.

I HAVE ATTACHED SOME PICTURES OF THE ROOM AND HOTEL PREMESIS.

PS. The Catamaran tour is a great time!!! It is less expensive, closer, and just as fun (if not better) than the zip-line/ hot spring tour. We talked the Catamaran tour down to $50 per person.

• Stayed May 2009
3 Thank Kristophoros
Miami
Reviewed May 4, 2009

Bahia Del Sol is the perfect hotel a private, beautiful and amazing wedding. The hotel staff, service and food were over and beyond our expectations. The hotel is directly on a private, quite and beautiful beach. It's truly breathtaking!!! The rooms are clean and spacious; the staff is friendly and accommodating. The hotel grounds are filled with lush gardens and extoic plants. The pool bar and area is really nice. It definitely feels like you’re in Costa Rica. We are extremely happy that we chose Bahia Del Sol Beach Front Hotel & Suites for our wedding weekend location.

• Stayed April 2009
2 Thank wendyandjojo
Grand Lake
Reviewed April 21, 2009

My husband and I started our vacation at a beautiful villa hotel near Jaco, Villa Calletas. Absolutely, gorgeous. Based on the beautiful photos, this property looked to be just as nice. Buyer beware, kudos to the photographer who did the shoot for the property, but it is nowhere near as nice. It is beachfront - beach is just okay - but the property is dated and in dire need of updating. The standard room we had was dark, dingy with leaky plumbing and a big disappointment. The roads surrounding are dirt with dust everywhere - and you better know where the hotel is because there are no signs! In truth, that seems to be consistent problem in CR both in towns and on the roads.

They staff were nice and the breakfast buffet was okay. We actually left a day early even though we could not get a refund on our second night. Went up to Ocatal - beautiful beach and a great little village with shopping and restaurants!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GrandLakeChick
MLouis, Manager at Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2009
Dear sirs,

Please receive our warm greetings from a sunny Potrero beach.

My name is Miranda Louis, since a year and a half I have been the operational manager of the Bahia del Sol Beachfront Hotel & Suites. I have seen many comments on Trip Advisor, some are praising the hotel and the client service we provide, others indicate areas for improvement. The comments our clients provide help us to provide the highest quality service and continuously grow.

We are all terribly shocked and surprised with your comments about the hotel, road and general impressions about Costa Rica – which is a green destinations, for the adventurous and nature lovers.
I am very sorry to find out until now about your impressions on the hotel and not during your stay, our reception staff has the empowerment to have offered you a free upgrade to a deluxe room or suite to have made your stay more comfortable. Also any problem encountered in the room and reported to the front desk is immediately handled by our maintenance people who are always present to fix a leaking faucet.

Visible from the lobby is the colorful jungle that fills the heart of our hotel, all our rooms are situated around it. An array of exotic plants and trees, including coconut palms, banana trees, wild ginger, heliconias, and a 100-year-old still-flowering Guanacaste tree—the national tree of Costa Rica— are part of this jungle that has been carefully and lovingly designed so that every room can enjoy it from its front patio or balcony. In summer the shade generated by the trees and plants keeps the temperature down and in winter it is a lush jungle well worth taking some pictures of. Most guests enjoy this garden that brings them some refreshing shade since Guanacaste is the warmest and driest province of Costa Rica.

Costa Rican roads are maintained by the government and municipalities and not all of them are paved, some of the most quaint little towns like Monteverde only have a dirt road leading to them. From Flamingo to the hotel is less than a mile of a gravel road, we try to keep part of the road in front of the hotel either wet or sprayed with molasses in the dry season.

As for our cancelation policies, they are published on our website and given to you in advance, please note that they are the same for all hotels in Costa Rica, changes can be made before arrival but once at the hotel there may be a penalty for early departure.

We will be more alert next time and take your comments in a positive and constructive manner, thank you for having it passed on to us and given us the opportunity to understand better the needs of our guests and improve even further our infrastructure and client service.

Since regards,
Miranda Louis
Edmonton
Reviewed April 16, 2009

What an incredible week we had at the Bahia del Sol from March 19-26, 2009. We chose this location based on some guidance from our wedding planner Larissa Banting, and for it's size and location. We brought with us a group of 43, so we pretty much took up the entire hotel with our guests which was nice(no speedo shots in our wedding photos!)

We arrived to a very organic-feeling outdoor check in complete with bamboo furniture, lush green gardens and gorgeous flowers. Right away staff members greeted us with a complementary tropical beverage. Check in was easy and we were through to our rooms in minutes. The gardens are so unbelievably stunning!

