Our first time to Phuket, I undertook alot of research before leaving home seeking a resort that caters for the kids (aged 3 & 7) but also the adults - Sunwing Resort, Kamala Beach ticked all the boxes and more; resulting that we will probably return next year with friends.
We stayed in a 2 bedroom family suite that was just huge. The kids share a king sized bed and had their own TV in the room allowing them to watch the Disney channel in the morning and letting mum and dad sleep in! This resort is set up that it caters for the kids in every aspect. From colouring in tables at breakfast time and from playing Tom & Jerry cartoons on a wall at dinner time allowing the adults to eat their meals in peace. Kiddie entertainment was provided every third night (I believe it is more frequent over peak times) in the form of a magic show or acrobatic show. Miniland for the kids was set up like an ikea store (we found out that the resort is Scandinavian owned) and the kids begged to visit it everyday - note you can leave the kids there but parents need to stay within the resort grounds allowing you to enjoy that cocktail in peace or that cheap Thai massage. The massage pergola located on the property right next to the beach was fantastic, charging only A$10 for a 1 hour massage (the same price as in town!), we couldn't get enough of them.
As it was the quiet season in June we felt like we had the resort alot of times to ourselves, which was great. Kamala Beach was nice and quiet and even though the ocean was still rough the kids still had a ball running in and out of the surf. It only took a 5 minute walk and you were in Kamala town that provided many restaurants options, shops, tailors and several 7/11 shops.
Visited Patong for the day with a tuk tuk and appreciated that we were staying at peaceful Kamala Beach. Even though it was low season Patong was still busy and always getting haggled on the streets and on the beach wasn't pleasant.
Highly recommend visiting the local market at Phuket Town on from 4pm Saturday and Sunday. This market is huge and fantastic shopping can be done here too. The yummy cheap food you can buy here is great and we fed all 4 of us with drinks for A$12! There is a Friday night market outside the hotel which is good but highly recommend visiting the Phuket Town market.
The only fault I can say about the resort is the lack of free WiFi which was disappointing. There is internet available at a cost and not very reliable. We found it very cheap to use our iphone with a sim bought in Kamala and had good connection.
Otherwise if you have kids, go visit Sunwing, you will NOT be disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A fully contained family resort with its own restaurants, entertainment programs and a host of activities for all ages. The resort includes all the fun, adventure, and luxury that families want most, elevating the family vacation to world-class standards on the unspoiled Kamala beach of Phuket. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Sunwing Kamala Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunwing Resort - Kamala Beach Hotel Kamala
- Sunwing Kamala Beach Phuket