“Mixed feelings”

Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Finland
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I had dinner in this restaurant twice during my visit to Kamala Beach.
Service is like any other restaurant in this area. Also the waiter was not sure what was included in the food and did not ask from the kitchen.
They bring you some bread before main course. If you ask for more, they will charge you for that.
Pasta and pizza are ok. Nothing special, but nothing bad either. Portion is not the biggest, so if you have a big hunger have something small first.
The second time visiting this place two of our group ordered a steak. It was served with smashed potatoes, which was not good. The steak was just average, one of them was quite chewy.
If you fancy some Italian type of food while in Kamala, you can visit this place, but do not expect to get nothing fancy. And the price is little bit too much.

• Visited March 2014

• Finnish first
“Yummy and authentic Italian in Phuket”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Now this time during our vacation in Phuket we found a new gem...super delicious Italian place with real Italian food cooked by an Italian... The owners are a nice Italian couple, he taking care of the kitchen and she taking care of the service... Due to the name of the restaurant I had to try the home made pasta carbonara and it was the second best I have ever had, which is a real compliment :-) ! We actually went there twice because it was so good and also to have a change in between all this yummy thai food....

• Visited January 2014
London, United Kingdom
“You will struggle to find a better restaurant in Phuket. Fact.”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

So, my first ever written review of a restaurant. Well, firstly, my credentials. I have been lucky enough to have lived in Italy and Sardinia for over a year, where I experienced Italian food in it's finest form. In my former career as a broker, I was also out to lunch or dinner several times a week at the finest restaurants in London, many of them Italian. I am now retired, and I go out for dinner several times a week where I currently live in Phuket. I also owned my own restaurant for 4 years. I have been to the best restaurants in the world - El BullI, Nobu, Petrus and many more. My point is - I know what I am talking about when it comes to food.
Quite simply, anyone who gives this restaurant a bad review, is a moron, or has an agenda, or does not know anything about food.
For Phuket, where the standard of food and service is generally terrible, this is an absolute beacon of hope.
Le Carbonara is a great restaurant. For my main course I had the gnocchi with italian sausage and mushrooms - it was absolutely divine. The owner was in the open kitchen cooking away but still was able to come over to us, and check we enjoyed ourselves. We assured him it was delicious. I have been to a lot of restaurants in Phuket, Joe's on the way to Patong was excellent, Black Cats in Bang Tao was very good - Le Carbonara is now a new favourite.
Italian food is simple, it is about great ingredients. As soon as I read the intro to the menu, explaining how the ingredients were sourced, I knew I was in the right place. I enjoyed the best buffalo mozzeralla I have ever tasted - so creamy - wow it was great. I saw the pizza's the people on the table next to me had, and just by looking I could see they were the real deal - thin and crispy with bubbles - I will be going back soon for one.
All in all, especially placed in the context of eating experiences in phuket - Le Carbonara was top drawer. There was a mistake with my gnocchi, my girlfriends lasagna came out, and I didn't get my meal for another two minutes (I saw the situation unveil at the pass), some people would moan at this. No. This is a busy restaurant, full to the brim when i was there. These things happen at restaurants. It was immediately noticed, and I literally saw Francesco fix the problem. My beautiful plate of food came two minutes later with an apology. Accepted. Again, it was delicious. I had a mojito (perfect) a cold plate of mozzarella (perfect) the gnocchi with sausage (perfect) a bottle of house white (600 baht - very nice), a bread basked with oil and vineger (perfect) a tiramusu (good) and my girlfriend had bruschetta (good) and a lasagana (good) plus an expresso (perfect) - 2,400 baht. All in all, I was very happy and will be back soon. I was motivated to write this review after reading a couple of bad ones about this place, which I really felt were unfair. If you like italian food, this is the best place in Phuket for it.

• Visited February 2014
Valentina T, Proprietario at La Carbonara, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Well, what can I say?! Thank you very much for your kindness, my husband and I really appreciate the words you wrote, it really seems you understood our thought about our job and " mission" of our restaurant.
We are looking forward to having you as our guests again,
Best regards,

Valentina
Sydney, Australia
“Great fresh food”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I was surprised at the authenticity of the food given the distance from Italy.
Food lovely and fresh and the handmade pasta (we tried the lasagna and the ravioli) fabulous. Also desserts made on the premises were great (and huge portions). The ravioli portion was not huge but the lasagna was huge. Have to remember that the ravioli would only be a starter in Italy.
Bruschetta good too. The couple next to us had had 2 different pastas and said they were great too. If you feel like a change from Thai, try here. It is down a funny lane and could be tricky to find

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank coolaholigah
New Delhi, India
“Best Italian food in Kamala Beach”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Really, really delicious food. Friendly and quick service. We ate there twice during our short stay because the food was fresh, tasty, and authentic.

Visited December 2013