Sugar Beach Hotel(Playa Potrero)(Great Value!)
$119
$116
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Isolina Beach(Playa Potrero)(Great Value!)
$56
  • Pool
Bahia Esmeralda(Playa Potrero)
$50
Numu Cabinas(Playa Potrero)(Great Value!)
$61
Casita Mar y Posa(Playa Potrero)(Great Value!)
$86
$73
Christina's Bar & Grill, Hideaway(Playa Potrero)(Great Value!)
$69
Cabinas Windsong(Playa Potrero)(Great Value!)
$50
Sueno al Mar Residence & Hotel(Playa Potrero)(Great Value!)
$124
Villaggio Flor de Pacifico(Playa Potrero)(Great Value!)
$106
Orbitz.com
  • Spa
All reviewsswim up barcosta ricahappy hourdark sandstandard roomgrounds are beautifultravel agentsmall hotelbreakfast was includedwet barbedroom suitelounge chairsspent nightsthe entire staffnight lifegreat restaurantlow key
Reviewed April 20, 2012

We stayed at Bahia del sol in march on a groupon deal! We felt like we got a great deal! We were upgraded to a two bedroom suite and our room was nice. It wasn't anything over the top but clean and spacious! Other guests commented that they were having difficulties sleeping in their room because of the noise from a bar - we did not have that problem. We thoroughly enjoyed the pool and the swim up bar was a great place to get to know other guests. We were greatly impressed by the bartender Orlando. He took the time to get to know all the guests and we left feeling like we had made a friend! The beach by the hotel is not as nice as some - we were there in red tide - but it was super easy to get to other beaches by walking or taking a cab ( front desk staff was always helpful arranging rides since we didn't have a car) there was a store nearby and several restaurants within walking distance! We loved maxwells just 5 minute walk away! The location worked for us - we felt secluded but close enough to busier towns! I enjoyed our stay here and would not hesitate to recOmmend this place to others!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank JessEE221
Vichug, Public Relations Manager at Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Dear JessEE221, thank you very much for your great review, we really appreciate this, especially because this actually shows the reality of what we are.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

I will make this review straight and to the point-

LOCATION:
The hotel is located at the end of a dirt road. Some people will note this as being desolate, whereas others will note it as tranquil and away from the hustle and bustle. It's your decision. However when the sun goes down, it is dark with the exception of a few street lights dispersed along the road (becoming more dispersed as you travel up the road).

FOOD:
*PRO- the hotel is within walking distance to a little supermarket. There are some decent restaurants nearby (El Castillo, Maxwell's, Coconut Beach, The Shack) that are also within walking distance. At night, however, to get to Maxwell's (which isn't that far away) you may feel more comfortable taking a car.

Now believe me, these are pros because this con is a big one.

*CON- Dirty. The hotel restaurant is plain gross. Breakfast- included in your stay. They have a little buffet set up with flies consuming the food. I asked if I could get more of what was on the buffet table from the kitchen being that flies were all over, and I was told there wasn't anymore left in the kitchen. A bit surprising being that it was only an hour and half into breakfast. So after I mentioned the flies on the food the waitress took dinner napkins and placed them over the open food items. Gross! So now people coming to the restaurant thereafter will think, "Oh the food has been covered, great I'll eat this!" Meanwhile the flies had been walking all over it.

ROOMS
*PRO- You'll be super excited about getting home to sleep in your own bed. You will appreciate it more.

*CON- Filthy. This was the one area I listed as "poor" on the evaluation sheet. The rooms are disgusting. You know how you put a towel down on the floor to step out on when getting out of the shower? Well, upon picking this towel up which inadvertently swept the floor, the towel touching the floor was brown. Yuck! Needless to say if you are still gung ho about staying here, do yourself a favor and bring a pair of cheap flip flops to walk around in, shower in, and (I would recommend) sleep in. Another great point was that there was dust everywhere, on the mirror, lamp... wasn't appealing. I actually slept on top of the covers because I got a glimpse of the mattress and was convinced I could possibly contract something if I snuggled in under the sheets.

STAFF/ WORKERS
*PRO- Reception was the most friendly, accommodating, and helpful. They also spoke the best English.

