“best local costa rican dishes in the area!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of PlaeMar

PlaeMar
Ranked #18 of 29 Restaurants in Playa Potrero
Cuisines: Costa Rican, South American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Wayzata, Minnesota
“best local costa rican dishes in the area!”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

this was the best, most inexpensive local food we found. and we ate everywhere. my friend had to have their black beans everyday. it was fast and authentic. the menu is in Spanish and English and I recommend you attempt to order in Spanish. it's right there in front of you and the 'auntie type' waitress will make you anyway! even if you hack it, she'll give you a clap. super friendly. it's steps from the water, right on the beach near flamingo. try it! you won't be disappointed.

Visited January 2014

Seattle, Washington
“Tasty food, nice location, friendly staff”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I feel a little bad giving this place a 3 because we did enjoy the experience so much but there were a couple of complaints. However, I'll share the good parts first.

We stayed in Playa Flamingo and the location makes for a nice stroll. After we grabbed a table we were promptly greeted in Spanish and the waitress could tell by our blank stares we weren't sure what she said. It would be the beginning of a dinner's worth of Spanish lessons that amused and challenged us. She continued to speak to us in Spanish, translate, then teach us what our responses would be in Spanish and wouldn't let us get away with any English responses. It was fun to jog our foggy Spanish memories to try to beat her to the punch, though it didn't happen very often.

Our food came fairly quickly and most everyone enjoyed what they ordered. We started with both the fish and shrimp ceviches and they were equally good. I was a little nervous to not have a price on the whole red snapper I ordered but feel the $12 it ended up being was probably appropriate. It was not the best I've had though. And I was disappointed that it came with fries. I don't want fries when I'm traveling outside of the states. I ordered black beans on the side and those were pretty tasty, they reminded me a bit of baked beans. Most everyone else in our 6 person group really enjoyed their meals which were variations of mahi mahi & shrimp. The chicken & steak skewers were just so-so.

As we were leaving a man who I assumed to be the owner stopped to chat and was extremely friendly and talked to us for awhile.

Now for some of the more disappointing moments, twice someone ordered something and changed their mind before our waitress left the table, letting her know of the change. Twice we got both things that we did not want to end up ordering. That was probably about $20 added to the bill. I mentioned it before, but I don't want fries when I'm in Costa Rica. Has this been the norm for a long time?

All in all, I do recommend visiting but be clear about what you do and don't want to order and stick to the seafood.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Amy P
Kelowna
“Great, cheap, local food!”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I really enjoy PlaeMar! I'm vegetarian so can't speak about the seafood (although I hear it's delicious) but I do enjoy their vegetarian casado! The beachside atmosphere is great too and I love that it's family owned and operated - they all make you feel super welcome! I am traveling alone and have been here a few times and they always take me under their wing, chat with me and make me feel like part of the family. Very sweet. : )

• Visited December 2013
London, Canada
“Great visit and great staff!”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Visited last Feb. Excellent food, great presentation with very nice beach view. Close to Flamingo.
Truly nice staff willing to help with my Spanish!!

• Visited December 2012
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Authentic- Best Restaurant at Playa Flamingo”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We liked it so much, we went 3 times. Amazing Cosado- beautiful view, friendly staff, great margaritas. and CHEAP!

It was so refreshing to find this place when the rest of Playa Flamingo is built up into fancy restaurant tourist traps.

The Cosado con Pescado is the best! Get it :)

• Visited February 2013