“Pura Vida Wedding Week!”

Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Potrero
GreenLeadersGold level
Edmonton
“Pura Vida Wedding Week!”
Reviewed April 16, 2009

What an incredible week we had at the Bahia del Sol from March 19-26, 2009. We chose this location based on some guidance from our wedding planner Larissa Banting, and for it's size and location. We brought with us a group of 43, so we pretty much took up the entire hotel with our guests which was nice(no speedo shots in our wedding photos!)

We arrived to a very organic-feeling outdoor check in complete with bamboo furniture, lush green gardens and gorgeous flowers. Right away staff members greeted us with a complementary tropical beverage. Check in was easy and we were through to our rooms in minutes. The gardens are so unbelievably stunning!

With our guests taking up most of the hotel we got to see every room, and all are very nice. The pictures on the website really don't do the Bahia justice. The rooms are much nicer, and kept very cool with powerful a/c.

I've read some other posts on here about "rude" staff. Not sure where those people were staying, but it wasn't the Bahia. The staff was great! Yes, some stuff takes a little longer, but once you adapt to the "pura vida" lifestyle, it's no big deal. They are not being rude, it's just that everyone is very chill. The breakfast is so much more than a typical complementary breakfast. We had pancakes, planteen, eggs, toast, muffins, sausages, breakfast potatoes, cereal, juices, espresso, etc. Our guests loved the breakfast!

The days leading up to the wedding were a blast! The hotel was very accommodating with our wedding-related events. The wedding day was a dream! Perfect location for a wedding. I got a massage on the morning of, as did about 10 others, and WOW! Highly recommended. Try the "four hands" and you won't be sorry. Two massage therapists working on you at once.

Overall the hotel was incredible, very accommodating, the pool is great, and you've got the beach all to yourself! Tip:at the swim up bar try to Miami Beach drink. Fall asleep in the afternoon sun in your hammock listening to the crashing waves which you will hear 24/7. It really is amazing how loud they are!

Make sure to head over to Mar y Sol restaurant in Flamingo for a nice dinner out. Make a reso, sit in the upper lounge and get there to see the sunset! I've got some great connections on other restaurants, and a tour guide named Don who is AMAZING, and more reasonable than the rest of them. Please contact me if you have any questions wedding related or not. kskelton81@hotmail.com

• Stayed March 2009
3 Thank cocoasun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Chicago
Reviewed February 16, 2009

Hotel is on Playa Portero beach, off a dusty road with their own guarded parking lot. Front desk is right at the entrance of lot. The rooms are standard type rooms, medium size pool with swim up bar, lounges and the beach a few feet away. Garden is lush and pathways to room is one of the nicest aspects of hotel. Outside corridor, outside each room, is a set of comfortable chairs overlooking the garden.

For some reason I was initially assigned to the end of the building, near the dusty road when the hotel had about 30-40% occupancy rate....but requested a change and was moved closer near the pool/beach.

One thing I did notice was the staff was not very attentive, nor the friendliest.....bartender on personal phone call, not able to order a drink...similar situation during lunch, after sitting down and waiting several minutes, had to request menus and a drink.

Food seemed outragiously priced considering quality.....For Lunch Least expensive main course.....$9 for a fish burger or hamburger, $3 for a coke plus 25% tax and gratuity. There are restaurants down the street that are much better and priced reasonably.

Portero beach is a nice black sand beach, several kilometers long, but certainly not one of the best in Costa Rica. Playa Conchal is about 15 minute drive away. (Drive on playa Brasilito to the end and then up a steep little hiil to access to Playa Conchal.
Overall the hotel is okay, best attribute is that it is on the beach, but totaly overpriced at $150 to 200 a night.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank travlingon
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed February 1, 2009

I just had my wedding at Bahia Del Sol and it was absolutely perfect! We picked this hotel based on reviews from this website. I cannot think of anything bad to say about Bahia Del Sol. Our wedding planner, Sylvia [--], was amazing! We emailed for a year about the details of the wedding and she created the wedding of our dreams within our budget. Everyone was so impressed with all of the beautiful details.

