“Best honeymoon and secret getaway spot!”

Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Potrero
GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle, Washington
“Best honeymoon and secret getaway spot!”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon to Bahia Del Sol and we are already thinking of our return trip! We had no idea what to expect as we'd never been to Costa Rica and only had visited the hotels web site. Immediately upon arrival we were delighted with our room and with the amazingly friendly and accommodating staff. We arrived on a Monday, so it was a little slower in the hotel, which was fine with us as we'd just finished up a crazy wedding weekend and wanted to just relax. Our room was only 5 steps to the pool (yet still very quiet at night - no issues with sleeping) and maybe 20 steps to the warm waters of Portrero Bay. Looking down the beach, we never saw more than 5 or 6 other people which was just what we wanted. The food was amazing and who can beat a swim up bar?! Next time, we would probably rent a car, as there weren't a lot of other nearby dining options or shopping, but the staff was amazing at finding us reliable taxis and shuttles for all our excursions. A bonus is that the flowers, trees, and general landscaping of the hotel are simply beautiful. All the rooms are tucked away so that you feel that you are really the only guests at the hotel. Thank you Alicia, Roy, Hector and all the other amazing staff members who helped make our honeymoon so amazing!

Room Tip: The suites are a little farther from the pool/beach/dining area. All the hotel "rooms" are...
2 Thank Bridget P
Vichug, Public Relations Manager at Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Bridget, is good to know that you had a great time with as, and also that you like the property concept and service.
We hope to see you again for your first anniversary.
Best Regards From all Staff at Bahia Del Sol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This place was great. And just to start off, every couple is great and I think it depends on what you want as a couple. This place was perfect for us. We did come here in the off season and so there weren't a lot of people at the hotel at night but also there wasn't much nightlife in this town except for wednesday nights which we missed. On wednesday nights down the street there is a bar that has ladies night and from what we hear it goes off. Anyways, this place is right on the beach and we definitely took advantage of that. We also were at the pool as often as possible. Their staff is amazing and it makes a huge difference. Our favorite staff member was Francisco. Everyone was really nice and remembered our names. Shout outs to Hector, Maik, Alicia, Orlando, a skinny dude with glasses, and a couple of the girls that worked the front desk. All were great and very friendly. They were really helpful with scheduling excursions and getting our transportation ready. There were no problems.
This place has free breakfast in the mornings and all of it was delicious. The last day we were there I had the french toast and that was my favorite. I really want to start making their gallo pinto for breakfast because there I ate it every morning. The best way I can describe it is it's like a spanish rice with red beans....yummy!
Also, definitely try their mango mint drink at the bar.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ronnie, thank you for choosing our property for part of you honeymoon, also we want to thank you for the great comments about our staff.
Quakertown, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Our daughter's wedding took place at Bahia del Sol during 4th of July week. After one face-to-face meeting in January and then subsequent emails - the resort wedding coordinator, Roxana, came through with everything we had envisioned and more. We had requested flowers and table decorations that reflected the feel of Costa Rica. The tropical bouquets along with the ox-cart and coffee bag centerpieces were amazing. The transition from the beach ceremony to lawn reception was seamless. Our guests raved about the food and the staff members were friendly and accommodating. The sunset was the perfect photo backdrop. The preliminary picture proofs from the photographer are magazine worthy. We can’t thank Bahia del Sol and Roxana enough for making our daughter’s dream wedding a reality.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Connie, we want to thank you once again that your family chooses our property for this important event, also we appreciate your positive comments about our wedding coordinator, she’s great and we’ll be sure to let her know your feedback.
Dunedin, Florida
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This hotel is just beautiful. The staff was beyond helpful with all our needs. Really went out of their way to help with every single thing. The food is delicious, the rooms are clean and lovely. The whole place was really wonderful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dtxman
Vichug, Public Relations Manager at Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear Dtxman, we appreciate your positive comments especially about our staff, for us they are the most important part of the hotel.
New Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My family and I travel alot and usually in a new location, I book two hotels in a close area. One a small out the way sort of place, the other usually a larger, better known brand. I spent four days at Bahia Del Sol and then 3 at the Westin. This trip was a solo trip for me. Unusual and absolutely fantastic.
My goal was to surf most days, which I did (Point Break surf school-run by a wonderful American couple) sit and read by a body of water, enjoy great healthy food, and to learn a bit of Spanish -of which I knew maybe three words> yes, no, thankyou. And I can count to three.

