“We loved it and we'll be back!”

Sunwing Kamala Beach
Ranked #10 of 35 Hotels in Kamala
Reviewed July 2, 2011

Our first time to Phuket, I undertook alot of research before leaving home seeking a resort that caters for the kids (aged 3 & 7) but also the adults - Sunwing Resort, Kamala Beach ticked all the boxes and more; resulting that we will probably return next year with friends.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom family suite that was just huge. The kids share a king sized bed and had their own TV in the room allowing them to watch the Disney channel in the morning and letting mum and dad sleep in! This resort is set up that it caters for the kids in every aspect. From colouring in tables at breakfast time and from playing Tom & Jerry cartoons on a wall at dinner time allowing the adults to eat their meals in peace. Kiddie entertainment was provided every third night (I believe it is more frequent over peak times) in the form of a magic show or acrobatic show. Miniland for the kids was set up like an ikea store (we found out that the resort is Scandinavian owned) and the kids begged to visit it everyday - note you can leave the kids there but parents need to stay within the resort grounds allowing you to enjoy that cocktail in peace or that cheap Thai massage. The massage pergola located on the property right next to the beach was fantastic, charging only A$10 for a 1 hour massage (the same price as in town!), we couldn't get enough of them.

As it was the quiet season in June we felt like we had the resort alot of times to ourselves, which was great. Kamala Beach was nice and quiet and even though the ocean was still rough the kids still had a ball running in and out of the surf. It only took a 5 minute walk and you were in Kamala town that provided many restaurants options, shops, tailors and several 7/11 shops.

Visited Patong for the day with a tuk tuk and appreciated that we were staying at peaceful Kamala Beach. Even though it was low season Patong was still busy and always getting haggled on the streets and on the beach wasn't pleasant.

Highly recommend visiting the local market at Phuket Town on from 4pm Saturday and Sunday. This market is huge and fantastic shopping can be done here too. The yummy cheap food you can buy here is great and we fed all 4 of us with drinks for A$12! There is a Friday night market outside the hotel which is good but highly recommend visiting the Phuket Town market.

The only fault I can say about the resort is the lack of free WiFi which was disappointing. There is internet available at a cost and not very reliable. We found it very cheap to use our iphone with a sim bought in Kamala and had good connection.
Otherwise if you have kids, go visit Sunwing, you will NOT be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room and a TV in 2nd bedroom
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank tanj23

Reviewed April 30, 2011

My first time at Sunwing, Kamala, following my wife and others stay last year. Excellent accommodation, clean and bright. As one might expect, we sampled many eating places around town but started to return back to the Resort since it served such good Thai cuisine. Excellent breakfasts - I'm afraid I put on 3kg over the week, but what a choice of menu items! We sampled everything. Evening meals great and well presented. Staff always courteous and attentive to needs and enquiries - great to see staff watching over young children and helping mothers. Evening entertainment enthusiastic and well received. Pools well serviced and very clean. Enjoyed the massages by friendly and competent staff! All in all, a very enjoyable stay of 10 days! Thank you.

Room Tip: Clearly outline your requirements.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank DrBob015
Reviewed April 22, 2011

had a wonderful time at this resort, massive pools and never too crowded with the beach just out the back of the resort.
Kamala is a little quiet, but after the patong experience - you appreciate it.
very good value for money.
some of the kids entertainment is in Swedish or norwegian , but the kids work around that.
and we made some good friends from Norway , which made the trip more memorable

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 5Aussie
Reviewed February 24, 2011

Sunwing Kamala is built for families with children. Sunprime, located on the other half of the property, is designated for adults with children older than 15. Sunwing is an excellent, new hotel located right on the beach in Kamala. Most of the families staying there are Scandinavian (mostly from Sweden). The hotel staff are exceptional. We arrived at the resort at 8am from Kuala Lumpur. The check in time is normally 3pm, but they graciously allowed us to check in at 8am without any additional charge. The staff were more than happy to assist us in this.

The room we stayed in (Studio Room booked on Agoda) was spacious and comfortable. The hotel is less than 2 years old so everything looked new. There were quite a few English TV channels to choose from and our room had a great view of the pools and gardens below. The room was plenty big for my wife and I and our 2 young boys (ages 2 and 4). Though the hotel was more than 95% full, inside our room was quite and relaxing.

There are 7 good sized pools to choose from and plenty of sun chairs. The pools are all designed for young children. There are plenty of pool and beach toys to use free of charge.

The beach is just a short 2 or 3 minute walk from the hotel lobby. Kamala is a beautiful beach and I highly recommend it, especially over the crowded and dirty beach of Patong. The white sand beaches of Kamala are amazing and the water is crystal clear. Beach chairs can be rented for 75B ($2.50) per day. There are lots of excellent and inexpensive Thai and Western restaurants to choose from on the beach. We ate at 5 different restaurants and all of them were excellent. Kamala is a family friendly beach so there are relatively few nude sunbathers.

The road in front of the hotel also has several good restaurants and coffee shops to choose from. There is also a 7-11 which sells most drink options and snacks. Kamala is very quiet compared to Patong, which is loud even at 2am. Kamala is probably one of the best options on Phuket if you have a family or if you are there to relax without the constant parties.

The breakfast buffet was good. It had many choices and was efficiently run during the peak of the high season. The ala carte and buffet menus were also good and reasonably priced. We ordered a pizza one night which was excellent.

