“Beautiful scenery”

Aquamarine Resort & Villa
Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Kamala
“Beautiful scenery”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

This hotel really have beautiful scenery. The major set back is located deep inside and on top of hill. Not advisable too walk and the hotel do provide a shutter bus. If you like nightlife this is not a hotel for you.

For me this hotel is nice and quite and they need improvement on the lighting in the room. Kind of dark.

Room Tip: If you lazy to walk. Get the room near the lobby and high floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tatt H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Forresters Beach, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

We loved the Aquamarine the first time we stayed, despite the hardness of the futon beds. Although the staff are still helpful, we got the feeling they were hampered by stupid management decisions. For example, they now dispense soap and shampoo from a container on the wall of the bathroom. It is very poor quality, and I couldn't help comparing it to the soap dispensers being used by the homeless men in the toilets at Sydney's St James Station (except our soap is probably better).
It took Aquamarine 24 hours to arrange to fix a lightbulb, and they never sent a bottle opener to the room, despite three requests. Granted, all of this could be the fault of one person at reception.
The cleaning and maintenance staff are terrific and very responsive.
The bar fridge was broken, so we could put no drinks in the door. There are no alcoholic drinks provided with the bar fridge.
On a positive though, the happy hour at the swimming pool is brilliant, with two for one drinks, and very nicely made.
Another problem was the noise caused by hordes of Korean tourists: screaming at the pool at 6 am woke us a few times. (Aquamarine, we were on a holiday, not a boot camp). ASK FOR A ROOM AWAY FROM THE MAIN RECEPTION.
I'd still choose the Aquamarine, despite these minor inconveniences. There are some very private spaces; my girls had sensational facials done in the spa; my wife and I really enjoyed our massages. Most of all the hotel is located in the loveliest spot on Phuket.
Kamala is a wonderful village. To eat, try the shrimp and fish cakes across the road from the resort (at Poomaas). The food above the German Beer Hall is world best standard for Thai, especially compared to the blandness of nearly all the others.
If you want to eat enough salt to give you an instant heart dysfunction, and love artificial flavours and breathing smoke from Russian cigarettes, go to Oiy. (God knows why it is so crowded. We couldn't eat their food at all.)
The tailors in Phuket are very good. I had a great pair of spectacles made at the optometrist (first on the left, coming from Aquamarine). The walk into town is a perfect 1.8 KM.
Only a few days at home, and I already miss the freshest coconuts, sliced mango and papaya from the fruit stall on the Kamala side of the bridge. It is incredibly great value.

Room Tip: Ask for Sea View, well away from the swimming pools.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank John G
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Me and my wife had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. Staff were always friendly and polite, and small issues in the room were fixed immediately. The room had a great view and very clean.
Even though it was a bit isolated from all the happenings of phatong and even kamala beach, we preferred it that way. The hotel had free shuttles to both beaches anyway.
A great place to eat is the Bua restaurant about 1km from the hotel (next to Rock Fish). They had great food and great service with a great view over kamala beach. Also very well priced. Definitely our favourite.
If the craziness of Phatong doesn't appeal to you and want some quietness, then this is not a bad resort choice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

Nicely built place but handled by very rude and cold employees. People in hospitality industry really need to understand well the meaning to warmth. My experience last month became awful when I reached Aquamarine's reception after a long flight. The staff at the front desk behaved in a highly unprofessional manner and gave a real cold welcome and a Warm Face Towel LOL. We as we check in to our rooms which was "Thai Villa" we were told that they are only partial sea view against what was committed but indeed we got the full view of the rubbish dumped on the roof top of hotel. Although the rooms were nice and colourful there was nothing like a Villa. on day 1 we faces a Gigantic attack of red ants on all the eatables that we stocked over the refrigerator and this horror lived with us for rest of the days and we were daily attacked on very place where every we tried to put any eatables.

The welcome fruit basket arrived only on the day of check out after 5 reminders, which obviously could not be relished. service to the room was very slow possibly because of accessibly to the room. Explaining the subject the staff on phone was a tough task! as they couldn't understand English so things like Tea bags took a couple of hours to reach us.