*CON- Overall the entire rest of the staff does not go out of their way for you or to say hello to you. It is pleasant when staying at a resort to be greeted and acknowledged. Often times when passing a worker within the resort, he or she will just pass by you; kind of like you are walking in a rural Costa Rican street. The resort lacks that "welcome, great to have you" feel. I concluded that the staff employs rather young people. I would categorize them in their late teens to late twenties. Either that or they hire a cohort of people who age extremely well.

POOL
*CON- It turned into a kiddy pool. The waterfall becomes a diving board for the children, and I really didn't understand why no one said anything (including their parents) to the kids. For their own safety- the pool was shallow. Granted this aspect can change given the population of people that stay and the agility of the children.

BEACH
-This did not play into the rating of the hotel, but here are some pointers: bring bug spray as it gets buggy whether you are on the beach or on the lawn sunbathing.

I must note, I brought the complaint up about the uncleanliness of the restaurant. I asked to speak directly with the manager, and I was told she would not be in until 10 or 10:30AM. At that point it was 8:30AM. I relayed to the reception that I would wait rather than state my concern and complaint to them. To my surprise the manager showed up while I was laying out in the sun about 10 minutes thereafter. She was very happy I relayed the information to her and told me she would alert/ speak with the wait staff. I didn't understand how the reception didn't know the manager was there. Odd- doesn't seem like great communication on their end to be almost 2 hours off of when your boss arrives.

Overall, I would opt to stay elsewhere. I think more effort and concern needs to be put into this resort. The potential could be there.

Room Tip: Get a room in another hotel!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank salexi72

Dear Salexi72, we are sorry to hear this, but we have to refute most of these comments, us you can see most of the reviews said that we are an excellent resort, and to explain some of the things you said:
LOCATION:
the dirt road is part of the CostaRican experience, and the road is in good conditions you can get to the hotel even in a small car, and us a small boutique hotel we are located in a exclusive area, if you would like to have a lot of lighting you should look for a city hotel.
FOOD:
what you said about the breakfast and the bugs is totally out of place, us you are in the tropics, us us you now bugs are normal, and I have been even in a Four Season hotel and even there you’ll find bugs, if you check the rest of the reviews you’ll find that people love the food un our restaurant
ROOMS
About the beds, I don’t get your point us we have hotel regular mattresses
Also you said something about the towels, also we don’t get this us we laundry all of them daily. And just in case we put (complementary) sleepers in all the rooms just in case guest need them.

STAFF/ WORKERS
we are not going to accept a bad comment about the staff, special because us you can see in the rest of the review, one of the fact that people always mention is about the service they received from all of our staff.
POOL
if kind of unfair that you complain about the kids, especially because we are a family friendly hotel
BEACH
about the bugs you mention, once again you are in the tropics
Thank you for your feedback, we’ll considered some of them
Respectfully,
Bahia Del Sol Staff

Reviewed April 5, 2012

No wonder this place gets good reviews. There is something in the atmosphere of this hotel that helps you feel good. It is quiet, well maintained and service is great. We did not notice anything that was wrong, though it may depend on your expectations. However, you need to be well informed before coming to here and to Costa Rica in general.

CLIENTELE: Quiet. Mostly senior couples and some families with children. They prefer to spend most of the time outside of the hotel. Not a spot for young people on a spring break, looking for new mates or for active life within the hotel limits. Many residents were from Europe.

ROADS: It is true - roads are bad in Costa Rica and you would need to be ready for a couple of bumpy miles of dirt road before you get to the destination. And this is if you know how to get there or if you use a hire. If you plan on traveling on you own and may travel outside the airport-hotel route, renting an SUV is a good idea. Do not forget a GPS with a Costa Rican map. You can get the latter from your car rental for about $10 a day. IMPORTANT: when you set up your GPS, make sure you indicate Belen as your via point. Otherwise GPS may send you via Road 911 or otherwise known as Monkey Trail that would lead you through 7 miles of a real safari ride - may not be type of experience you would like when you are tired from a flight and it is dark or rains. Road to Monteverde are somewhat similar, but we did not find any way to avoid about 12 miles of ready bad road.

