“Paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Potrero
New Jersey
“Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2006

If you love nature at your door, ultimate seclusion, good food, the company of your travel companion, sunset's to die for (EVERY night!), quiet beach, perfect water temperature, the most deliscious Pina Coladas, and do you know what a Limon-Mandarina is? well, perfect Margaritas, ok, I could go on forever...
The most beautiful beach, quiet, great food, great staff.
As long as you realize that the roads are truly not to be believed (and I thought I had been on some bad roads and knew all about it) and that you will not be town hopping at night. Like Monkeys? Iguana's? Birds?
We just didn't want to leave, ever. We are already planning our return.

• Stayed January 2006
7 Thank SBN_NJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2006

We stayed at this small hotel in the Guanacaste area of Costa Rica for a week in February, 2006. Overall, the accommodations were quite nice and the restaurant outstanding and reasonably priced. The setting is magnificent - our room and the restaurant had wonderful views of the Pacific ocean and we were just a short walk from the beach. The staff was helpful and professional, and one small problem was repaired immediately. There is satellite cable tv, modern air conditioning units, and the beds were large and very comfortable. A few negatives: as with many beaches in that area of Costa Rica, the road to the hotel is terrible. Most guests tend to eat there because there don't appear to be any other restaurants in the area which compare to the hotel's and which would be worth the drive. However, we were able to take tours arranged by the hotel during the day and they were quite enjoyable. The pool is beautiful but quite small - not sufficient area for more than about 10 people to lounge. And the water pressure is minimal, although there was plenty of hot water. But after driving around to some of the other larger resorts in the area, it appeared that this resort has the best location and amenities. We highly recommend it.

10 Thank TravelinDorada
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2006

just returned from my 5th visit to Costa Rica and tried to stay a night at the Sugar Beach. Tried? Well I couldn't get in my front door of my room withthe swarm of daddy long leg spiders, then once inside obviously had been bug sprayed but no one had bothered to sweep up the carcasses. The corners had a thick layer of filth. Asked to have it cleaned while I was a dinner. They DID spray outside.Oops! So that night as I walk to the bathroom there is a tarantula in the bathroom. I spray with off it jumps at me-I squash it. The final straw was the large scorpion between the beds. When it was vanquished we called the desk-no answer. walked up and the manager was leaving - no apology, just if you want to leave could you do it now because I want to go home. Drove through the night to a great hotel in another town over the dirt road that was awful and remember I'm used to Costa Rica!

• Stayed February 2006
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank ticalinda1960
London, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2006

We stayed 4 nights at this amazing hotel which gave really good value. Sugar Beach was the perfect place to end a 13 night trip to Costa Rica.

The room (ocean view room) was excellent, giving privacy and cleaned well daily. There were iguanas on the roof and around, but they are peaceful co-habitants.

The food was both good and plentiful. Service was slow once or twice, but it's a friendly place and if you want razor-sharp service then I recommend you stay at a 'beach resort' elsewhere. SB is a laid back place and we were happy to take in the stunning views while waiting for menus, drinks etc.

The beach is beautiful and the sunsets are gorgeous, esp with an Imperial beer or cocktail in the hand!

Total cost for 4 days and 4 nights was $1,200 for our accomodation (incl tax), all food (although we ate out 2 meals) and a lot of cokes, wine and beers. I thought that represented great value.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who would appreciate a quiet piece of paradise a little off the beaten track, especially if you are finishing up a trip around Costa Rica.

NB I suggest those who like paved roads stay away from Costa Rica altogether; the roads are bumpy and have potholes galore, but we thought that they were a real adventure and would definitely recommend hiring a car.

I also suggest that those seeking a place with resort-style service stay away. Sugar Beach is the real ticket for a relaxing stay in a very beautiful place. Just visit Tamarindo and then you'll be thrilled to get back to the relative haven of Sugar Beach.

• Stayed January 2006
8 Thank Edward_Hutton
Long Island New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2005

Spent three nights at Hotel Sugar Beach.When my wife and I arrived we where met with two tropical drinks.Had our ocean view room and everything was perfect.Then I started to here a circular saw at 6:30 pm,that went on to 8:30 pm.The next morning 6:30 am the construction workers started again.I had to go to the front desk and ask to be moved.They did upgrade us to a Master suit inwhich it was perfect.My only complaint is I shouldn't had to asked to be moved.The Food was A+.The service was just as good.Bring bottle water,they charged me nine dollars for three waters.The roads(oh God)be careful.You don't want to travel on it at night(I didn't want to do it in the daytime).My wife and I had a great time and will go back again.Just make sure the constuction work is all finished.

• Stayed December 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Keoki
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2005

Fantastic staff, completely secluded, incredible food.

I went with 2 friends looking for a nice, relaxing get-away and found Hotel Sugar Beach to be the place. Albeit off the beaten track and leaving the resort was time-consuming, the resort itself was wonderful. The weather enhanced the entire trip with ideal temperatures and no rain (except a 5 minute brief shower). We went right after Thanksgiving in '04 and the place was pretty much ours for the entire week. We had problems with the reservations but it worked to our advantage, management bumped us to a delux suite right on the beach! 2 bedrooms a kitchen w/ a microwave and full sized fridge. 10 seconds from the back door (yes, 2 entrances) was the beach. The very first day there, we were greeted by a howler-monkey in the banana tree by the room.

the restaurant was nearly empty when we decided to eat which was so peaceful and ideal. The staff was fantastic and attentive and i must say we enjoyed their company. they were very nice and friendly.

although one of my friend got stung by a sting-ray, and we all seemed to have swam in the midst of a cloud of jelly-fish (maybe? i dunno, but we felt like we were stung) we had a fantastic time. the excursions out to the volcano and to the canopy tours were by far exhausting, since the roads are in poor condition and travel is very time-consuming, they really kept us entertained (along with the great tour guides).

i would go back in a heart-beat!

• Stayed November 2004
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 7 in Playa Flamingo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,939 reviews

Been to Sugar Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!