“Lovely Resort, Heavenly Location, We'd love to go back!”

Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Potrero
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 25, 2007

My Fiancé and I booked two weeks at this wonderful boutique Beach Hotel, which is located on a most romantic spot, facing Playa Flamingo and not too far away from the gorgeous La Penca Beach. We sought a romantic and secluded spot to totally enjoy our time away from the hustle and bustle of the big city.

Bahia del Sol was the ideal location for our purposes. As soon as we arrived, after a long day of travel, we were greeted by a great Front Desk crew who upgraded us to a Suite at no extra cost, followed by "welcome drink". From that point on, our stay got better and better. Hector, Wilberth, Jennifer, Rosse and Mikol were there for us and their service was above par.

The Suite was amazing, spacious and very colorful. A fully equipped kitchen was a great thing to have as well. We thoroughly enjoyed the breakfasts, which were included with the room rate.

Best of all, the sunsets off Potrero Beach, where Bahia del Sol is located, were absolutely breathtaking. If this is not a place for Honeymooners, I don't know what is!!! We actually took off for a couple of days and stayed at El Diria, in Tamarindo, and I tell ya', we couldn't wait to get back to our "home" Bahia del Sol, where the shower is huge and the supply of hot water abundant.

The price was also a super deal. For having booked a two-week stay, we got three nights free! I hope the Management of Bahia del Sol continues in offering this perk to its guests.

Lastly, we have to say that Bahia del Sol was a great place to stay at. We would recommend it to the romantics at heart, who seek to really be away on holiday.

And hey, if you crave the night life, just a two-minute walk from the Bahia del Sol, Il Castillo is a great hang out for those who seek nightly excitement. Dimitri, the Manager, not only does he sing mean Sinatra, he hosts live entertainment, and serves to-die-for Chicken Nachos!!!

We can't wait to go back :-)

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PuraVida35

Reviewed November 26, 2007

Beware of booking thru website without actually seeing the place. Rooms are very out dated, plumbing doesnt drain in shower, no hot water, bad locks on door, no security, its OK if you are there with the guys but I brought my Girl Friend from LA and she was not happy with the conditions. like I said, great website but old and outdated in real life. save yourself the hassel and go a few minutes to Playa Tamarindo, the Best western has a few condos in the hills and on the beach for about the same price and all have nice amenities. These &^%$#^& told me that they had internet access for my laptop via wi fi. just so happened that it didnt work the week I was there.. I decided to cut my stay to 2 nights and they were to credit my amex for 2 nights as I paid for 4...no credit yet... dishonest...buyer beware.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank peteramc
Reviewed November 17, 2007

This was our first trip to Costa Rica. Our experience turned out to be exceptional! Upon arrival we rented a SUV and drove to the Bahia Del Sol hotel. What an experience! The road leading to this lovely hotel is made of dirt so your first impression is what have we done. The hotel staff greeted us with complimentary drinks upon check-in and escorted us to our room. We were so close to the ocean we could hear the waves crashing from inside the room. A few steps away was a georgous pool with a swim up bar. The food at the hotel was excellent and the drinks exceptionally good. The complimentary breakfast was excellent and very filling with eggs, banana pancakes, rice, and fresh fruit - just a few of he selections. I can not express enough gratitude to the staff and people of Costa Rica everyone went out of their way to make us feel welcome.
If you are looking to take some tours ask the hotel to hook you up with Yohan. He will take excellent care of you.

Recommendations - a rental car is necessary the drive from Libera airport to the hotel is about an hour and a half. You will need to drive to get to resturants other than the hotel. The closest town is Tamerindo.

We spent 9 nights in Costa Rica. I highly recommend it to those who are looking for romance, adventure, and relaxation.

