“New hotel just open in march 2014”
Review of U Zenmaya Phuket

U Zenmaya Phuket
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Kamala
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Nice hotel, just open in 2014 (February I think).
On Kalim Beach, between Kamala and Patpong beach, location not very convenient.

Good Points:
- nice view
- comfortable room
- wonderful pool
- restaurant acceptable (a bit expensive)y
- staff friendly, rooms cleaned
- Propose free of charge wifi (and small library rooms) and some bikes (but watch out, roads are not easy to ride!)

Points to be reviewed:
- 2 shuttle only for Patong (and one way only). 1 per hour, with return will be more convenient.
- hotels already open but not finished (fitness room not open in end of May) or bad realized (door of shower is too short, so water flood everywhere in the bathroom)
- no beach (or rather a very small one, with access not easy, and many rocks)

Conclusion: what is this hotel ? A resort for Family - no / An hotel for Business ? Definitely not. Maybe a small boutique hotel, small additional services available (2 meetings rooms, up to 70 persons, maybe good for small weddings)

Compare to U Sensuri in Nai Harn, no doubt, choose Nai Harn. I know that U Hotels plan to open a new hotel in Kata Beach, just fingers crossed to have a real beach this time (or an easy access)

Room Tip: Choose a sea view rooms !!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank jbd01

Reviewed June 2, 2014

My son and I stayed at this hotel for three nights. We had an amazing view looking over the sea so peaceful with an amazing jacuzzi on our balcony to relax in at the end of the day. The rooms are nice and very spacious . An amazing infinity pool and a little private beach. The hotel is very clean. The staff were amazing very helpful we were always greeted with a smile. Ommie looked after us so well even swapped her shift on our last day so she could be there to say good bye that was so touching. You also get two free drinks when you check in from the mini bar. Breakfast was amazing. Also a free shuttle to town twice a day.

Room Tip: Ocean view room.. Just so peacefully and amazing views
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Debbie S
Reviewed May 25, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed over at u zenmaya over the weekend. The room was magnificent and spacious. The spa bath at the balcony overlooking the sea was a view worth a million. We also has a spacious bathroom. The hospitality of yeh staff is worth a mention. The guests have the option to choose the pillow type, soap type. We also enjoyed 50% discount on all beverages during happy hour and 20% on food. The breakfast was sumptuous with a wide range to choose from. The restaurants and the bars had a beautiful view of the blue sea. The most eye catching part of the resort was its infinity pool. It was the very place where we spent our daytime.
Located next to the highway, it is very convenient to fetch ourselves a tuk tuk to go downtown to patong with a decent bargain of 300bhat max.
On the rooms of improvement the balcony must have a chair or two to sit and enjoy the oceanic view. At present the balconies are equipped with just the bath bath and a small tool .
Overall u zenmaya is a resort worth a visit and value for money.

Room Tip: Choose a room with spa bath over looking the andaman sea
Reviewed May 21, 2014

good
-new
-staff is friendly
bad
-a bit too far from center which cost a lot for taxi
-noisy traffic you can hear from the pool, and you room even if you are on the oceanview you can hear traffic
-small hotel
-food is not consistent sometime good sometime bad
-breakfast is not up to luxury hotel standard but coffee is nice
-they forgot our request on honeymoon room set up
-Private beach is not swimable and there is a small bar that sometime play super loud dance music all night!

Room Tip: if you look for a quite place to stay in Phuket try to look on a map many hotel is by the beach but...
4  Thank JSothorn
GM U Zenmaya P, General Manager at U Zenmaya Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Dear JSothorn

Greetings from U Zenmaya Phuket.

May I begin by thanking you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay with us on Trip Advisor. As part of the U chain of hotels and resorts your satisfaction is paramount to our group and we consider your opinion to be invaluable in allowing us to ensure our guests have the best possible stay.

As we are very responsive to feedback received by our guests I would like to take this opportunity to both sincerely apologise for the aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations and address the issues you raised.
I am delighted to inform you that we have introduced a completely new breakfast set-up and are in the process of enhancing it with further options. We have also taken on a new Dutch Executive Chef with Michelin Star restaurant experience who has created a new and exciting menu for all the hotel outlets.

I deeply regret the lack of a honeymoon set-up in your room. I fully admit that this was a complete oversight on the part of my staff and I have introduced measures to ensure such a situation does not occur again. I genuinely hope that our complimentary upgrade from a Superior to Deluxe Sea View Room went some way to make amends for our error.
I am sorry that the noise from the traffic disturbed you as we have not received any other comments of this nature and judging by the reviews posted on Trip Advisor our guests seem quite complimentary on the peaceful atmosphere we provide when compared to the hustle and bustle of Patong. Regarding the outside bar playing music; once again we have not received any complaints regarding this but if it becomes an issue in the future then I will look into taking appropriate action to ensure our guests are undisturbed.
I fully empathise with your disappointment regarding certain elements of your time with us but hope that my reply reassures you that as General Manager of a U hotel I am proactive in responding to our guests’ valued feedback.