The hotel was exactly what we were looking for. It was small so all the staff knows you after a day or two. Everyone who worked there was so nice and really aimed to please us. Roxanna, the manager, who worked with Sylvia on the menu for the wedding reception was great and answered all our questions when we arrived. She also made sure all the welcome bags that Sylvia had put together were in everyone's rooms when they arrived. Several nights the bartender kept the bar open late for us and seemed happy to do so. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. All of the wait staff were very professional and nice. The spa treatments were fantastic and reasonably priced (everything was 30% off). A staff member told us a place just down the beach where we could go snorkle and it was great. There is also a great locals bar/restaurant right on the beach if you walk out on the beach from Bahia Del Sol and go to the right. Wednesday night is ladies night and they have a bonfire and ladies drink for free for 1 hour. We were never there on a Wednesday but kept hearing about how fun it was. We ate lunch there one day and everyone's food was great. Right across the street from Bahia Del Sol's main entrance is a bar/resturant that has good cheap food. Some of our guests went there after the rehearsal dinner and sang karoke and had a great time.

The grounds of this place are so beautiful! I loved how you had so many choices of where to hang out. They provide chairs for the beach or just inside the grounds is a grassy area overlooking the ocean and the pool where you have the option of shade or sun. The pool and swim up bar were fantastic. We especially liked the "hot" tub that isn't hot. I thought this was strange when I read another review about the hot tub not being hot but it is so hot there you wouldn't want to get in a hot tub. It became a great hangout spot because when you are in it you have a great view of the ocean. It was my favorite place to be at sunset.

Bahia Del Sol is just 5 minutes from Flamingo Beach where there are several good restaurants. We had our rehearsal dinner at Mar Y Sol. It is the most beautiful restaurant I've ever been to. It sits on the top of the hill in Flamingo and the view is literally breathtaking. I think my favorite thing about the rehearsal dinner was watching everyone's faces as they came up the stairs and saw the view. We had the whole upstairs rented out and it was perfect. We had 47 people which fit nicely in the space. The food, the staff, & the atmosphere was excellent! If you stay at Bahia Del Sol I would definitely recommend going to Mar Y Sol around 5pm (the sunset is around 5:30pm year round) and have drinks and/or dinner. It is beautiful and has great food!

I thought the rooms at Bahia were great and reasonably priced. I saw every type of room that Bahia has because the guests of our wedding took up almost the entire hotel. I loved how all the rooms had tall ceilings. The bathrooms were very nice. We stayed at a much more expensive hotel on our honeymoon whose bathrooms weren't as nice as Bahia Del Sol's. The only difference between the standard room and the standard deluxe room is the deluxe rooms have a private outdoor area off the back with a tub, outdoor shower, and 2 chairs. My only complaint would be that I didn't think the pillows were very comfortable, but I'm kind of picky about my pillow. The suites are great! In the 2 bedroom suites each bedroom has it's own bathroom. The living space was large and airy and was a perfect space for me and my bridesmaids to get ready for the wedding. There were lots of mirrors - 1 in each bathroom - 1 in each bedroom - & 1 in the living room. Now this may seem like a minor detail but I cannot tell you how perfect this was when everyone was trying to get ready. We stayed in the King Sun Suite our wedding night. It is very nice but pricey. It is not any bigger that a standard deluxe room but you get a king bed and the bed has a down comforter. It has a nice porch area over looking the ocean.

The other thing I loved about Bahia was that you could hear the ocean from every room and from everywhere on the grounds. The waves are small but for some reason the sound is very loud (maybe it's the sand?). I will never forget getting out of the 4 1/2 hour shuttle [--] from the San Jose Airport at 10pm and all I could hear was the ocean. It sounded exactly like their website! I have to brag a little now on the shuttle company. We had 47 people all flying in within a week of each other about half into Liberia and half into San Jose so I started emailing some shuttle companies to see if I could get a good price for everyone. Leonel with The Costa Rica Shuttle Company [--] was quick to respond and provided all the shuttles from both Liberia and San Jose for all of our guests. They were private, air conditioned shuttles and everyone made it safely to and from Bahia Del Sol with no problems. It was nice to arrive after a long day of traveling and have someone waiting for you and not have to worry about finding your way. If you rent a car I would not recommend trying to find Bahia Del Sol in the dark. It would be very difficult if you have never been there before. If you arrive late, take a shuttle and then have a rental car company bring you a car to the hotel the next day.