I would absolutely stay here again and most likely will within the next year. It is an excellent hotel in a great location. The staff are all helpful and friendly. There are plenty of activities for children to do and lots of things to keep parents busy.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
11  Thank Surmang
Reviewed February 10, 2011

Only 2 beds in a room for 3, no shower in the bathroom, chaotic at breakfast, no free WiFi, this is a MUST on a Hotel! Or else, a really nice hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed January 25, 2011

There's sooo much to say about this hotel, I just came back from a 14-night stay with my family (husband and three children aged 2, 5, 10).

We stayed in a two bedroom-suite, which was really spacious (64 sqm) and nice. The hotels was only built a year or two ago, and it still feels very modern and updated. Nice, clean bathroom, separate bedroom and one bedroom / livingroom area.

The only bad things I could say about the room is that the balcony faced the surroundings, but also the staff's dining area and laundry room which meant we didn't have the best of views. And a thing that I kinda missed having in this kind of family resort was cooking facilities. Some members of my family were sick a couple of days, and it would have been nice to be able to cook something light for them - and not have to order a pizza or a thai dish from the restaurant.

As there are no cooking facilities, the little minimarket in the hotel building has very limited assortment - a lot less than normally found in Sunwing hotels. But you can find the most requested items here of course, such as drinks, snacks, biscuits, hygiene products, goggles and pool toys.

The hotel has an amazing pool area, with seven pools altogether - something for everyone. One of the pools even has a big sunroof over the kids section, so it's perfect for babies and toddlers. Kids also enjoy the playground, and the indoor miniland which is perfect and airconditioned when the kids need a little break from the sun. They also have playstation games and computers for older children.

There are two restaurants in the hotel, one is called La Tasca and that's also where breakfast is served - and where they have the shows at night. Food is average, but the breakfast is great - as always with Sunwing. They offer a wide choice of a hot and cold buffet. The second restaurant is located on the beach, and is called Fino. we only ate here once but it was truly wonderful - especially when you're getting a bit fed up with fried rice and noodles. :)

When going down to the beach, it's a little difficult to walk to the left with a stroller, but that's (one of) the ways to Kamala centre - which is a very small centre, but still. It has all the shopping you would expect in this kinda place, together with restaurants, bars, tailors, sightseeing companies, beauty places (massage), laundry places and such. If you take a right when entering the beach, however, it's a paved way that leads to some nice restaurants, bars and some smaller "shops" (which is more like booths with swimwear and beach dresses and that kinda stuff).

Overall, Kamala is a quiet part of Phuket, but is only 15-20 minutes away from the craziness of Patong. There's a market outside the hotel on Fridays which is not to be missed. They sell all sort of fake bags/t-shirts/sunglasses/shorts/make-up, and also have a small part which is basically a food market. Even if you don't dare to try anything, it's well fascinating to watch!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Mamamolu
Reviewed January 21, 2011

We stayed in the Happy Baby Studio, Room No 3145. Before booking the tour, I called up to check on the reservation and confirm the check in timing at 11am. On arrival, I was told the room was not ready and I have to wait till 3pm. Unfortunately, my baby was running on high fever and I had to explain to the hotel staff several times in order for them to grant me a room so that I can bath my baby to bring down the temperature. The puzzling thing was..the staff declined to give me a room stating that they were fully booked for the day. I had to plead 2-3 times before they release a room for me quite immediately. Well...I wonder if they were truly booked for the day as I do see several empty rooms.
When we enter into our rooms, we were greeted by mosquitoes. We had to spray a few rounds of insecticides to be sure the mosquitoes are gone. Being a mom of an infant, I certainly do not like the idea of having chemicals in the room. The delayed check-in and mosquitoes studio definitely spoilt the beginning of my holidays!

On the brighter side, I do have to agree the room are well-facilitated with the babies equipment from cot to stroller ( surrounded by buzzing mosquitoes thou..), bathtub and baby cutlery. The distance from the hotel room to beach is also ideal. The concept of every building having a pool on its own is good. Breakfast spread is good and the Baby Playland concept is excellent. If one is bored after eating the La Tasca or Fino restaurant for days , just 5-10 min walk around the beach and you can find some decent restaurants. I have to warn, I tried a few restarants (ordered Thai food) and they cannot be compared to the ones in Bangkok. So please lower your expectation on food. Taxi ride cost about 600 Baht to Patong city which I find is ex. There is nothing to shop around in Kamala so if you are a shopper, Kamala is not for you. Stay in Patong or get a resort which offers driver for free ( I know there are some who does this).

Back to some unhappy encounters..in regards to the room, the air-conditioning was loud..and well..the water supply during one of the days were shut for 20min,reason being burst pipes. Not so good especially when we had someone stuck doing big business in the toilet.
I also had this real bad experience with the conceirge. There was a girl ( I think she is Swedish) who replied that they only served the following, and pointed to 3 flags- Norway, Finland, Sweden. Being Asian, I felt discriminated and rude of her for not referring me to the front desk. She just turned her head around after pointing the flags.
This is definitely a 5 star resort for Scandiniavans or maybe European. Kids-show are all in Scandic language. Even most of the books and cartoons in Mini Playland are Scandic. I will not recommend this resort for Asian families. But will for others.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Brainkid
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Sunprime Kamala Beach
Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach
Swissotel Resort Phuket Kamala Beach
Sunwing Bangtao Beach
Sunwing Bangtao Beach
#2 of 8 in Bang Tao Beach
Ayara Kamala Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort

Been to Sunwing Kamala Beach? Share your experiences!