“New hotel but needs improvements to be truly Novotel standards”

Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Kamala
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for our holiday in phuket. Was deciding between a hotel in patong ( rowdy but close to everything ) or this hotel ( quiet and inaccessible ), but decided to take this new hotel which has opening promotion.

Check in - We arrived from an early morning flight and room was not ready. So we dropped our bags and walked around the hotel. The welcome drinks and cold towels were a refreshing touch.

We were told to put separate deposits for room and expenses for our stay and can either use cash or credit card to authorize the deposits. We used credit card to authorise the deposits in case we need the cash. Nevetheless believe there was some communication issue and it turned out later that the room payment was in fact effected instead of just an authorisation. This was discovered at checkout when we wanted to use our excess cash to pay for our room and expenses. A small issue but i was quite surprised that hotel actually charged us straight for room at check in instead of at the end of our stay like other hotels.

Room - We were upgraded to an ocean view superior room. We liked the modern design and of course the view of the beach and waters. It comes with a balcony with chairs and coffee table which was nice for a drink while watching the sunset.

Lots of tv channels and bathroom was spacious with separate toilet.

Improvements: Finishings in room were not done very well as one can see some paint remnants on the balcony railings and plastering for some wall fittings were done up in a messy manner. Tissue box holder in bathroom also seemed not working and staff had to place box on the washbasin top. Also would expect some slippers to be placed in room but could not be found.

Location - Hotel is located at the quiet end of kamala beach. It's quite a walk along the beach to the main area where the restaurants and shops are. But it suits one if you want to be away from the crowds.

Taxi charges are about 200 thb to kamala town, 500 thb to patong and 800 thb to patong. Expensive by local standards when we only paid 650 thb from airport to hotel including 100 thb airport levy. Not the hotel fault though but hotel could provide some sort of shuttle service in view of its remote location.

Facilities - Loved the pool which allows one to relax or laze around at the deck chairs but also noticed the hazard in the steps in the pool which are not so visible due to the black colour design. Jacuzzi in one of the small pools was also not working.

Staff - Friendly and always eager to help.

Other suggestion - Foul smell in lift and along room corridors and swimming pool toilets probably due humidity from rain water. Should try to circulate the air or clean up the water.

Overall a great stay and value for money with the current opening special.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank eatshopeatshop
Novotel Kamala ... P, Manager at Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear eatshopeatshop

Thank you for writing into Trip Adviser following your recent stay with us. I really enjoyed reading your comments regarding your check in, a welcome drink and fresh cold towels are a nice touch after a long journey!

It’s very pleasing to hear the Ocean View Superior Room was great and you took advantage of your balcony over sunset with drinks. Our staff will also be very happy to hear that you found them friendly and eager to help, we strive to give a level of service that aims to please to all of our guests. We are sorry to hear about the detailing in the room and we have passed this onto our engineering department. Unfortunately the taxi prices are much the same over the island and the stand outside the hotel is independently run, however we are about to start our daily shuttle runs to Patong for guests, to make things a little easier.

Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to having you stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

My Wife, daughter and I had decided to stay at the Novotel with my in-laws as we was looking to relax and enjoy some time off.
Considering that the hotel was Newley opened, I thought this was just great and location to the beach was just as good as expected. Luckily we had the Suites as rooms and must admit, it was Fantastic and spacious in every way. We was given a pool villa as a complementary upgrade, but didn't find to be that private even though we had a pool on the roof top.

My only concern is - One of the Bar staff at the poolside was helping himself to Alcohol while on duty and hiding it in the sink, I know this as we caught him helping himself a few times. SORRY BUT THATS STEALING !

But still enjoyed our stay fir the 3 days we was there

Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank BillyStevenson
Novotel Kamala ... P, Manager at Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear BillyStevenson

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us.
It truly is fantastic to hear the positive comments about our Suite room and how you found the location to the beach as good as you expected.

On another note, we would like to thank you for bringing up your concern with one of our Bar staff. We definitely do not condone this kind of behavior and we are looking into this matter.
Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to having you stay with us again!

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Like to thanks the hotel for our early check in and also complimentary birthday for my husband. Service from all staff were excellent. Most of the plus points had been mention by pervious reviewer which we totally agreed. Except slight improvement I like to mention that the hotel need to fix the walk way from pool to beach for the safety for everyone.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SKHO1976

Dear SKHO1976
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write into trip adviser about your recent stay with us.
It is always very pleasing to read such a great review. Your positive comments regarding your stay and the great service our staff provided, they will be thrilled to hear that.
Thank you for your feedback on the beach access, we agree and have been working on a stairway ramp onto the beach for safe and easy access, and we hope to have this installed mid-October.
Once again, thank you for your great feedback and we look forward to having you stay with us again!