The Bahia Del Sol was beautiful, friendly, serene, with clean, colorful, spacious rooms. Breakfast is huge; they'll make anything a New England B&B could make (and its included in the more than reasonable room rate). The coffee really is the best in the world. I grabbed fruit for later, popped it in my room fridge and used it to make fresh smoothies in the kitchen's blender. Yes, you get a full kitchen.

The beach was quiet and full of the scenery you want from a lush dense tropical climate.

Surf school pros recommended this hotel as that is where their families stay when they come to visit. After my day of surfing- a quick 20 minute ride to larger heavier waves, I'd come back to rest around the pool, talk about my day with Orlando, (the most charming and welcoming bartender/concierge/information center ever) sip a fresh drink and gab with the other guests about how this was their favorite spot in Costa Rica.

I stayed near the hotel for dinner, again traveling alone I wanted to feel safe, especially at night Just common sense. But other guests on this site have mentioned great dining places within a short distance from the Bahia Del Sol. Dinner was wonderful, presented elegantly and if you like seafood, you'll be thrilled.

I then went to the Westin for three days. I had to wait over and an hour for check in because they were busy. Then I had to wait for a van to pick me up and drive me to my little apt in a villa, actually the place and the rooms are huge. I already was missing my new friends and tranquility at the Bahia Del Sol.

No, the Bahia Del Sol doesn't have huge marble bathrooms or tennis courts or several restaurants ( all very mediocre I have to say). i found the same charm in the staff at the larger hotel but as the place was soo big i never saw any one staff person more than once.

Next time I visit this magical country, I will be staying at the Bahia Del Sol. Only.

Greetings and cheers to Orlando, Leo, Roy, Alecia, Christina who greeted me by name every time they saw me. It felt like a had a new family. Warmth and professionalism, privacy and lots to do within one location is hard to find in one spot. You'll find it here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank AndreaLM63
Dear Andrea, thank you very much for this great review, and you can be sure I’ll let Orlando, Leo, Roy, Alicia, Christina your comments about them.
Also is good to know that you enjoy your stay with us
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 9, 2012

It's only been a few days since my wife and I have left, and we can't get Bahia del Sol out of our hearts. The property offers an ideal, away-from-crowds location, charming amenities, and the best food in the area - but really, their number one asset has to be the fantastic staff that bring incredible amounts of pride and love to their jobs every single day. How they manage to balance such a level of customer service while being honest, cordial and friendly to all guests is beyond my comprehension. What I do know is that they made our honeymoon a treasure, and we gained a home far away from home! Come for the swim-up bar, the long-stretching beach with safe swimming all the time, the real, quaint Costa Rican village, the perfect sunsets - stay for the friends you'll make for LIFE! You may never want to leave; in fact, we wish we were there right now! Huge shout-outs to Orlando, Alicia, Leo, Hector, Maik, Andres, Amandina, and EVERYONE at Bahia del Sol! We hope to see you soon!!!

Room Tip: The suites seem worlds away, as they are separated by everything else by a we--tended Jungle Arboret...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Waskotons
, Public Relations Manager at Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Waskotons, thank you for choosing our property for you honeymoon, and especially we want to thank you for the great comments about our staff, you don’t know how mucho this means for them, us they are really proud of what they do, we’ll be sure to share this with them.
Houston
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I just returned yesterday from a four night stay at the Bahia del Sol (7/4-7/8). We are already planning to return with our two boys and we plan to stay at Bahia del Sol when we do.

