Sugar Beach Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Catalinas Beach Suites(Playa Flamingo)
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Bahia Esmeralda(Playa Potrero)
Hotel Mediterraneus(Playa Potrero)
  • Breakfast included
  • Spa
View Hotel
Paradise Flamingo Beach(Playa Flamingo)
View Hotel
Flamingo Marina Resort(Playa Flamingo)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Guanacaste Lodge(Playa Flamingo)
View Hotel
All reviewshowler monkeyscosta ricahoneymoon suiteprivate covelas catalinasocean viewthe wait staffthe open air restaurantbody surfingduring low tidedry seasonsmall fridgehermit crabslovely groundsget away from it alltide poolshidden gem
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 20, 2006

If you love nature at your door, ultimate seclusion, good food, the company of your travel companion, sunset's to die for (EVERY night!), quiet beach, perfect water temperature, the most deliscious Pina Coladas, and do you know what a Limon-Mandarina is? well, perfect Margaritas, ok, I could go on forever...
The most beautiful beach, quiet, great food, great staff.
As long as you realize that the roads are truly not to be believed (and I thought I had been on some bad roads and knew all about it) and that you will not be town hopping at night. Like Monkeys? Iguana's? Birds?
We just didn't want to leave, ever. We are already planning our return.

• Stayed: January 2006
7  Thank SBN_NJ
Reviewed March 6, 2006

We stayed at this small hotel in the Guanacaste area of Costa Rica for a week in February, 2006. Overall, the accommodations were quite nice and the restaurant outstanding and reasonably priced. The setting is magnificent - our room and the restaurant had wonderful views of the Pacific ocean and we were just a short walk from the beach. The staff was helpful and professional, and one small problem was repaired immediately. There is satellite cable tv, modern air conditioning units, and the beds were large and very comfortable. A few negatives: as with many beaches in that area of Costa Rica, the road to the hotel is terrible. Most guests tend to eat there because there don't appear to be any other restaurants in the area which compare to the hotel's and which would be worth the drive. However, we were able to take tours arranged by the hotel during the day and they were quite enjoyable. The pool is beautiful but quite small - not sufficient area for more than about 10 people to lounge. And the water pressure is minimal, although there was plenty of hot water. But after driving around to some of the other larger resorts in the area, it appeared that this resort has the best location and amenities. We highly recommend it.

10  Thank TravelinDorada
Reviewed March 6, 2006

just returned from my 5th visit to Costa Rica and tried to stay a night at the Sugar Beach. Tried? Well I couldn't get in my front door of my room withthe swarm of daddy long leg spiders, then once inside obviously had been bug sprayed but no one had bothered to sweep up the carcasses. The corners had a thick layer of filth. Asked to have it cleaned while I was a dinner. They DID spray outside.Oops! So that night as I walk to the bathroom there is a tarantula in the bathroom. I spray with off it jumps at me-I squash it. The final straw was the large scorpion between the beds. When it was vanquished we called the desk-no answer. walked up and the manager was leaving - no apology, just if you want to leave could you do it now because I want to go home. Drove through the night to a great hotel in another town over the dirt road that was awful and remember I'm used to Costa Rica!

• Stayed: February 2006
4  Thank ticalinda1960
Reviewed January 10, 2006

We stayed 4 nights at this amazing hotel which gave really good value. Sugar Beach was the perfect place to end a 13 night trip to Costa Rica.

The room (ocean view room) was excellent, giving privacy and cleaned well daily. There were iguanas on the roof and around, but they are peaceful co-habitants.

The food was both good and plentiful. Service was slow once or twice, but it's a friendly place and if you want razor-sharp service then I recommend you stay at a 'beach resort' elsewhere. SB is a laid back place and we were happy to take in the stunning views while waiting for menus, drinks etc.

The beach is beautiful and the sunsets are gorgeous, esp with an Imperial beer or cocktail in the hand!

Total cost for 4 days and 4 nights was $1,200 for our accomodation (incl tax), all food (although we ate out 2 meals) and a lot of cokes, wine and beers. I thought that represented great value.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who would appreciate a quiet piece of paradise a little off the beaten track, especially if you are finishing up a trip around Costa Rica.

NB I suggest those who like paved roads stay away from Costa Rica altogether; the roads are bumpy and have potholes galore, but we thought that they were a real adventure and would definitely recommend hiring a car.

I also suggest that those seeking a place with resort-style service stay away. Sugar Beach is the real ticket for a relaxing stay in a very beautiful place. Just visit Tamarindo and then you'll be thrilled to get back to the relative haven of Sugar Beach.

• Stayed: January 2006
8  Thank Edward_Hutton
Reviewed December 16, 2005

Spent three nights at Hotel Sugar Beach.When my wife and I arrived we where met with two tropical drinks.Had our ocean view room and everything was perfect.Then I started to here a circular saw at 6:30 pm,that went on to 8:30 pm.The next morning 6:30 am the construction workers started again.I had to go to the front desk and ask to be moved.They did upgrade us to a Master suit inwhich it was perfect.My only complaint is I shouldn't had to asked to be moved.The Food was A+.The service was just as good.Bring bottle water,they charged me nine dollars for three waters.The roads(oh God)be careful.You don't want to travel on it at night(I didn't want to do it in the daytime).My wife and I had a great time and will go back again.Just make sure the constuction work is all finished.

• Stayed: December 2005