Reviewed October 2, 2013

stayed here for 2 nights in an ocean facing room.
hotel is still not open fully.
everything brand new so staff still getting into the hang of things.
breakfast spread & service is good - should not fall below these standards.
room service & housekeeping also good quality & prompt.
did not get to try the pool or spa.
found spa prices to be very high even after a 40% discount promotion going on.
getting around the hotel is confusing so make sure you dont get lost :)

english language levels of the front office staff need improvement for sure.
some standards are expected as this being a novotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 4wdboy

Dear 4wdboy
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us.
It is great to hear such positive comments about our staff’s promptness and their service. Having opened only recently we are striving to bring the level of service to a high standard and we will continue to work towards giving the best.
We are also pleased to hear you took advantage of our in house spa promotion, though we are sorry to hear your thoughts on our prices, we encourage guests to use these promotions to really capture the relaxing beauty of their stay.
Thank you for your comments and we look forward to having you stay with us again!

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed here in the middle of September. The hotel really is located on the beach, which is the best thing about it. You can basically step off the pool deck and onto the beach. The pool was nice with a swim-up bar and view of the Andaman Sea. It was fabulous. The pool size is fine for this time of the year (low season). Not sure what it would be like during the high season. All the staff were very friendly, no complaints there. Unfortunately, the beach had a lot of debris, which I am told is rather normal for this time of the year. It was still a very nice beach and very quiet in comparison to other areas of Phuket. The sand was a little rough though but the water was beautiful.

We had booked oceanview rooms. However we were placed in the B building. It was a bit of a stretch to see the water, as the view was partially blocked by the lobby/restaurant building and the trees. The A building (the one pictured on all the promotional material) probably had a much better view as it was unobstructed. When I asked to be switched to that buiding (we were staying several days), I was told that they were having some plumbing issues and we could not move there. The front desk was apologetic about it but this does not lessen my disappointment. These buidlings are not created equal and honestly should not be charged the same price. The room itself was new, clean, and comfortable. The bathroom was a little small but functional.

The restaurant at the hotel was okay, nothing special. However, I generally prefer local food when I travel. They did have some Thai dishes on the menu but they were not great. And of course they were overpriced for Thailand but that is expected at a hotel. It wasn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things, so if you do not mind $8 pad thai, it was edible. They also had several Western dishes on the menu. My uncle does not eat Thai food so he only ate at the hotel and he thought most of the dishes were okay. He loved the breakfast buffet which mostly offered Western style items. I was a little disappinted that they did not have much local items besides boil rice soup. I did not just flew half way across the world to have bacon, I could get that at home. But that's just me.

For other restaurant options, you could walk along the beach to the busier area of Kamala. It is about a 10-15 minutes walk. There are also some small shops and tour offices. We booked a one day trip to Krabi which was nice. I did not try any of the food places on the beach but there were many you can choose from. If you keep walking away from the beach toward the main road, there were some food carts and local restaurants. Some of the things we got from the carts were chicken rice, roti, soy milk, and ginger tea with tofu. The carts are generally there in the evening. We had some good authentic Isarn food at a place called "Duck Spicy," across from 7-Eleven. I would recommend it if you want to try some authentic Thai food. It is not a fancy place but in Thailand that is usually where you find the best tasting food in my opinion. If you do not feel like walking, it is a 200 bath ride by taxi. There is also a taxi/tuk tuk stand in town that you can take back.

Overall it was a good stay in Kamala. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank CuteMalamute

Dear CuteMalamute
It’s great to see such positive comments regarding our location, the amazing beach access and the fantastic view of the Andaman Sea from our pool, we can’t get enough!
Thank you for your comments regarding the view from you room, on this rare occasion we had some issues with the plumbing in Building A, but I can happily report that this is now fixed and that the rooms are running as normal. We would also like to thank you for bringing the breakfast selection and menu’s to our attention, we have assessed the situation and are implementing new and exciting options for our guests and our sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations on this time.
Once again,Thank you for taking the time to write to us, we look forward to having you stay again.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I chose this hotel because of the location: central enough to explore the island and to enjoy the nightlife of Patong, while still experiencing some peacefulness during the day. It turned out to be an even better choice than hoped for: via the black! pool, you walk directly on the quiet beautiful beach, where you're not (yet?) disturbed by "beach-sellers", something that is very common in the busier parts of the island. After watching the sky change into all kind of colors during the sunset, the magic of the night would start with lots of stars and the peaceful sound of the waves rolling into the beach. The paradise-feeling was differently there!