We had our wedding out on the beach and then we all ate dinner under the stars in the grassy lawn of Bahia. They had teaky torches burning all around, there was a perfect breeze off the ocean, and the decorations that Sylvia put together made for a very romantic and special dinner. The chef at the hotel is fantastic! He is a young guy who we heard some of the bigger hotels have heard about and are now trying to steal away. Had I had the dinner at a restaurant it would have been an amazing meal and the fact that he cooked 47 amazing meals all at once still blows my mind. Now I know it was my wedding so I'm a little bias, but it was the best wedding food I've ever had! We had several other dinners while staying there that were also good. Some of the guys went fishing and the chef cooked the fish they caught for us. After dinner we all moved back under the large thatched roof area where we had our own private bar, lounge areas in the corners, and room for dancing in the middle. It was a perfect space for a reception. It's also a great place during the day to get out of the sun for a little while and read a book or get on your laptop (there is free wi-fi).

Well I've practically written a novel about our time at Bahia Del Sol, but it was such an amazing experience and flawless in every way that I cannot help but give it rave reviews. Feel free to contact me with any questions at angieuncw@hotmail.com.

• Liked — The grounds and the sound of the ocean.
  • Disliked — The pillows.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
6 Thank travelgirl102380
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed December 2, 2008

We really loved our stay at this hotel. It is in Playa Portrero, which is about a 3-5 minute drive from Playa Flamingo. I was suprised at how quiet and non-touristy the beaches are here. This hotel looks like it does in the pictures. A really cool thatched roof restaurant, pool, bar, and swim up bar area. They have nice chairs and tiki huts to lounge in. Our room (suite) was spacious, clean and nice, although very dark. Outside the suite is just dripping with lush landscaping. The staff are very helpful and friendly in assisting with arranging tours, etc. Wireless internet is available for $10/day. There is basically nothing in Potrero (there is a very small market nearby to stock up on food/drinks - the suites come with full kitchens, table, and seating areas) so we went over to Flamingo for dinner. Flamingo is very small too, just a few restaurants and that's about it. I was glad that we ended up here. I wanted to stay at Flamingo Beach resort but it was full. However, we drove past it and it didn't look like anything special. I think this place is much more attractive. Also, since things are so non-crowded here, you can just drive over to Flamingo and go to the beach there if you want to. The water here is not crystal blue or anything. It is pretty, but not Caribbean looking. It is a dark sand beach with small waves (it is in like a little cove) and the water is very warm. Would be great for kids or anyone. Very relaxing. Not a lot to do (unless you want to book excursions somewhere through the hotel), but if you are looking for relaxing, quiet, romantic, non-touristy, non-crowded, and off the beaten track, this is the place for you!

• Liked — beachfront, quiet, relaxing, great staff, clean big rooms, lush landscaping
  • Disliked — bumpy dirt road, a little hard to find
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MmeCoco
Nashville
Reviewed November 17, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Bahia Del Sol the first part of November. The rooms were nice and the staff members were very helpful. Food was great but we like to venture out and eat where the locals eats. So, we only ate at the hotel a couple days.

The beach is a nice black sand/chocolate sand beach. We rented jet skis and booked a catamaran/snorkel tour with the hotel. Great tours and very friendly people! We will be back

• Liked — Right on the beach!!! Awesome sunset
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank karapax
Europe
Reviewed September 6, 2008

We got Bahia del Sol for our honeymoon, for two weeks. We loved the place - garden, restaurant, reception - from the moment we got there. The air is very tropical yet homey, tranquil and warm.