With the internet, one should rarely arrive at a destination and not know what to expect, as it appears was the case with Megs1907 below. We knew before we arrived that this was a quiet, quaint hotel on a quiet beach. That's what we wanted as we were looking to primarily relax. If you want hustle, bustle, adjacent shops, clubs and nightlife near your hotel, stay in Tamarindo but be warned, it is a raucous surf town (water is rough) known for its appeal to the younger partying single set, not couples or families.

TRANSPORTATION: The hotel will arrange transportation from Liberia Airport or you can take a taxi. We took a taxi to the hotel and used the hotel's arranged transportation back to the airport in a late model wonderful air conditioned van driven by Alex. We met several couples who rented a car, which is what we may do the next time. The roads are fairly smooth and easily navigable except in Potrero where the roads are gravel and get a bit bumpy.

LOCATION: The hotel is in Potrero between Playa Penca and the small town of Brasilito (some small shops and restaurants). The hotel is nestled in a rain forest-like setting with tall trees and lush tropical flowering plants. We saw beautiful birds and several lizzars just hanging out. Some hotels say they are on the beach but they are not right on the beach like Bahia del Sol. We walked to Flaming Beach Resort and saw that a road runs between that hotel and the beach so you see parked cars and road traffic in between the hotel and beach. We rode horses past the Westin Conchal Reserva and it also has a road between the hotel and the beach. Bahia del Sol's property runs right to the sand with lush green landscaping, palm trees, and crisp blue lounge chairs that face the beach.

BEACH: Costa Rica has white, dark and salt and pepper sand beaches because of the volcanos in the country. The dark sand is not mud. It is very fine and is actually quite beautifully irridescent. Portrero is not a white sand beach but the water is very clear and fairly calm. The view from the hotel is spectacular and the sunset is not to be missed. We walked to Playa Penca nearby and that beach was gorgeous with sand a little lighter. It was very secluded.

HOTEL: The service was phenomenal. I fell in love with the delicious welcome drink Mango Mint. Within hours of our being there, the bartenders and service greeted us by our names. Francisco, Leo and others were very accommodating and made sure we were well served. They offered great tips on seeing the area and even gave us going rates for cab trips so we'd know if we were being overcharged. The rooms were very clean and ours had a back patio with a hammock that I enjoyed. The room had a small refrigerator, which is stocked with reasonably priced beer and soft drinks. A small store is around the corner for more options. The suites have full kit The pool has a waterfall off of the jacuzzi and 2 gradually sloped entrances and a swim up bar. Very picturesque.

FOOD: We only at breakfast at hotel and it was very good. Dining is al fresco. The staples on the buffet are fresh fruits and juices, homemade breads and tortillas, sausage, plantains, rice and beans and a variety of cereals. In addition, made to order items included bacon, pancakes, eggs and omelettes. We ate at the Coconut across the street (delicious mussels), the Happy Snapper in Brasilito (outstanding ceviche, fried shrimp and grilled seafood platter), and Las Brisas (huge delicious margaritas and good grilled calamari).

ACTIVITIES: We primarily enjoyed the beach and the pool. The hotel arranged for a 2 hour horseback ride. On the ride we saw howler monkeys and got to gallop and run the horses on Playa Conchal, which was great. The hotel also arranged a snorkel/kayak/sunset catamaran cruise on the Lazy Lizzard, which was perfect. Both were reasonably priced and the hotel arranged all transportation.

We would highly recommend Bahia del Sol!

Room Tip: If available, ask for Room 101, which is the honeymoon suite. It has a front patio with hammock and...
3 Thank LegalmomHouston
Dear Legalmom, just wow!!!, this is a great review, we feel so happy that you had such a good time staying with us, also is good to know that you want to come back with your boys, just to let you know there is a lot of tours and activities for them.
We definitely hope to see you and your family again next time.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Potrero
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 7 in Playa Flamingo
JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Been to Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!