“A really great stay at a fantastic place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paquera
Bahia Rica Fishing and Kayak Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Paquera B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I visited Bahía Rica together with two friends during 12 days in November 2013. Our hope was having a relaxing holiday combined with exciting fishing for tropical species. We had booked 8 days of fishing + 4 days of relaxing at the lodge and the nearby area. The lodge is nicely located by itself out in the jungle/forest by the sea, a bit away from traffic or other kinds of noise. Most of the sounds we heard were made by jungle animals, f.inst. monkeys and birds. The lobby/common area is close to the sea, whereas our bungalows are located on top of a hill, about 256 steps to climb from the common area, which is good exercise.
The bungalows are really nice and clean, so is the bathroom/shower area. The bungalows have several hammocks (+ a library) which are great for relaxing. A real "jungle setting":)

The hosts Thomas and Vigdis are really friendly and nice people. They gave excellent service throughout our whole stay. In a way it feels like you are staying with a little family. We had all meals included during our stay and the food was absolutely fantastic. Everything was home-made, always with fresh vegetables and fruit. They adjusted without any problem to our food allergies or if there was something that some of us didn't eat. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert, all were delicious. I already miss the food at Bahía Rica..

We had 8 days of fishing with Thomas as our guide, and a young guy, Jo Fredrik, was his assistant. They both did their best to ensure we would succeed with the fishing. We had some really nice days on the water, but a few days we were unlucky with the weather. Bad weather forced us to return from our offshore fishing both times we were out there, which was a disappointment. However there's not much to do about that. Despite variable weather and a bit slow fishing during our stay, we had some nice catches. Some of them are: 18 kg Roosterfish, 14 kg Jack Crevalle (and many more of good size), two 10 kg dorados (Mahi Mahi), Sierra Mackerel, Needlefish (a great fun fighter on light gear), Barracuda and many other species. We also lost a big shark while fishing for Roosterfish.

On our days off we enjoyed long mornings at the lodge and in the hammocks, reading books or sunbathing. One day we went to Curú, a wildlife refuge not too far away. We walked on the forest paths there and saw many tropical animals including lizards, parrots, birds, monkeys, spiders, bats, armadillos and many more. An interesting day.
Another day we wanted to go kayaking from the lodge. The hosts prepared kayaks for each of us and we had a nice day on the water exploring the nearby area. The kayaks are of good quality and easy to use. On our last day off Vigdis took us on a boat ride to the beautiful Isla Tortuga. We enjoyed our day at the beach there and also went snorkeling. As always we had a delicious lunch before returning to the lodge.

I would like to thank Thomas and Vigdis for giving us such good experiences at Bahía Rica. We had a relaxing and fun holiday away from snowy and stormy Norway. The only bad thing was we had to return to the Arctic and couldn't stay any longer.

I have already recommended Bahía Rica to several of my friends, and some of them will travel to Bahía Rica during 2014.

As they say, Pura Vida! :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Icedros, Owner at Bahia Rica Fishing and Kayak Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Thank so so much for your review!
I'm happy you enjoyed your stay, the fishing and the food - good that the new recipes of desserts I tested out were a success ;o)
It's such a shame that the offshore weather was so bad both of our trips with you.
It was great having you here, and we are looking forward to following your blog and seeing more big halibut catches in Tromso!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

An unike experience. Here you live in an treehouse in the wild. The rooms/ beads are exelent. Thomas and Vigdis are the best host and now what they are doing. Ouers stay for 7 days was to shourt. So we comming bak in 2 years :-)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Icedros, Owner at Bahia Rica Fishing and Kayak Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Great that you enjoyed your stay with us - and the fishing! We sure had some good moments!
Thanks for the review!

Reviewed November 7, 2013

To stay here is a unike experience. Your lodging is in a treehouse, where the monkeys are sitting outside staring at you. You can take a bath with a view of the wildlife, and the rooms are superclean.

Vigdis and Thomas are the best hosts you can imagine. They made delicious food every day and offered a lot of different activities. I didnt really think I liked fishing, but I joined for a day of fishing and I was hooked!! I wanted to go fishing every day after that. Thomas really knows what he's doing, where to go and how to protect the wildlife. We went kayaking with Vigdis for a couple of days, it was great to go kayaking in the mangroves.

We stayed here for 16 days and we had a really great time. I will for sure come back here, and I will recommend everyone else to do the same!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Icedros, Owner at Bahia Rica Fishing and Kayak Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Thank you so much for your review!
We are delighted that you love our place just as much as we do!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I loved it here! Beautiful! Monkey's ate right in the trees by our room. The bay view was gorgeous. The hosts were super nice and made wonderful meals. They provide awesome tours. It was my most favorite stay of my Costa Rica trip. Thank you Vidgis & Thomas!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Neotrips
Icedros, Owner at Bahia Rica Fishing and Kayak Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Thank you for your review!
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Bahia Rica!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My son and I made a last minute decision to visit Bahia Rica Adventures after some other plans fell through, and are we ever glad we did! The bioluminescent algae during the evening kayak tour was incredible and even though we weren't there in the peak fishing season, Thomas put us on to some amazing fishing. He and Vigdis are world-class hosts, and we would love to be repeat guests.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TheRealSam

Thank you for your review!
The bio-luminescence is a truly memorable experience. We are glad you joined us for an evening kayak tour so that you got to experience it!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

This lodge location is perfect for the start, end or any part of a trip. Thomas and viki are great hosts, fun to hang with and learn about life in this part of Costa Rica, good cooks and very flexible to our needs. The accomodation is clean, comfortable and almost has a tree house feel meaning it is open to the world and so beware of bugs and take spray (and use it!!) but if you do this then it is an amazing experience to wake to the Howler monkeys in the trees outside and step on to the balcony of your very own "tree house" and look at the islands, the jungle and sun rise.

The only down side is that it is difficult to find at night and so be sure to call Thomas before you leave the ferry port and they will give directions.

Overall great value and fun place

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for taking time to write a review!
And you are very right: it is a bit hard to find us so we recommend everybody to contact us for detailed explanation on how to find the place - even in day light.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had won a gift certificate for 2 for a free 3 day kayaking trip to Bahia Rica Kayaking and Fishing Lodge. Considering the age of my husband and myself I thought it might be a little bit too strenuous for us to manage. I got in touch with Thomas and asked if we could change it to a fishing trip instead; if not we would have to give the trip away to someone younger and more fit. Thomas was so accommodating and had no problem in changing the trip to suit our needs.

We invited another couple to go with us and we stayed February 12th and 13th of 2013. It really impressed me how clean the lodge (where we stayed) was. I felt totally comfortable there. It was hotter than what we are used too but I slept great!

The guys went on their fishing trip and only had praise for Thomas and his skills. They had a great time; so much so that my husband is planning a trip back there. He told me it was the best fishing trip he has been on since living here in Costa Rica. Vigdis cooked the fish for us that evening and it was delicious. (All the meals we had there were fantastic!)

This is definitely a 'must do' trip if you like fishing and/or kayaking. Thomas and Vigdis are the perfect hosts and it certainly shows that they love what their doing.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Myrna V

Thank you for writing this review. We really appreciate it!

We are glad it worked out for you with a fishing trip instead for the kayaking tour that you had won. We hope to see you back here again!