My wife and I just spent 21 days at the Bahia Del Sol--from January 29th to February 19. Needless to say, then you stay anywhere this long, you really get to know a place And the longer we stayed, the more we came to love this gem.
It's not just the immaculately kept grounds, or the fact that it's right on the beach, it's more than that. It's small and personal, but can deliver anything you could get at a larger resort. While we were there, they hosted several weddings, which were all very well done and also hosted a company outing for more than 240 guests, with catamarans, jet skis, kayaks, and umbrellas on the beach. They even have spa services (which we didn't take advantage of) and a small store/gift shop which carries everything from suntan lotion, to sunglasses to coffee and tee shirts.
More than anything, it's the people of the Bahia that shine--as brightly as the Costa Rican sun. We had great service from Mike, Maureen and Priscilla at the front desk (which is an outside open-air affair). They arranged for shuttles, tours and changed our money into the local currency--as well as giving us helpful advice on where to go and what to see. Mike (the manager) even came to our hotel room one night to get our wi-fi (which is free) to work on our laptop.
The folks at the outside restaurant and bar were also amazing--and treated us like family. The majority of them have been at the Bahia for many years. Leo and Jimmy at the bar are as talented as any bartenders we have ever seen. And the service we received at the restaurant from Marvin, Jose, Christine and Nubia was top notch. Although we got a chance to sample many of the local restaurants, two of the dinners we had at the Bahia were the most memorable. For my birthday, they prepared a table for us on a little grassy knoll, under an umbrella, out near the beach--50 feet from where the surf was rolling up. They were clearly committed to creating a special event for us--and they certainly pulled it off, with white table cloths, candlelight and all. They also prepared a wonderful dinner for us on Valentines Day. We were simply amazed that a small resort like this could offer such a full menu--and then deliver on every dish. Everything we ordered, from seared tuna, to watermelon smoothies, to bloody marys, was as good as you can get anywyere. As a note, the coffee they serve is Costa Rican. It was so good, we bought 4 lbs to take home.
While we carefully read many of the Trip Advisor reviews prior to booking the Bahia, we are hard pressed to identify with any of the negative comments people have left--although there are not that many. One person mentioned that the pool was not as clean as it could be. Well, this place is very lush--with lots of large trees and plants all around. Even though we observed the pool being cleaned several times a day--you could always find a few small floating husks or seeds. It certainly never detracted from our enjoyment of the pool--or the swim-up bar. A few people also mentioned the presence of flies in the restaurant. Well... you have to simply understand, the seating area of the restaurant is located outside, under a huge thached roof. Although there was an occasional winged pest, it was never an issue--and the benefit of warm sea breezes blowing though the restaurant, far outweighed any inconvenience. Additionally, our room was always perfectly clean, and everything we needed was provided. For instance, we asked the front desk if it might be possible to get a microwave to make popcorn at night--and an hour or two later, a brand new one was left on the counter in our room. They even bothered to plug it in.
All in all, we would highly recommend this place. It was exactly the relaxing type of spot my wife and I were looking for. So...if YOU are looking for a small, intimate resort, where every staff member sincerely goes the extra mile to make sure you're happy--but yet is large enough to provide all the important services, you'll be happy here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bahia del Sol is located in Potrero Beach, a beautiful beach of warm tranquil waters on the Pacific Coast of Guanacaste. The Hotel offers the guests the quality of a 4 Star Beach Hotel with all the comforts, including Pool, Jacuzzi, and a Spa, framed in an impressive setting that includes tropical artistic gardens with centennial trees, a Tropical Garden with Native & Exotic plants , and an extensive beach front. The location is perfect for soaking in breathtaking views of the tranquil Potrero Bay, romantic long walks on the golden sands, basking in the rich sun and watching the spectacular sunsets of the Pacific Coast. With miles of uncrowded beaches, stunning coves and undiscovered inlets, Costa Rica's natural environment speaks to your soul. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Agoda, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Del Sol Beach Front Hotel And Suites
- Bahia Del Sol Beach Front Hotel Playa Potrero
- Bahia Del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel Costa Rica/Playa Potrero