“Fantastic location - loved the hotel!!!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kamala Dreams

Kamala Dreams
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Kamala
Perth Australia
“Fantastic location - loved the hotel!!!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2008

My husband and 10 year old daughter booked to stay at this hotel for 14 nights. (Our 2nd trip to Phuket). We have travelled extensively over many years and prefer smaller friendly accommodation instead of 5 star. We made the reservation direct with the hotel via email. The owner always responded to our email requests quickly and efficiently. Upon meeting him on arrival he was very friendly and couldn't have done more to make our stay an enjoyable one. The hotel location is fantastic - away from the hustle and bustle of busy Patong. (approx AUD10.00 tuk tuk fare one way or approx 1hr 15 min walk if you are fit and want to take advantage of the pretty scenery to Patong). The hotel is situated directly on beautiful Kamala Beach which is very clean for swimming and offers all water sport facilities. The beach offers lots of cheap eats where you can sit at a table under an umbrella, feet in sand, enjoying the view, cold drinks and delicious food!!! The 2 storey property has approx 18 spacious rooms with small kitchenettes (excellent for families) located around a lovely pool area. The rooms were exceptionally clean and well maintained by the cleaning staff. The view from most room types was spectacular......Breakfast was tasty with a choice of eggs, bacon, toast, pancakes fresh fruits, yoghurt etc. Not buffet style but prepared as needed. The restaurant also offered yummy lunch and evening meals, specialising in seafood at very good prices. Overall the hotel and holiday was absolutely wonderful and very relaxing. We would have no hesitation in returning to this small, boutique, well priced little gem!!!

• Liked — Clean, well maintaind spacious rooms, well located with beauitiful views at a good price!!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Vegemites

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Zurich
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2008

I've planned to stay for one week at this hotel, which looked very good on the web. prices are reasonable.

but then it startet with an ok room at a not so good location in the back corner of the hotel. too much noise from the swimmingpool (some local kids playing there all day, starting at 08am). then there are the jet-ski guys making a hell of a noise, bringing in their equipment. jet-skis all day.

then at about 6pm, there is a thai-bar next doors which plays loud music until 2am. no sleep until then. this is a big problem.

the location and the standard of the hotel would be perfect, but the noise is too much.

i've left the hotel after 3 days and moved to another place at nai-thong beach.

kamala dreams, sorry, but not again.

• Liked — close to the beach
  • Disliked — the noise from the bar next doors
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
7 Thank Swizzler72
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2008

Very clean good position polite staff and at a very good price.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Phuket
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2007

Let me start off by saying that I rarely if ever complain, but after this experience I had to and told the owner that I would be doing so as soon as I returned home.

I chose Kamala Dreams after reading about it on TripAdvisor. The pictures looked nice and the description on their website of every room having a Sea view.

I booked for 1 week, paying for half online then half when I arrived.

I booked my room in July requesting a room with a nice view as I wanted a nice romantic spot for my Honeymoon.

When we arrived we were taken to a room in the corner on the first floor, I believe it was #207. As we went towards the stairs up I noticed a horrid smell of a septic tank. We arrived to our room and it looked nice but that smell was still in there and strong.

I looked out our balcony window and noticed no Sea or Pool view and only an exhaust vent from the kitchen and a set of stairs and a wall. As I went out, the exhaust fired up with this loud thundering sound just in time for breakfast I guess. The balcony was also a third of the size of the others.

I asked the owner if there was another room available as this was just not as promised and advertised on his website and he said he was fully booked.

Later that day, I politely asked if there was another room available tomorrow I would really appreciate it if he could move us. He said he would consider it and I thanked him.

We checked out the rest of the property and noticed there wasn’t any beach really out back but a dirty brown river that nobody went near. The real beach and most of the nice places and restaurants (cheaper too) were to the right of our hotel.

I felt ripped off and lied to and upset that I had ruined my honeymoon for my new wife.

The first night was one of the worst sleeps in my life and I’ve slept in every class of room available.