Both I and my team hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again when you can witness firsthand the adjustments we have made.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

The hotel is making a good effort but it's not successful yet. They're trying to provide good service. When checking in, you choose which type of soap you'd like and tea and coffee (nice drip coffee in the room) options. When we got to our room, we hadn't received what we chose. Kindly, they offered any two free welcome drinks from the mini fridge. Considering the price, there was surprisingly no welcome fruit or turn down service. They offer a mediocre buffet breakfast: cold cuts were poor quality, croissants were the only baked good, other nice breads however, but I had to ask three times to get butter, and the jam selection was sad. The yogurt is really nicely presented but it was watery and not good. I wanted just a "tall" coffee but they didn't understand/know how to make one of those with an espresso machine. They could only give me a short espresso. Instead of the buffet, you can have breakfast in your room, love this service, however, it was pretty bad. My husband's order was missing bacon and I received a completely different menu item. The bread basket was four croissants, and six slices of white bread, with no butter. The breakfast options sound great on then menu but were lack lustre, no fruit even and we didn't receive the cream we ordered for our coffees.

We stayed in a pool access room and requested the most private one, which we did receive. However the room needed some upkeep and the jets in our pool didn't work.

As part of a promotion we were offered two hours daily per person of spa treatments, but when we checked in I couldn't choose the time, it was chosen for me (same problem everyday), and there wasn't always time for the both of us.

The gym is barely a gym, shouldn't be advertised as such.

The view is amazing, the linens and towels are very nice, great comfy bed. The Jacuzzi tub is a great one, better than most.

Room Tip: the most northern pool access rooms have a private pool shared among three rooms. the other p.a. po...
2  Thank 72Beetle
GM U Zenmaya P, General Manager at U Zenmaya Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2014

Dear 72Beetle

Greetings from U Zenmaya Phuket.

May I begin by thanking you for taking the time to share your experience of U Zenmaya on Trip Advisor. I appreciate all feedback as in my position of General Manager it is ultimately my responsibility to ensure that our guests have as pleasant a stay as possible and attend to any issues they may experience so that the U group’s reputation for exemplary levels of comfort, facilities and service are upheld.

Despite the positive aspects of your stay you mentioned there were a number of matters you experienced which caused you to award us an average score. I would like to offer my deepest apologies regarding these and assure you that your comments will be acted upon.

As a U hotel prides itself on guest satisfaction rather than post a generic “one size fits all” reply to comments I would like to take this opportunity to address the points you raised to show you that your opinion is invaluable and truly appreciated.

I fully admit that the mistake with your soap selection and lack of welcome fruit was an oversight on our part which has been addressed by my Head of Housekeeping.

Our turndown service is available upon request and our records show that after mentioning that you had not received this service we did so for your second night. I have instructed my staff to ensure our guests are made aware that this is available and I am sorry for the inconvenience.
Your comments regarding the breakfast and jam have been well received and I am delighted to inform you that we have already introduced a new breakfast set-up and completely changed the jam selection by using our one of our sister hotel’s suppliers.

I regret that my staff did not understand your request for a “tall” coffee and they have been re-trained by their manager in the various beverage options our guests may require.
Furthermore the issues you experienced with your room service order have also been addressed with the department concerned.

We have been awaiting the delivery of our full fitness equipment set-up which I am pleased to inform you has arrived and is in the process of being installed.

My engineers have rectified the issue with you Jacuzzi and given your room a full maintenance inspection. Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention.

If I may politely clarify for the Trip Advisor readership one point you raised concerning that you “could not choose the time” of your spa treatment and that it was “chosen for you’. Regretfully this is slightly misleading as it seems to indicate that guests are not allowed to select their own spa time as part of the package and we fix the period you can receive your treatment. In fact our guests are free to select any time of their choosing but unfortunately a therapist was not available at the time you requested due to the spa being fully booked therefore you were offered an alternative period, as is the case in every hotel spa. I am extremely sorry that your initial period was not available.

May I end by saying that despite your experience I hope my reply reassures you that at U Zenmaya the satisfaction of our guests is our sole intention. I hope that should you ever return to Phuket you would choose to visit us again where you can witness firsthand the results of your invaluable comments.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

This hotel is very peaceful. the room is very big with a Jacuzzi, nice design, and very well thought of in many details such as various scents of herbal soap. It also has a little private beach, great for sunbathing, and next to the beach club. Overall it is very private. the view is also great!

Room Tip: I would recommend you to stay with the sea view room. It is relaxing!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 9, 2014

The location is ok if you want to be close to Patong beach, and not right at the centre of it all. It's only 5 mins by tuktuk or taxi.
The best thing for this hotel is that it has the flexi 24 hours stay, so if you check in at 6pm you can check out next day at 6pm. This is the reason I booked the hotel and it did not disappoint us. The staff is all new and there were few hiccups, however the staff were quite accommodating once we have enquirer about any changes. The communication with the hotel before our arrival was good. The food was pretty good, breakfast was quite nice.
I would stay again if I needed 24 hours check in.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor rooms, otherwise you are either on the street or can't really use the jacuz...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bosh M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach
#2 of 9 in Karon Beach
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 329 in Patong

Been to U Zenmaya Phuket? Share your experiences!