“Fantastic!!”

The Bell Pool Villa Resort Phuket
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Kamala
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Beautiful villas that were well kept. Clean and had all the comforts of home. Staff were very friendly and attentive. The resort is rather off the beaten track, so commuting to the beach or to town was a bit of an inconvenience. Taxis or tuktuks in and out of the resort cost THB$500 one way, so was a little steep after a while. Other than that, it is a good place for a relaxing getaway. Definitely considering going back again soon.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 26, 2011

My wife and myself stayed here for the first three nights of our Honeymoon in Thailand.

From the moment we reached, we were treated extremely professionally. The staff are very corteous and always follow through on any of our requests. The villas are in tip top shape, very well maintained and extremely clean. If you are yearning for some private time at a quality hotel, then this is the place for you. The staff here respect your privacy. Decor was excellent.

We were given a personal mobile phone for us to use to contact the butlet throughout out stay at anytime wherever we were. They keep tabs on who is still out and about. Even when we were up late in patong, our butler phoned us a couple of times asking if we were ok and if we needed any help whatsoever getting home. Will definitaly stay here the next time we are in phuket.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Stayed at The Bell for 4d3n with extended family. We rented the 3-bedroom villa through AWD. We also hired a vehicle which was really a blessing as The Bell is deep in from the main road. It is also a difficult place to locate - even the staff admit many travellers had lost their way.

The pool was the first thing that we saw as we were led into the villa. It was "wow"!! The pool is very huge. The design and materials used are safe and they used striking tiles to make it look luxurious. The layout of the villa is safe - the room doors are close to each other. This is useful for families with kids, but also individually lockable, ensuring privacy. The rooms are tastefully furnished. The master bedroom is large, but the other 2 rooms are quite small. There is ample space to walk but not to place another extra bed. The bathrooms are pretty standard of villas / good hotels but without the luxurious amenities like razor, shaving foam, shoe polish, bubble bath. Even the soap / shampoo are non-branded, presumably their house brand. The soap can be a little dry to the skin - this is my opinion. The living room is spacious. There is a large LCD tv provided but the reception of channels is poor - fuzzy pictures on all channels. Also, no cable tv. You may rent dvds from reception. The kitchen in ample for its purpose, and has many modern amenities. The minibar is well-stocked up and they even have a wine cooler full of wines. The small things that we appreciated were the bedroom slippers in all rooms, bathrobes, pool towels, serviettes, friendly service and good English from their staff. This the hotel so far has the best English=speaking staff among all the hotels we've patronised in Phuket. The most helpful staff is this butler called 'Faraway'. That was the name she gave us. During our stay, we had in-house dining. The food was generally good (some dishes too sweet) and it arrived on time. The portions were generous and prices were pegged at hotel prices.

Now here comes the PLUSSES:
On the downside, we found the daily breakfasts in the villa to be inconsistent. Firstly, breakfast is not buffet. It is ala carte. You get to choose 1 type only. And in that type, there are items. You also get to choose 1 item only, e.g. you can't choose boiled egg and omelette at the same time. While the quantity is somewhat average, there were days when we discovered the quantity was lesser than the other days, e.g. the quantity of the fruit platter and bread basket, although the number of people having breakfast in our villa remained the same. Also, the quantity of juice poured varied. On some days, the juice poured is barely half a glass! In other hotels, drinks like coffee / tea / juices / milk, etc. are refillable. This is the bad thing about not having a restaurant to dine in. Once the butler's juice that she brings is finishing, she would have to try her best to equal out the drinks so that everyone gets some. The bread served is generally hard - not the type of standard a good villa / hotel should serve. Although I rented a 3-bedroom villa which can accommodate 6 adults, they still insisted that I pay for 1 of my children (5 adults + 2 children). My youngest child is in kindergarten. Even though I didn't need an extra bed, as my youngest could sleep with us on the master bed, they insisted that I had to pay 1000 bahts for the child for breakfast and bed. And even if I refused the bed, they would still charge the same amount. So, I opted for the extra bed as well since I had to pay. But lo and behold, when I checked out, I saw that they actually separated the bill for bed and breakfast - breakfast costing 350 bahts. In other words, I needn't have opted for the extra bed in the first place! That was an unnecessary 1950 bahts! They allowed us to check out late (till 3pm) but would charge 500 bahts every hour, even though no other guests were using the villa after us, and even though we checked in at 3.30pm. We didn't take them up on their 'offer', as we felt there should be this thing called graciousness. We sent for some laundry and they overcharged us for dry cleaning. My wife pointed this out to them and they were quick to apologize and correct the charge. They also charged us for usage of bottled water from their minibar (although they supply 2 bottles per day per room). It's the same bottled water. They waived this charge as I told them there is no sense in charging for something they provide foc. By the way, if you don't drink your daily supply of water, room service will not top up the 2 bottles per room. We broke a wine glass by accident. They were quick to discover this and charged us 100 bahts, which we agreed to pay. Upon check-out they wanted to charge us 200 bahts as they recorded that we broke 2 glasses. Of course I told them that was not true and their manager waived the charge for the water and broken glass. In the end, we decided to leave early and spend our money (which they wanted to charge us for late check out) on shopping instead.