The smell of excrement got even worse to the point of us feeling sick.

The next morning we got up early to get out of there and go for breakfast. We noticed people leaving the hotel so we felt good about our chances of moving.

We ordered breakfast, I had eggs that when brought to me had long strands of hair on it and it wasn’t just 1 hair it was a lot.

The staff was nice but come on, that much hair is hard not to see.

Anyway, we waited for the owner to show up in the office but he didn’t start work until approx 1430. The other problem with that is that he has your safety deposit box locked up in there because none of the rooms have a safe.

So, he shows up finally and I ask again nicely about switching rooms and how the smell was really not healthy. He responded with he’s full and proceeded to check in other guests that day and not just 1 room.

After that I had to ask him how I could get that room after requesting a room not like that in July. He had no answer. I told him his guests’ health and safety was at risk. He didn’t care. I said that we would be looking for another place to stay as we hadn’t paid for our second half of our weeks stay. He said that would be best.

So we looked all over and found so many better choices for the same or lower price that were on the beach and not an e-coli infused river front property. We found an amazing place (not hard to find) and told them we were going to try to get out after 2 or 3 nights.

Now I had to try to get out of the hotel.

We went back to the owner and told him we found a place to stay and were wondering if we could leave after 2 nights and then we could work something out. We suggested maybe a couple dinners at the hotel. He said no.

I then asked him if he could refund us the half day and we’ll suffer in the septic tank room and he’ll ruin part of our honeymoon for 3 nights.

He said no way. I mentioned to him that he would get another guest easily since he quoted that he’s always fully booked.

He wouldn’t budge.

That is what I call very poor business and customer service. I mentioned to him that I was going to write this review and he didn’t care. He said he could write a good review under a different name.

OK, so this is a warning to you all that those nice pictures that you see aren’t that at all unless you get one of 2 or 3 rooms.

No beach, not a cheap as you might think, rude owner and that septic smell that effects at least 4 rooms on that end and the crime scene right out back where they found a massage parlour burnt down and CSI was there looking for god knows what.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Customer Service
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
24 Thank KamalaDreams
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2007

Pretty central in Kamala, only a divider away from the beach, this hotel is clean and roomy with nice amenities (towels for the beach, mini fridge, kitchenette, pool, breakfast).

Pluses: room with balcony, AC, TV, kitchenette, breakfast (including fresh fruit), location, price, internet cafe across the street that can also book day trips for you (diving, snorkeling, ATVs, etc.).

Minuses: I booked transport from the airport to the hotel but no one was there to meet us and I had to call and find out I needed to find my own way there (luckily cabs were plentiful at the airport and cheaper as well), really hard beds, slight difficulty with communication

Things about Kamala:
- it's less commercialized than some of the other places (Patong) and so there isn't as much to do there, esp. at night time. Weekends might be a little more happening (we were there Mon-Thurs).
-the tuk tuks there are the open backed vans and they aren't as apt to bargain with you about the prices. The songthews are the big buses. Taxis are somewhat hard to find, but they have a taxi stand pretty close to the hotel.
- I think on Wednesday afternoons they have a market with fruit, food, and clothes that is right along the main road that goes to Patong.

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank ltsao01
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2007

Great hotel. Rooms are extremely clean, very spacious and confortable. They are basic enough in decor but immaculate. We stayed on the first floor and had a balcony that looked out onto the pool and sea. All rooms have airconditioning. Staff are really friendly. We had a week booked and had to check out early to move on and it was absoluetly no problem. I would definitely recommend if you are looking for good value and a reliable place to stay.

Stayed September 2007
8 Thank GBR07
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2007

Absolutely fantastic if you are looking for a place away from the hustle of Patong (which we were). Staff were very helpful and restaurant is great and location superb. Great little village and Tuk Tuk drivers reasonably honest. Charoen will go out of his way to make your meal a good one especially if you like BBQ seafood. Would definitely go back and recommend to anyone.

• Liked — Clean, relaxed, great food and beach.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple