“Amazing family resort”

Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Kamala
Phuket, Thailand
“Amazing family resort”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

My friends have just recently visited staying in the Sunwing Resort in Kamala. It is truly the best family resort you can imagine when having small kids. All is provided for, amenities in the room, such as kids potty, baby bed, baby stroller, fenced private garden, baby chair and amazing kids menus and activities in the restaurant and around the pool. The staff is amazing with all kids, full patience and assisting in any manner! A must stay when visiting Phuket with your family.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank FemkeBeekers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Stockholm
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Got here in the end of July with my 8 years old daughter and thought this was to be mostly Swedish families, as Kamala seem to be top favourite Phuket beach among Swedes. They even have a Swedish bakery here on Kamala!

But to say, the nationalities are evenly spread amongst Germans, British, Danish, Arabs and Swedes. And majorities of the hotel guests were Chinese.

The hotelroom (standard) were fairly big for us two. We could keep our room tidy and neat as we were just two of us. Looking in some rooms with full size families I suppose there was a bit too small as those families seem packed their rooms with stuff. The sofa was too occupied with bed linnen.

The pools were 6 of them and all very nice. Two of them equiped with water slides. One bigger and one small. There were also a baby pool for the smallest children.
All pools have a shallow part for most children.

The news for us was my daughter got ear infection from the pool. We have been in Thailand serveral times but this was quite new experience. We learned that many hotel guests have or had that too. And it seem to be quite common on big hotels with crowded swimingpools such as this. The tips we got (afterward) was to rinse the ears with tap water each time after swiming in the pool (or sea). Good advise as this is very painful and can cause a problem on your vacation. The whole ear area (inside and outside) gets sore! Really sore! The pharmacies around can provide ear drops. Perhaps with combination of antibiotics.

The breakfast were average. There would be a asian station with rice soup and miso soup. Some stired fry veggies and rice. But other than that just average breakfast. Nothing for lacto intolerance, or other intolerances. You might perhaps ask for your special meals, but we just ate twice and we had enough. I did once asked for coconut chicken soup without sugar and got it! So probably special requests were nothing impossible.

I like that children under age of 12 were free to chose from Lollo and Bernie children's menu if an adult ate from the standard menu. One could get away cheaply if not for the drinks were in comparision far too expensive. 45 bath for a bottle of water for example.

As we had a fridge, electric kettle and microwave we mostly ate take away from other restaurants and street food stations on our room. Each room were fullly equiped with eating utensils such as plate, cutleries, cups, serving plates etc.

The best part was actually the service the staff provided! The lobby, the restaurant (except for one guy on the breakfast serving who did know that I understood Thai and he were talking loudly about me with his collegue, laughing) and the Mini land staff who were so lovely.
Not only the two Swedish girls who we got to know really well, but all staff there. They were great with children and so services minded!

There was mid season when we got there and I suppose the activities were not on top, but well arranged enough.

The gym was small and with few equipments, but with some experiences and creativity you can get through a whole body work out without missing anything out.
For me the gym was the most important beside the fact there has to be something for my daughter to do when I'm working out 2-3 times a day.

The hotel area connects to the beach that is rather nice now when it is probidden with sun chairs, restaurants and vendors. Dogs walking around and do their dirt, though.... So mind your steps...

All together I would give the hotel 4,5 out of 5, but roads or path from the hotel to Kamala village were difficult to walk on as you either have to walk along the main road and risk to be hit by motorcycles or cars. The beach path were too sandy and not lighten during nigts . Walking in total darkness (alone with you kid) is pretty creepy, especially when the security man is sneaking up behind you all of the sudden, and you didn't know it was him on the beach.

I would probably stay here again if Kamala would have been more exiting beach, but after 9 p.m its dark and desert which is not very pleasant to walk on in total darkness.

Pros: free wi-fi especially good around pool area, large fridge, cleaning, many big pools, kids eat free, activity centre for kids, access to two gyms, fitness classes, fantastic service minded staff.

Cons: air con difficult to adjust with bad instruction manual says more what not to do than what to do, shower; water no even flow, expensive mini-mart where they take 3 times higher price than 7eleven which is situated 400 m from the hotel. Take the exit out through the beach to get to the beach road where all the tourist restaurants, pharmacies and shops are.

Room Tip: Get to C-market (follow the main road for approx 800 m towards Patong beach) and shop for water supp...
3 Thank TraveladdictedAlex
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed August 11, 2014

I have now been to the Sunwing Resort at Kamala twice and I would definitely go again. The entire place is catered towards families and children. The staff are very friendly and helpful. They have everything you could possibly need right there at the resort with just a quick walk to Kamala beach- which is lovely to swim in and to hang out and build sand castles on.

The food in general could use some improvement but it is easy and on location- kids eat free with a paying adult making it extremely cost effective. They also have cartoons on a projector every evening allowing for a nice leisurely meal for the rest of the family.

The swimming pools are numerous, varying in style and purpose so everyone can find one to suit their needs. Rooms are clean and well lit- nothing spectacular but nothing to complain about. Each room has a balcony and a small kitchen area with a larger fridge than most hotels along with a microwave.

On busy days it can be difficult to find a pool chair aren't very many at the main pools. Overall it provides a lovely accommodation, with plenty to do, especially for children.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank tonguethaid
Australia
Reviewed August 1, 2014

My wife and I met my Son, his wife and two kids here for 12 days. We had the Royal Suite Room 3140 which suited us perfectly and they had the two bedroom Family Room, which was perfect for them. Being able to just slip into the pool anytime of the day or night and sit at the pool bar at times was great. The front desk staff are all so friendly and helpful. The food was absolutely great and the staff at the breakfast sitting so friendly to the kids. You won't be sorry.

Room Tip: For couples, definitely the Royal Suite. Let Renelyn at the front desk choose you a room according t...
3 Thank tycoon
Reviewed July 31, 2014

If you enjoy being able to walk to the city and having access to all that a city brings then this resort may not be for you. However if you are looking for a relaxing, quiet resort-style holiday experience then I would whole heartedly recommend it (although if I went back I would probably go somewhere else). The setting is simply picture perfect and definitely make your way down to the massage ladies in front of the beach - they are magicians! In terms of access to the beach, there is no better hotel in Kamala, you have private access but once there the water clarity isn't great and the water was VERY choppy and most young kids would not be able to safely swim there. I did not like the following: the reception staff did not have great english and I often had to walk away as they just could not understand what I was trying to say. The breakfast which is included is fair at best, feeding I'm guessing a thousand people every day would be hard I recognise that but it is all bane-mare and I just didn't enjoy it particularly. We also did not eat in the restaurants at the resort, choosing instead to go to the Kamala restaurants and because of Trip advisor we ate very well thank you. Considering the weather is so damn hot I expected the pools to be kept a bit cooler but they were all quite warm which was weird, although the beach water was fairly warm too. What I did like were the pools, the views and the massages. Consider other options before booking this place.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 24, 2014

As a family with an 8yr old boy we took a weeks holiday in low season (July 2014) at Sunwing Resort. The room (2012) was next to the pool and was ideal. Our package was B&B so we used the restaraunt for a number of dinners. It had a great selection of both western and Thai dishes. We found the Thai dishes to be both the best in value and taste. The fact that our son eat free while we ate was a bonus. It was nice to see that drinks at the hotel were reasonable as well. The location of the resort next to the beach was fantastic. The location of the hotel in relation to Kamala town was also good. A short walk from the beach to reach a street that had a good selection of restaurants, gift shops and 7/11 store. Note it is not a large selection but there are more on the mani street. Kamala is a short 15 min drive to Patong by taxi making it a good location for families away from the crowds. We had a great holiday and look forward to going again next year at the same time. Of interest the resort has many pools and rooms that are next to them as part of their patios. For families that have smaller kids there are rooms that have small gardens that allow small kids to play without direct access to the pool, making it safe for kids.
Our room had a small kitchen sink, microwave and good sized fridge all of which were very useful.

Room Tip: Get the hotel to pick you up from the airport as the price is the same as a taxi and you will have s...
3 Thank Derry-EI
Ohaupo, New Zealand
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Our family of 2 adults and 2 kids stayed here for the second week of our 2 and a bit week long Thailand holiday. We chose this resort as it looked like a good place to slow things down a bit and unwind after a full on week in Chiang Mai. And it ended up being a good choice. The kids immediately fell in love with the place, with its 7 pools and 2 watersides.

After reading some of the previous reviews I wasn't sure what to expect. However we were pleasantly surprised. The pools were clean and spacious, with enough area and sun chairs to accommodate everyone. The service was very friendly and helpful also. This is a big resort but the staff still manage to say hello and have a joke with the kids every now and then. We also booked several tours at the tour desk and found the staff really helpful.

But the thing that really surprised me after reading previous reviews was the restaurant. The food was really really good. Only on the pricy side if you ordered western food, and the kids ate for free from the kids buffet which was a real treat. A buffet specifically designed for kids. I have never seen my kids get stuck into dinner the way they did here.

If I have a criticism, it is the place feels a little sterile. It could do with a bit of character. Maybe having little Thai statues in the gardens and pool area. Some Thai decorations in the bedrooms, restaurant and foyer area. I realise this is a bit cliche and is done to death in most other resorts around Phuket, but at least it would remind you that you were in Thailand.

I am guessing this resort is heavily advertised in Europe as there were a lot of Europeans staying when we were there. Mainly Germans I guess by the racket they made at 5:00am when they won the world cup. The breakfast bar was almost empty later that morning.

We really enjoyed our stay at Sunwing Kamala and would recommend it to any young family wanting to stay in Phuket.

4 Thank Greg T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Kamala Beach Resort (a Sunprime Resort)
Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach
Swissotel Resort Phuket Kamala Beach
Sunwing Bangtao Beach
Sunwing Bangtao Beach
#2 of 8 in Bang Tao Beach
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to Sunwing Kamala Beach? Share your experiences!