Staying at this hotel do not expect anything other than good rooms and great views and that is what I give them these stars for.

Management really need's to wake up.

Room Tip: Deluxe sea view rooms are best choice for a nice view. Although we took Thai Villa but I think we co...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank shaan p
melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

Ok, where should I start,
First, the room smell musty, but it's ok, I can get over it, but the bathroom wall all over are mouldy, as U can see in the photos. During my trip outside of the hotel I came across a Aussie guy and I mentioned about mouldy wall, he said it is common in Thailand because of the topical weather. I feel very uncomfortable to have shower in a mouldy shower room.
Second, look at the photo of the bathroom basin, is it because of the weather? I informed this issue to the staff, and I was offered another room in the next day, but still the same, some yellowish stuff around the drain area, I don't want to know what it is. Gave up on it.
Third, an insect liked substance in the bath tub in the first bathroom, I did not want to get a close look to find out what it is. Told the staff about this, then they fixed it, which was great.
Fourth, poor maintenance of the balcony, dirty. I did not use the balcony at all.
Fifth, i stayed in seaview deluxe room, only get around 30-40% of the sea view, most of the view is the roof of another building, most of the time i shut the curtain to stop getting disappointed.
I booked for 8 nights, but left after 5 days because i have done most of the things in Phuket and i did not want stay in this hotel. Now in Bangkok, also a 4 star hotel, much better even though it does not have a sea view.
Back to my review, there were positives, staff were friendly and helpful. Swimming pool was beautiful but small, having breakfast beside the pool was very enjoyable.
According to my brochure, this hotel advertise as 4star, but i think it should be 3.
If you want sea view room, avoid room starting from 12 and 13, you will not get a good view.
Bed is like concrete, i had a dream two night ago about having sore back and need to call my boss for sickie, then i suddenly wake up with a very sore back.
They don't provide disposable slippers, only plastic slippers, god know how many people had worn them.
Is my expectation too high? Or it is just standard Thailand hotel room, i don't really know.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms starting from 12 and 13, view is not great.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ms_cat2013
Darwin NT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Lovely location away from the hustle and bustle , if you are looking for a getaway then this place is perfect , Rooms as previously stated are a little tired and require some TLC but are perfectly adequate. Staff are friendly and helpfull and Lunch and Dinner cuisine is superb. The only let dow was breakfast , where selection was minimal and service surprisingly next to non existent, was the one service area where staff were unattentive and no one seemed to be in control providing direction. Off site dining options highly recommende a short 5 minute walk are Pooh Mahs and the White Orchard , fantastic food and cocktails at both venues. Must say that Taxi drivers oon this forum have got a rough deal as all were friendly .200 bhat to Kamala $8 Aus is reasonable considering it cost you $4 Aus just to get in a taxi in OZ. 400 Baht to Patong again reasonable, the trick is to ask the bell boys how much a fare should be a simply negotiate before you get in the cab. They will try it on if you let them which is ony to be expected as they are trying to make living. Also highy recommende is the resort Thai Cooking Class, reasonably priced great experience and a lot of fun an knowledge to be had. All in all a great Resort that in my opinion was only lacking a little TLC and leadership

Room Tip: The Resort is on a steep hill but the views from the seaview rooms are well worth the minimal delay...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jamie N
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

We have stayed in Phuket many times and most time we stayed at Mai Khao Beach. This is first time we were staying in Kamala beach area.

After arriving we rented a car to travel as we find that renting a car is so much convenient to move around and luckily we did rent again as we did not realise that the hotel is so far deep inside. It is a nice place to be fair and also the view from the room was not too bad (stayed in a deluxe sea view room). I will list down my feel :

Pro :

The hotel is situated at a hill top and thus looking at the expanse of the sea view. Very quiet as it is very deep inside a lane.
Room has nice views.

Cons:

Need to rent a car if not, it is really not convenient to move around even with the free shuttle bus.
Room is outdated and maybe they should do some renovation or touch up.
Breakfast : I have eaten better breakfast better than what they are serving. They are pretty slow in replenishing food. Not much choices..
You can't really swim at the beach..need to walk out to another beach near by. Too many stones or corals.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank janeteu