Recomended tours: Arienal volcano & spa, river boat, horseback riding, and zip lines.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2007

After driving down a dirt road in darkness for 20 minutes, we had no idea what to expect. What a wonderful surprise! At our arrival, we were greeted by most of the hotel staff, who introduced themselves and brought us cocktails. The small hotel was so quiet, we felt we had the place to ourselves. Rooms very comfortable, pool, restaurant and bar all excellent. The lovely stretch of beach expanse was just steps from the pool. And again, we shared with virtually no one. The chef prepared a very tasty meal of fish caught on a fishing trip and each staff member went out of their way to make our stay outstanding! Some great restaurants nearby as well.
Mandy Vieregg, Waco, Texas

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2007

My wife and I just returned from our Honeymoon in Costa Rica, and I have to say, our stay at Bahia Del Sol was absolutely the best hotel experience either of us has ever had. I was a little concerned due to a couple so-so reviews in the previous months, but apparently the hotel just got a new manager (Marvin), who had just started when we got there in July, and it was clear he really wanted to turn this into a top-notch resort. He went out of his way to make sure that my wife and I were taken care of every step of the way.

We signed up through our travel agent for the Reflection Of Sea romance package which is offered directly on Bahia Del Sol's website at www.potrerobay.com. I signed up at the last minute for this package, so the travelagency never sent the request to the hotel. Right at check-in when Marvin found out that I wanted this package that the hotel was never informed about, he went out of his way to ensure that I got a version of this package that should have been 10 times the price. First he gave me a whole bunch of free drink tickets to go sit by the pool while they decorated the room with all sorts of romantic decorations, antipasti, salad, win, flowers, etc. They included every dinner, in which we ordered WHATEVER we wanted, and were not charged for anything, ever. Finally, since the package says "1 Romantic Dinner" Marvin asked me if I wanted a private table set up right on the beach, which was beautiful. We were given our own personal waiter, lobster bisque, a mixed dish of seafood and filet mignon, chocolate cake, coffee, wine.....it was all incredible. The food at the restaurant hotel was perfect. All of it was great. When it came time to leave, he offered to have someone drive us the 45 minutes to Liberia airport, but we had rented a car already.

In addition to the incredible personal service, and the great manager. This hotel is in such a beautiful, isolated location. The hotel is far away from all the chaos at the other side of the bay in Play Flamingo, and the beach around Bahia Del Sol is deserted. The hotel sits right up on the beach, the sunsets are gorgeous, and the best part is since its such a small hotel, the vast majority of the time you really feel like you have the entire hotel/pool/beach to yourself.

This was just an amazing amazing place, and the best hotel experience of my life.

THANK YOU BAHIA DEL SOL!!!!

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank zcg15
Reviewed August 13, 2007

We absolutely loved Bahia Del Sol and can't wait to go back! The grounds were gorgeous, the staff extremely accommodating and friendly, and the food the best we had in Costa Rica. We were treated like royalty from the time we arrived until the moment we left. Upon arrival, we were greeted with delicious cocktails (our choice of virgin or with Costa Rican liquor) and wet towels perfumed with hints of honeysuckle to wipe our faces with. When we wanted to go for an evening walk on the beach, the staff thoughtfully offered a flashlight, umbrella and bug spray (for the infamous Costa Rican "sand mites"). When we wanted to have an outdoor massage (which they normally do not offer), they accommodated us with a beautifully decorated and peaceful outdoor setup, secluded in the garden but still within earshot of the peaceful beach. When they discovered that another couple was celebrating their honeymoon, the staff prepared a private romantic dinner for them overlooking the beach with candles, rose petals, and a complimentary bottle of champagne.

Our room was modern, clean and beautifully decorated. It had ample closet space, a smart sitting area, cable TV (which offered almost 20 English channels), and an a/c which we could control. The bathroom was stunning--it had huge shower with all the hot water you could ever use and a modern glass sink with all the complimentary amenities. Bahia del Sol was also very safe--a security guard kept 24 hour watch on the grounds and we had a new safe in our room for valuables.

The beach itself, while indeed a "black sand" beach, was gorgeous and deserted. We felt like we had it all to ourselves. The hotel provides lounge chairs and the staff brings drinks to you on the beach. We had a great time exploring the shoreline and observing the crabs and flying fish, which are common. Bahia also offers a "beach tour", which we unfortunately did not have time to do, but it sounded like a lot of fun. For $30, the hotel drives you to 3 nearby beaches (Flamingo, Conchal and Sugar) for an hour at each beach. The hotel also "packs" snacks and drinks for the beach tour--a nice touch. I would say that "nice touches" abound at Bahia, truly setting it apart from the rest.

