Aquamarine Resort & Villa
Kamala Dreams(Kamala)(Great Value!)
$59
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
The Naka Phuket(Kamala)(Great Value!)
$347
$301
Trip.com
Andara Resort and Villas(Kamala)(Great Value!)
$855
$796
Agoda.com
Ayara Kamala Resort & Spa(Kamala)(Great Value!)
$166
$117
$63
Swissotel.com
Sunprime Kamala Beach(Kamala)(Great Value!)
$117
$98
  • Pool
Sunwing Kamala Beach(Kamala)(Great Value!)
$115
$86
  • Pool
Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach(Kamala)(Great Value!)
$89
$63
U Zenmaya Phuket(Kamala)(Great Value!)
$105
$89
U Zenmaya Phuket
Kamala Beach Estate(Kamala)(Great Value!)
$156
$95
Agoda.com
All reviewskamala beachwhite orchidswim up barsea viewgolf buggythai stylesteep hillfree shuttlepools are greattuk tukbuffet breakfastthe hotel offerslow seasonmain poolinfinity poolpatongbaht
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 19, 2008

The Aquamarine Resort & Villa. Phuket Thailand

Points as below

The evening we arrived the toilet was blocked, this was reported to reception in the morning before we went to breakfast
when we returned from breakfast it was still blocked, a few minutes later there was a knock on the door, a lady with a
plunger said you have a blocked toilet, when she had unblocked the toilet and left she left water that had overflowed from the toilet all over the floor

There was mould all over the shower walls and also some on the floor, there was also a small amount on the walls & floor near the wash basin. I believe that if a cleaner is going in to the room to clean each day then this wouldn’t occur as it would be cleaned off every day

The bedding was dirty

The toilet seat was broken, every time you sat on it, it moved

The timber floor that the bed sat on was full of little holes from white ants, I presume they have had that treated but they could have filled and re varnished the wood

Soap & Shampoo dispenser didn’t work

This resort is in no way any good for people with the following problems

Back problems
Knee problems
Leg problems
Hip problems
Breathing problems

The reason being is there are very steep inclines, also the steps, there are steps every where, this resort is built into a mountain and there is not one lift in the place, it is all steps and slopes, the hotel mentions on the internet that it is not for the elderly, I am not elderly but I do have back problems which cause my problems with my legs and I have arthritis in my knees.

Thailand is a hot humid country but at this resort there is only one place you can get relief from that and that is in your room, although there were two mornings when the power to some parts of your room were not working and that included the air conditioning, every where even the dining room is open therefore no relief from the heat while eating.

Going into town there is a free shuttle twice a day to Patong Beach, morning & early evening, but if you get the one in the morning to Patong and wait at the drop off point for the early evening shuttle to take you back on it’s return to the resort they will not take you even though they are going back to the resort empty, it is only a one way free shuttle to Patong beach, there is only one other way to Patong Beach from the hotel that is by taxi @ 400 BHT approx $13 - $14 Australian Dollars then there are two ways back either by taxi @ another 400 BHT or by Tuk Tuk Where they start @ 400 and depending what you can barter the price down to, but to go to Aquamarine Resort the lowest we could get them to was 320 BHT approx $10 Australian. This gets very expensive.

We found also at the resort that you are better off signing everything to your room as they don’t tend to give out small change, they also don’t give receipts so you need to keep a record of what you have bought and payed out yourself , not getting receipts it makes it very hard to marry up your statement at check out time.

We constantly had to keep reminding them that we had a 10% discount on all food and beverages, this was very hard to get through to some of them as there English wasn’t very good, so we started making sure that we asked the same waiters and waitresses all the time, their service was excellent as they got to know us and what we have and our habits

In the room they supplied a tooth brush, razer, 1 small soap (there was a soap dispenser in the shower that didn’t work too well) I used one tooth brush and my husband tried the razer, and we both used up the soap, the next morning after the room was serviced the glass I had used in the bathroom was still dirty we got a replacement toothbrush and razer but no soap

We got snapped at on a couple of occasions from management because we mentioned a couple of problems

They have all over the place these little steps that blend in very well I don’t know how many people I saw trip up and down these little steps I nearly fell once in the dining room, once in the lobby and once near the pool, at one stage they added a little ramp near one of the steps in the lobby.