HOTEL: beach front, but none of the living quarters are facing the ocean. Territory is partly what looks like a tropical forest/garden, part is a lawn with a swimming pool. Nice open air restaurant has a view of the ocean. One swimming pool with a swim in bar and a whirlpool mounted above the pool. Hotel is well guarded at night, at the front gate and from the beach side. However, we saw police officers interviewing residents one time after their possessions were stolen. Rooms are spacious, ours had something that looks like a kitchen with a refrigerator and a sink, but it lacks other attributes of a kitchen, like stove, microwave and dining wares. You get few glasses, a bottle opener, a coffee maker and a couple of coffee cups. The beachfront lawn has several palapas, but you need to reserve them in the morning with towels (provided) or seat further from the ocean. Personnel is very friendly and eager to help not only with your needs at the hotel, but with any services outside. Sometimes music from the nearby bar may keep you awake late at night.

BEACH: it has dark sand and it is spacious, but most people prefer to stay on the grass. We were very unlucky to stay when red tide was there, so only few people could be seen swimming in the ocean. Water was very murky and snorkeling was a total disappointment, even after we rented a boat and went out a couple of miles in the Playa del Coco bay to the islands.

FOOD: hotel has its own restaurant that serves very decent food and drinks. Most dishes are around $15. You can have a continental breakfast buffet and order eggs or an omelet, but selections do not change from day to day and after some time you may get tired of choices. Alternatives are a few restaurants across the street, a club that has good live music on Sundays and Castello - a cheaper outdoor place that is more of a bar kind of setting. The good thing about Castello is that they will cook for you any time they are open, even when the kitchen appears to be closed and they serve only drinks. A block down the street is a small convenience store where you can buy groceries and alcohol. Wine in Costa Rica is mostly from South America and we found it too acidic to our taste - may be because they (in general) do not know how to store wine. Local beer, Imperial, loses to other brands as well.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms further away from the bar to get better sleep at night
4  Thank VadimFromArkansas
Vichug, Public Relations Manager at Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

Dear Vadim, we think you review, is a little bit unfair, because you are pointing things that are not correct, for example:
About the Clientele, yes we are a family hotel, and you don’t find any information in our website that promise for example nightlife.
Roads: first of all the road to the hotel is totally paved, basically the only dirty part are the last 1,5miles, if you follow the directions we have at the website you won’t get lost.
Hotel: if you check our website you see that we said we are beach front which you saw is true, but we never said that we offer ocean view, then the hotel have 24 hours private guards. Then the room you had never said that have kitchen, if you would like a kitchen we have rooms that do have it.
Food: our restaurant offer the possibility to prepare special meals if guest requested and the place to you recommend is not exactly the nicest one

Reviewed April 5, 2012

Traveling with teenagers. We had a suite for a great price and loved the vibe, even though there weren't a lot of other kids that age. Pool with swim-up bar was great and the beach was gentle with brown sand and lovely views. We loved the breakfast bar.
Location was a bit far away - about a half hour from the nearest gas station. We got lost ALLLLL over Costa Rica - get a GPS with your rental car or go on trips with the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Dear SueNord, the location is why people love about our property, because they can rest, is good to know that you like it. Also we appreciate the title of your review.

Reviewed April 3, 2012

This hotel is a great place to relax and have fun too! A little oasis with plenty of beach to rest on. This hotel includes a beautiful outdoor shower and jacuzzi along with a large indoor shower/bathroom as well. Hammocks are also include outside of every room. Bahia del Sol also has wild life such as iguanas, wild birds, and much more. The rooms were very quaint with vaulted ceilings and comfortable beds. The hotel includes a nice pool with a swim up bar, hot tub, and baby pool. This hotel includes a nice restaurant and a delicious breakfast buffet. Comfortable loungers with pads and huts are scattered about the property. There are also many fun activities around the area and is in walking distance of many restaurants and other attractions. Whether you're hanging at the hotel, or around town, I highly recommend this hotel for couples and families.

Room Tip: Suites are not much more money though are much larger rooms for families, not that regular rooms aren't good.
1  Thank Natalie Q

Dear Natalie, is good to know that you like the property and we appreciate your great comments.