Finally, the food. We ate at the outdoor Bahia restaurant for almost every meal, and loved it! My boyfriend is a self-proclaimed "foodie" and he was in heaven the entire time. We never had a bad meal. Fresh Lobster as well as traditional "tico" dishes are served. And the wait staff are friendly and eager to fulfill your every request.

All in all, this was an amazing resort--if you want beautiful, secluded accommodations, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank redlands11
Reviewed August 12, 2007

We stayed here for 8 nights. We loved it. We had the cheapest and smallest of all the rooms, $65 night!! The room was huge. Very, very clean. We had a small private patio off the back of the room and a sitting area inside as well. Our room could have been an a joining room to the suite next to us. All the rooms have cable TV, refridgerators and safes.

It is a small hotel, about 30 rooms, but they have lots to offer. They are right on the beach. We never felt like it was crowded. We could always get lounge chairs and get some space. There is a big pavillion to hang out at when it is pouring rain or at night. We often hung out here and played cards or visited with others. There are also some smaller structures to hang out at if you want more privacy.

They have a computer room with 2 computers with free internet access.

The grounds are beautiful and kept up very nice. The staff is VERY nice and helpful. They went above and beyond in my opinion. Any request we had they took care of. We felt like we received very personalize attention. A couple of examples- I was stung by a jellyfish. Without even asking, one of the waiters made a special compress to take away the sting. While sunbathing, we wanted to plug in our ipod speakers, again without asking a staff member showed up with an extention cord. At the end of our stay, the driver I had booked never showed up. My husband was about to miss his flight home and I needed someone to take me to Jaco, a 5 hour drive. With in 5 minutes the front desk found a safe, reliable, honest, english speaking, private driver that had a 4 wheel drive (we had to take the monkey trail in order for my husband to make his flight) who was willing to not only take my husband to the airport, but me all the way to Jaco.

Because of other reviews saying Bahia Del Sol is in a remote area, I thought we would be in the middle of no where. Not true.

There are lots of food options. The restaurant at the hotel is very good, prices a little high. The view of the ocean and marina is amazing from the restaurant area. There is a restaurant across the street (The Castle, O.K. food. priced a little high) opened for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is a great beach bar, Las Brisas, very cheap and best food in the area, you can walk to it- lots of fun. There is also a fun restaurant-bar that does live music on Sat and Tues, Monte Carlo, also right across the street from Bahia Del Sol. There are many small grocery-convience stores withing walking distance. There is a restaurant about 10-15 minute drive, Golden Shrimp. The restaurant will send a free taxi for you. This was our best meal and very well priced. It isn't cheap like a soda, but a huge Tuna dinner, enough for 2 people, was $8, beer was under $1. The restaurant is right on the beach in Brasalitto. Tables are actually in the sand. You can walk easily into Flamingo and there are some restaurants there as well.

The front desk will easily get you taxis if you need one. We really enjoyed walking everywhere to see the area. We walked to Sugar beach along the coast, beautiful walk, just bring some good shoes because some times you will be walking on lava rock. The walk to Flamingo and Potrero on the road is very interesting, but takes much longer than walking on the beach. Both worth doing.

The beach is quiet and kept very , clean and is safe. It is a bay, so there are no real big waves. Bahia Del Sol is the only hotel on the beach, so it is very quiet. We could leave our stuff on the beach while we swam and there was no problems. We could also walk the beach at night with no problems. Most other tourist beaches you can not do these things safely.

We will definetly be back to this hotel. Next time we will bring our kids. I think we were the only people there with out kids. For the price, you get alot. Most places in this price range do not offer so much. The front desk is open 24 hours-big plus. We were able to make free calls anywhere in Costa Rica as well. Can't wait to go back

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Hotel Tamarindo Diria
#11 of 24 in Tamarindo
Jardin del Eden boutique hotel
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Peninsula Papagayo
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Penin...
#1 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
4 mi away
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort

Been to Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!