My room was great: very spacious, a great bed and with all amenities that I could have wanted (there was even an empty fridge to store some things that I brought from town). It had a great ocean view and a balcony.
Breakfast is a must! My work requires me to stay often in hotels, so I've had my fair share of breakfast buffets. However, this hotel really managed to positively surprise me. Beside the more 'standard' things, they added quite a few special (homemade) touches. And they had something I've never seen on a breakfast-buffet: a real honeycomb! Fresh honey with a warm fresh pancake, divine...!
But the best thing was the service & staff in this hotel. They are all super friendly, interested and really take that extra step to make you feel like a queen. Really everybody, from the reception, to the bell-boy, the restaurant-team, the pool boys and the massage ladies have been extremely friendly and helpful. They really think with you and how to make things better for you, and not only, as you see often, in money. I even had one of the pool-boys run after me, because I forgot my free 2nd happy hour cocktail :-).

The hotel is brand-new and surprisingly hip. From the design of the hotel, to the rooms, the outfits of the team, the menu/cocktail list to the music played, everything has clearly been thought of. If you are looking for a standard chain-hotel this might be a bit disappointing, but if you like to be pleasantly surprised, while still enjoying the advantages of a 4* hotel, this is definitely a good choice.

Room Tip: I stayed in the junior suite on the 3rd floor, second block, which has a great ocean-view and a bit...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Novotel Kamala ... P, General Manager at Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Kim V,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review following your stay at the hotel.

It is very satisfying to read such a positive review and encouraging that we are making progress on what we set out to achieve.

We have worked hard to make the breakfast a different experience and will continually try new ietms to give our guests plenty of variety and selection, i agree though the fresh pancakes and honey are a real winner.

Your comments regarding the service and the team are one that i will share with them, it gives them a great boost to hear that the way they interact, and look after you really does get acknowledged by our guests, so thank you.

I hope that we have the pleasure of having you stay again.

Kind regards

Mike Smith

Reviewed September 28, 2013

My partner and I wanted to stay close to the beach and away from the busy Patong so this hotel was the perfect location. Firstly, the staff were awesome, so helpful and very friendly. You cannot fault their excellent service. The pool is lovely and so is the beach.
The hotel is walking distance (5-10 minutes) from lots of beach restaurants, cheap massages places and the main street of Kamala Beach. Patong is 15 minutes away by taxi/scooter. If you go all the way down the beach and turn right at the end of the road you will find some pretty swanky up-market hotels and restaurants if you want to indulge a bit - Cape Sienna.

Downsides. The spa was quite expensive,around 1700+ Baht per massage which was quite high. They do have a promotion on but even with the promotion the price was still quite high compared to other hotels. Still, the quality was good, very professional and the lemongrass tea is joy. There is no transport service to Patong so it can get quite costly using Taxis.

Lastly, the hotel restaurant serves great cocktails and delicious food, both western and local dishes at very reasonable prices.

Will definitely be back here again.

Room Tip: We had an ocean view room on the 4th floor (top floor). Great beach/ocean views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lambchop88

Dear Lambchop 88, thank you for taking the time to write a response to Trip Advisor following your stay with us.

Great to receive such positive comments on the team and their excellent service, it certainly makes all the hard work worthwhile, i will make sure that your comments are passed on to them.

Interesting that you raise the point regarding taxis, i am pleased to say that we will be offering a daily shuttle service into Patong, as soon as we receive the correct licence plates our the vehicles, which i believe will be late October which is great news for our guests.

We look forward to having you stay again when you can enjoy another lovely cocktail.

Kind Regards

Mike Smith

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Chanalai Garden Resort
Chanalai Garden Resort
#12 of 56 in Kata Beach
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Sunprime Kamala Beach
Novotel Phuket Karon Beach Resort & Spa
Swissotel Resort Phuket Kamala Beach
Pullman Phuket Arcadia Naithon Beach

Been to Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach? Share your experiences!