Every time I took a shower I was a little worried because the bath that you had to step into was so deep I hung on to the rail on the side wall with both hands but my biggest problem was getting out onto a towel that was sitting on slippery tiles

Also they only give you 1 key to the room, My husband went into town on his own one night and asked for another key but when he got back to the room at 1.45 am the key didn’t work and he had to wake me to open the door

The next day after breakfast when we went back to our room the original key didn’t work, we had to get someone to let us in

They supply you with 500ml of drinking water each per day, they supply you with tea & coffee NO fresh milk only powderd milk YUK so if you wish to make yourself a tea or coffee you have to use 750ml of water to get the water over the element in the jug, yes you could buy more water from the mini bar for 200 BHT I think

And on checking out we were being picked up to be taken back to the airport at 4 pm so we thought we would stay in the cool room until 3 pm we got a phone call from reception saying check out is at 12 noon I couldn’t find any paperwork that said what time check out was, I wasn’t happy about having to sit around a resort from 12 noon to 4pm in the heat

One lady when we were checking out had a small baby 18 months old they had been at the gym and she came to reception very upset the baby had touched a tap or something and badly burnt his hand, they did nothing, she went away and then came back she said she wanted something done as it was blistering and the baby was screaming, she asked if they had a doctor, they said no she asked if they had some burn cream they said no, she said well what do you do when your kitchen staff burn themselves, his reply was take them to the doctor, it is very poor that such a large resort doesn’t have any medical area or staff.

The best part of my stay in the resort was talking to and having a laugh with 6 of the workers there that were very very nice and got to know the little things about us and us about them and their families

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Acomb
Reviewed May 26, 2008

We have just returned from staying at the Aquamarine: Resort amenities were great, staff friendly, clean, great outlook.
The only advise is I would not recommend this resort for anyone
who had a disability or for the elderly as it is set on a cliff top and their is quite a steep climb to reach some of the hotel rooms.
A lot of steps. One of the 3 pools are down a steep incline to reach.
OK for reasonably fit patrons. Otherwise you can request staff to ferry you up and down to resort by golf buggy.
Transport into town and back of free on an hourly basis from 9.00 - 5.00pm. Twice daily free transport into Patong at 11.30am & 5.30pm.
Need to find own transport back from Patong.

Stayed: May 2008
5  Thank AustraliaJackie
Reviewed April 18, 2008

We stayed at the Aquamarine with 10 other friends for 8 days in April, 2008. Though not a 5 star resort by any means, we found the grounds to be clean and relatively new, while the staff was extremely helpful and friendly.

Our room was clean and nicely decorated. The A/C worked well and kept us comforable while in the room. Housekeeping stopped by daily and did a masterful job of keeping our room clean and comfortable. Upon closer inspection I noticed that there was some mold/mildew in the grout between some of the shower tiles, but it was not something that bothered us or effected our stay. I only mention it because it's the kind of thing that might turn off a more discerning traveler. We also had a small issue with ants. My wife was 5 months pregnant at the time and we decided to bring a bevy of snacks that we knew she could eat. Having those snacks in the room proved to attract a small army of ants. Once the food was removed the ants were much less frequent. The TV in the room was rather small and there were only 2 or 3 English speaking stations, but again, we weren't in Thailand to watch television.

The pools were warm (too warm really) and were well maintained. You could find flaws if you looked, but for the most part they were comfortable and clean. The Hotel itself has great views of the ocean and the pool is as good a place as any to enjoy the view.
The swim up bar has happy hour every day from 5:15 to 6:30 PM and again at 10PM. Otherwise, the drinks are not particularly cheap on the resort.

The hotel provides a breakfast buffet with your stay and the food is hot and very tasty. There are eastern and western food options that vary slightly from day to day, but generally stay the same. This is good and bad. It was great that there were choices of things we liked and a large supply of fresh fruit, but it would have been nice to have a little more variety from day to day. With that said, the choices that are offered are of good quality and plentiful.

We tried room service one night and had a couple of pizzas. They were good and delivered quickly. The Blue Sea Cafe (where breakfast is served) was a good lunch option as well. We never ate at Leelawadee as we had not heard especially good things and there were so many other good places to eat.

We did eat at "the shack" and played with "Bobby" the dog. He is such a cute little guy. I wanted to bring him home. At the request of another reviewer I took some photos, but they were with a friends camera, so I'll have to wait to post them. The food at "the shack" was good, but we ate there on an abnormally busy night and had to wait nearly 30 minutes for a table. When we finally were seated the waiter forgot to bring us one of our appetizers and one main course. Though we saw him write the orders down they were never brought to us and we weren't charged for them. Odd. We didn't complain as it had already been a long night waiting for a table and subsequently for our food. Forgetfulness is supposedly a Thai trait, but our service was relativley good for the rest of the trip. One odd thing is that we noticed that they bring out food as it is ready and without rhyme or reason. Sometimes the appetizers would come out first; sometimes not.
We also ate at the White Orchid. Again, the food was excellent and cheap, but the second time we ate there the staff of women seemed to be more interested in a couple of western males that were hitting on them then our group of 3 couples.
Rockfish is another good restaurant near the resort and I'd recommend Baan Rim Pa. It is a widely popular resort just between Patong and the Aquamarine.