With our guests taking up most of the hotel we got to see every room, and all are very nice. The pictures on the website really don't do the Bahia justice. The rooms are much nicer, and kept very cool with powerful a/c.

I've read some other posts on here about "rude" staff. Not sure where those people were staying, but it wasn't the Bahia. The staff was great! Yes, some stuff takes a little longer, but once you adapt to the "pura vida" lifestyle, it's no big deal. They are not being rude, it's just that everyone is very chill. The breakfast is so much more than a typical complementary breakfast. We had pancakes, planteen, eggs, toast, muffins, sausages, breakfast potatoes, cereal, juices, espresso, etc. Our guests loved the breakfast!

The days leading up to the wedding were a blast! The hotel was very accommodating with our wedding-related events. The wedding day was a dream! Perfect location for a wedding. I got a massage on the morning of, as did about 10 others, and WOW! Highly recommended. Try the "four hands" and you won't be sorry. Two massage therapists working on you at once.

Overall the hotel was incredible, very accommodating, the pool is great, and you've got the beach all to yourself! Tip:at the swim up bar try to Miami Beach drink. Fall asleep in the afternoon sun in your hammock listening to the crashing waves which you will hear 24/7. It really is amazing how loud they are!

Make sure to head over to Mar y Sol restaurant in Flamingo for a nice dinner out. Make a reso, sit in the upper lounge and get there to see the sunset! I've got some great connections on other restaurants, and a tour guide named Don who is AMAZING, and more reasonable than the rest of them. Please contact me if you have any questions wedding related or not. kskelton81@hotmail.com

• Stayed March 2009
3 Thank cocoasun
Chicago
Reviewed February 16, 2009

Hotel is on Playa Portero beach, off a dusty road with their own guarded parking lot. Front desk is right at the entrance of lot. The rooms are standard type rooms, medium size pool with swim up bar, lounges and the beach a few feet away. Garden is lush and pathways to room is one of the nicest aspects of hotel. Outside corridor, outside each room, is a set of comfortable chairs overlooking the garden.

For some reason I was initially assigned to the end of the building, near the dusty road when the hotel had about 30-40% occupancy rate....but requested a change and was moved closer near the pool/beach.

One thing I did notice was the staff was not very attentive, nor the friendliest.....bartender on personal phone call, not able to order a drink...similar situation during lunch, after sitting down and waiting several minutes, had to request menus and a drink.

Food seemed outragiously priced considering quality.....For Lunch Least expensive main course.....$9 for a fish burger or hamburger, $3 for a coke plus 25% tax and gratuity. There are restaurants down the street that are much better and priced reasonably.

Portero beach is a nice black sand beach, several kilometers long, but certainly not one of the best in Costa Rica. Playa Conchal is about 15 minute drive away. (Drive on playa Brasilito to the end and then up a steep little hiil to access to Playa Conchal.
Overall the hotel is okay, best attribute is that it is on the beach, but totaly overpriced at $150 to 200 a night.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank travlingon
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed February 1, 2009

I just had my wedding at Bahia Del Sol and it was absolutely perfect! We picked this hotel based on reviews from this website. I cannot think of anything bad to say about Bahia Del Sol. Our wedding planner, Sylvia [--], was amazing! We emailed for a year about the details of the wedding and she created the wedding of our dreams within our budget. Everyone was so impressed with all of the beautiful details.

The hotel was exactly what we were looking for. It was small so all the staff knows you after a day or two. Everyone who worked there was so nice and really aimed to please us. Roxanna, the manager, who worked with Sylvia on the menu for the wedding reception was great and answered all our questions when we arrived. She also made sure all the welcome bags that Sylvia had put together were in everyone's rooms when they arrived. Several nights the bartender kept the bar open late for us and seemed happy to do so. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. All of the wait staff were very professional and nice. The spa treatments were fantastic and reasonably priced (everything was 30% off). A staff member told us a place just down the beach where we could go snorkle and it was great. There is also a great locals bar/restaurant right on the beach if you walk out on the beach from Bahia Del Sol and go to the right. Wednesday night is ladies night and they have a bonfire and ladies drink for free for 1 hour. We were never there on a Wednesday but kept hearing about how fun it was. We ate lunch there one day and everyone's food was great. Right across the street from Bahia Del Sol's main entrance is a bar/resturant that has good cheap food. Some of our guests went there after the rehearsal dinner and sang karoke and had a great time.