Given their somewhat inaccessible and isolated location, I would think their management should rethink on some of their policies regarding young children (especially those who share bedding with parents), late check outs based on availability, etc. so that they would be able to woo and retain new and existing guests (respectively).

On the whole, the villa is great, the staff is superb, but management somehow puts a sour taste in your mouth. Alas, that is generally the same for companies / organisations all around the world. If you ask if I would return to The Bell, I would say I would first do my homework on other villas / hotels first. If there aren't any better in that price range, then I would return. Hopefully, management gets to reflect on the several items I've surfaced for their attention.

Room Tip: Read my review, esp on the plusses
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank KevinSingapore
Reviewed June 20, 2011

It was a like "Wow" . . . . just like the website photos as we stepped into the property upon arrival. We were not disappionted at all. The property is fairly new and the grounds were well manicured. The pool is a genrous size to boot (and clean too !!). Facilities and beddings were well appointed and family-friendly. Great & helpful staff, and they handled our check-in swiftly. Breakfast was usual standard in-villa served with good selection. (but don't expect a buffet spread variety.)

Pros - well manage & kept property. Clean & great service from housekeeping and they try their best to accommodate. Love the property layout. Free internet WiFi, kitchenette facilities. Free scheduled transfer to town & back.
cons - Access to the beach is quite a distance and it deep-in, from the main road. Never tried the food from room service so no comments on its quality.
Always had arrange own transport back after 8pm.

The Bell is rather enclose and away from the shopping strips, bustle and nite-life action and amendities, so unless you treasure privacy and travel minimalist to the town, this may or may not meet your criteria, depending on your priorities.

** I was half expecting a welcome foot bath massage ( something that I always enjoyed at our usual Bali haunts upon check-in) but this was truly missing. (Hope the management will read this, hint, hint.)

Overall, it was pleasant stay and had good memories. And as I am writting this, I am planning to return to Bell again, this time with our 2 children.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2011

From the moment you enter it is absolute bliss from the staff to the amazing villas they are just gorgeous, the villas are exactly the same as their photos on the website breakfast choice is amazing served in your villa each morning. Downside would be location they just need to add more shuttle services into Patong then it would be perfect.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed April 28, 2011

The Bell is one of the most welcoming hotels I have had the pleasure of staying at. After long flight we arrived at this lovely and quiet residence. It is spotless, the rooms are beautiful and romantic.
This beautiful villa is furnished with a lot of taste and love.Its a haven of peace Phuket. The personal is adorable and extremely helpful.

The swimming pool is great and a romantic add on to the stay.
Breakfast is very good and huge ...Food was excellent,not very expensive.

We will definitely go back and encourage my friends to try it as well!

Best Wishes to the Team!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2011

From the moment we arrived at the Bell we were very impressed by the very friendly staff and welcoming decor,

We were shown to our villa where staff showed us around the villa and explained how to use the TV, Free Wifi and courtesy mobile phone for the Butler.

The pool was the centre point of the villa spotless and refreshing, rooms were very tastfully decorated and comfortable.

The only minor problem is the location, whilst very nice its not walking distance to beach, hoeever there are free shuttles to Kamala Beach and Patong courtesy of The Bell, also free bicycles ideal for beach trips.

Overall this is one of the best places i have stayed in and hope to return in 2012

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank Markh36
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Ayara Kamala Resort & Spa
The Naka Phuket
The Naka Phuket
#16 of 35 in Kamala
Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort

Been to The Bell Pool Villa Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!