The first room we got was not nice however - very-very dark, with a view to the back garden, but we had it exchanged the next day. Ask for Suite no 1 if it's free, it is an excellent one! Huge livingroom, excellent bedroom. We didn't get any of the mould or dirt issues I read about in the other reviews. Watch out for the hit water, it is truly HOT!

We absolutely loved the staff, very friendly and helpful, they helped us with everything. I think we went to them five times a day - Internet, diving, bikes (not great quality, but truly reliable), rent a car, advice for beaches, trips, food, room service, everything was beyond reproach. What we loved about them was that they seemed to like what they were doing, not like somebody forced them into it.

We love dogs, so no issue with the fact that they have one or two running freely. On the contrary!

The breakfast is OK for the first couple of days, then it gets boring because it is more or less the same every day. We had dinner only once there and didn't love it, so resorted to going to other places.

The beach is nice, but the fact that the sand it muddy makes water not very clear. However, this gave us the great opportunity too see other beaches - you have to go to Conchal, Pan de Azucar and Minas, if you have a car/ bike/ like walking.

All in all we had a great holiday and are already planning our silver or golden wedding over there :)

Oh, one more thing, the sunset is absolutely STUNNING

Stayed August 2008
3 Thank SomeonefromEurope
West Tennessee
Reviewed August 27, 2008

We stayed the last 4 nights of our 7 day Costa Rica vacation at Poetero Beach in the Bahia Del Sol resort. The staff, grounds, pool and location was great. The rooms and air conditioning were HORRIBLE.
We had to move THREE times before we got a decent room. They upgraded us from a single bedroom to a 2 bedroom suite, but even with that it wasn't great. The air conditioning smelled of mold and even after 2 days it still smelled like mold in my room. I looked inside the filter and where the air flowed out and it was BLACK with MOLD! I called the front desk and the assistant manager had them in there that day, albiet our last day there, cleaning each unit with a pressure washer. The maint staff was instructed to go through ALL the air units inside and out and perform deep cleaning and maint. The keys didn't work half the time with the large sliding glass doors. We had to jiggle them several times. The first night my sister-in-law was about to go to bed and she called to me to look at her bed. She said she swore it looked like they had not put clean sheets on the bed. It took 30 minutes to get new linens but what they brought was a blanket. She was tired and upset by then.. she went to the front desk and waited and they had to "find" some bed linens that looked decent. OMG... get some clean and new linens. The comforters were dated and needed to be replaced. The granite counter tops were nice but all the tiling didn't really match and thats not a big deal.. but I think they didn't ever wet mop the floors. They just swept each day. We got a towel to wipe something off the floor.. it was filfthy after wiping the floor. A mopped floor doesn't have that much dirt.
The tiling and mildew issue needs to be kept on top of due to the environment. I mean we stayed in an even wetter environment at Villa Blanca and it was clean with NO mold.
While management may be hard working with guests, the maid and maint. staff needs to kick it up a few notches in their activity of cleaning.
I asked my travel agent for a partial refund for this portion of our trip, we will see what happens. The food at the breakfast was fair.
I didn't like the color of the beach due to the black/brown sand because you can't see below the water when swimming. I know its a mental thing and the water is fine. I also like dogs but didn't like the freedom they had on the beaches and resorts on the North pacific side... pooping in the garden areas of open air resturants and the beaches.. YUCK!
If they would REALLY update their rooms instead of JUST PAINTING the rooms with more paint each year it could become a very nice resort.
Granted its low season but when there are less guests they should have already done some DEEP cleaning and maint.
The bikes were there, some had flats and torn baskets.. these needed to be replaced or fixed. They had guards walking the premises at night but not sure they would have stopped someone coming in from the beach. What they should do is to build up the stuck gates leading to the beach with an electronic gate as well as the front area. This area is growing with more hotels and homes.. its just a matter of time before crime grows.
I am usually a flexible person and we stayed out of our room most of the time, but I have to be honest in my review here.

• Liked — The front desk staff and free access to their computer, the pool was great.
  • Disliked — The mold in the air units, clealiness of the room, thred bare bed linens, inoperable keys
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
#1 of 7 in Playa Flamingo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,002 reviews
JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Been to Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!