The grounds of this place are so beautiful! I loved how you had so many choices of where to hang out. They provide chairs for the beach or just inside the grounds is a grassy area overlooking the ocean and the pool where you have the option of shade or sun. The pool and swim up bar were fantastic. We especially liked the "hot" tub that isn't hot. I thought this was strange when I read another review about the hot tub not being hot but it is so hot there you wouldn't want to get in a hot tub. It became a great hangout spot because when you are in it you have a great view of the ocean. It was my favorite place to be at sunset.

Bahia Del Sol is just 5 minutes from Flamingo Beach where there are several good restaurants. We had our rehearsal dinner at Mar Y Sol. It is the most beautiful restaurant I've ever been to. It sits on the top of the hill in Flamingo and the view is literally breathtaking. I think my favorite thing about the rehearsal dinner was watching everyone's faces as they came up the stairs and saw the view. We had the whole upstairs rented out and it was perfect. We had 47 people which fit nicely in the space. The food, the staff, & the atmosphere was excellent! If you stay at Bahia Del Sol I would definitely recommend going to Mar Y Sol around 5pm (the sunset is around 5:30pm year round) and have drinks and/or dinner. It is beautiful and has great food!

I thought the rooms at Bahia were great and reasonably priced. I saw every type of room that Bahia has because the guests of our wedding took up almost the entire hotel. I loved how all the rooms had tall ceilings. The bathrooms were very nice. We stayed at a much more expensive hotel on our honeymoon whose bathrooms weren't as nice as Bahia Del Sol's. The only difference between the standard room and the standard deluxe room is the deluxe rooms have a private outdoor area off the back with a tub, outdoor shower, and 2 chairs. My only complaint would be that I didn't think the pillows were very comfortable, but I'm kind of picky about my pillow. The suites are great! In the 2 bedroom suites each bedroom has it's own bathroom. The living space was large and airy and was a perfect space for me and my bridesmaids to get ready for the wedding. There were lots of mirrors - 1 in each bathroom - 1 in each bedroom - & 1 in the living room. Now this may seem like a minor detail but I cannot tell you how perfect this was when everyone was trying to get ready. We stayed in the King Sun Suite our wedding night. It is very nice but pricey. It is not any bigger that a standard deluxe room but you get a king bed and the bed has a down comforter. It has a nice porch area over looking the ocean.

The other thing I loved about Bahia was that you could hear the ocean from every room and from everywhere on the grounds. The waves are small but for some reason the sound is very loud (maybe it's the sand?). I will never forget getting out of the 4 1/2 hour shuttle [--] from the San Jose Airport at 10pm and all I could hear was the ocean. It sounded exactly like their website! I have to brag a little now on the shuttle company. We had 47 people all flying in within a week of each other about half into Liberia and half into San Jose so I started emailing some shuttle companies to see if I could get a good price for everyone. Leonel with The Costa Rica Shuttle Company [--] was quick to respond and provided all the shuttles from both Liberia and San Jose for all of our guests. They were private, air conditioned shuttles and everyone made it safely to and from Bahia Del Sol with no problems. It was nice to arrive after a long day of traveling and have someone waiting for you and not have to worry about finding your way. If you rent a car I would not recommend trying to find Bahia Del Sol in the dark. It would be very difficult if you have never been there before. If you arrive late, take a shuttle and then have a rental car company bring you a car to the hotel the next day.

We had our wedding out on the beach and then we all ate dinner under the stars in the grassy lawn of Bahia. They had teaky torches burning all around, there was a perfect breeze off the ocean, and the decorations that Sylvia put together made for a very romantic and special dinner. The chef at the hotel is fantastic! He is a young guy who we heard some of the bigger hotels have heard about and are now trying to steal away. Had I had the dinner at a restaurant it would have been an amazing meal and the fact that he cooked 47 amazing meals all at once still blows my mind. Now I know it was my wedding so I'm a little bias, but it was the best wedding food I've ever had! We had several other dinners while staying there that were also good. Some of the guys went fishing and the chef cooked the fish they caught for us. After dinner we all moved back under the large thatched roof area where we had our own private bar, lounge areas in the corners, and room for dancing in the middle. It was a perfect space for a reception. It's also a great place during the day to get out of the sun for a little while and read a book or get on your laptop (there is free wi-fi).

Well I've practically written a novel about our time at Bahia Del Sol, but it was such an amazing experience and flawless in every way that I cannot help but give it rave reviews. Feel free to contact me with any questions at angieuncw@hotmail.com.

• Liked — The grounds and the sound of the ocean.
  • Disliked — The pillows.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank travelgirl102380
#1 of 7 in Playa Flamingo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,000 reviews
JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Been to Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!