There are a lot of good deals to be found in Patong and Kamala. Hour long massages for $9. You will be offered a good deal on a tailored suit or dress at some point and I eventually took the bait. I had a suit tailored for me at the resort and found that the quality is good and the convenience of having the tailor there at the hotel was worth a couple extra bucks. There are better deals to be had in Patong or Kamala, but when you add in the taxi fare back and forth for fittings, it about equals out. I much preferred being within walking distance from the tailors on the resort. I was slightly disappointed that there weren't more shops on site as the tailor was really the only place to buy anything there on the resort. Everything else you'd want is in Patong or Kamala.
Patong has a wide array of shops and deals to be found. Do not pay the price initially offered. You can sometimes get them down below 50% of what they originally requested. Just keep a smile on your face and have fun with it. If they are not meeting your price, walk away. You'll find that they'll either break down or you'll find the same item or similar a little further down the road and you can try again.
Kamala is good for a little shopping as well, but we found it to be the better beach town. Good for a relaxing day at a very nice beach. Plus the vendors come to you so you can shop and enjoy the beach at the same time. The deals are just as good, but you'll have to deal with an occasional vendor stopping by asking if you want what they're selling. A simple "No Thank You" and they are on their way.

We took a Phi Phi Island snorkeling trip that was really nice. It was a day long trip that showcased the Phi Phi Islands and some good snorkeling spots. I'd suggest getting out and doing something like that. It gets you some great views of the Islands of Phuket and also some great spots for snorkeling.

We found ourselves in Patong for the Thai New Year (April 13). This was an absolutely awesome experience. The tradition is that of pouring water on each other for good luck into the coming year (I believe) and it turns into the largest water fight you'll ever take part in. Everyone, and I mean everyone, has either a bucket, a hose or a water/squirt gun and spends the entire day spraying and splashing each other. We and everybody else on the streets of Patong were drenched from head to toe. We expected this and dressed accordingly and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. There are even vendors selling ice-cold water for your bucket or water gun, but if you're patient you can find ice-cold water for free somewhere down the road. Most businesses or homes don't mind if you just stop by and fill up your gun at their place. Just expect to get doused while doing it.

Sorry for the length of this review of the Aquamarine/Phuket. Hope it is helpful.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
16  Thank nalizako
Reviewed April 13, 2008

Just got back from Aquamarine at Kamala beach, Phuket. I did research on tripadvisor.com prior to booking, and was a bit worried about a few bad reviews I saw. However, I have to say that the hotel is excellent. The service was perfect. We had a great time there and since it's close to patong, you can go into town whenever you want. There's a free shuttle to patong and don't pay anymore than 350 baht on a tuk tuk to get back to the hotel. The staff were so helpful. They helped us with restaurant reservations, tour bookings, and anything we wanted. The spa at the hotel is wonderful. very stylish and relaxing with great prices. Just book early because it fills up.

We enjoyed the following restaurants, activities during our stay.

the shack restaurant at the bottom of the hill of the resort on the waterfront has excellent food and a great view of the sunset.

We did an elephant safari with Siam Safari tours. We had the 4in1 tour with a Junk boat sunset dinner. It was priced great and well worth it. Please don't go with other companies since this is the only company who donate all money to the care of the elephants and the local community.

We loved Ban Rim Pa, a restaurant on Kalim Beach in north patong. It's one of the priciest on the island, but still really resonable by AUS pricing.

We rented a motor bike and went around the island for a day. Had a blast and we had the chance to see more of the island than most people who visit phuket.

We did tailoring with TOM's International tailor. They are considerably more expensive than other prices we saw, however our suits we had made are perfectly tailored and a great value. Take pictures with you of women's suits etc. since their catelogs of paterns etc. is very outdated if your under the age of 35.
They keep all your mesurements and you can order additional items from australia.

Phi Phi islands were great. both islands are very crowded with tours, but well worth it.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Erica77
Reviewed March 27, 2008

We have just returned from the Aquamarine resort. it was the best holiday ever. the hotel was lovely and the staff great. i would also like to mention the shack just outside the side entrance from the hotel. The food was fantastic and the people there were the best. if you speak with the owners "A" or "CO CO" i am sure they would take you to a real thai market.

the chef will also give you a thai cooking lesson for free, although her English is not the best. we spent most nights chilling at the shack. please note that it is not actually called "the shack " but we found round the hotel that most people called it that and it seems to suit it.

please if anyone goes could they take some photos of Bobby the dog and put them on here so we can watch him grow.

on our last night we asked for Lobster and tiger prawns at the shack and we all had a bbq. the food was amazing and i'm missing it now.

i would recommend this hotel to all my friends and in fact me and my partner are going to get married at the shack in a couple of years time.

another great thing to see is the taxi driver. if you come down the stairs by the second swimming pool and cross the road you come to the shack and taxi. the taxi driver is the funniest man i have ever met.
a definate must see!

i could see no downside to the hotel and i have nothing negative to say.

i want to go back.