“Chilled out, compact resort hotel”

Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Kamala
Singapore, Singapore
“Chilled out, compact resort hotel”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We spent a short weekend (Friday night - Sunday evening) at Cape Sienna, and it was perfect for what we were looking for, which was a place to just chill out for a couple of days without having to go anywhere. The room was a good size and comfortable, with a dinner plate style shower head, but it was really the pool and bar / restuarant area that I really liked. At first glance, this area seemed quite small to cater for the hotel guests, given all of the rooms that the hotel has, but it didn't feel like that and it was a nice relaxing space to catch some rays, have a swim, bite to eat, etc. The food and drinks there were good, and we ate a lovely meal at their main restaurant on the Saturday night, which has great views overlooking the ocean. Rather unexpectedly, I had the best Irish coffee I've had for a long time after our dinner there, which included some impressive flairing with fire and alcohol by the waiter! The bar upstairs was also good, serving decent cocktails. The breakfast buffet was great - a really good selection of different types of food from omlettes to waffles and pancakes. The hotel also has a small gym (great for working off those cocktails!) and a spa (where I had a wonderful massage!) and given this, as well as the choice of places to eat and drink at, it offers a great package of amenities for those (like us!) who wish to do nothing very much on their break apart from laze around.

1 Thank LottieOG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We have a bad experience during our stayed in Cape Sienna on the 18th-15th August 2012. I lost my watch! I did not know how someone could get into our room but I am sure that someone has stolen my watch in our room.

The last time I wore my watch was on Sunday 12th August 2012.
On Monday, 13th August 2012 we left room at 7.15 am for James Bound Tour. I decided not wearing my watch because no point wearing it in the beach. Since then I could not find my watch until we checked out on Wednesday, 15th August 2012.

We reported to the staff on duty and was handled by Assistant Manager but until we left we did not have any result of their investigation. He promised me to keep the investigate on and will up date the situation through my email address.

Nine days -24 August 2012 I heard nothing from the Cape Sienna Management! Not a word! Then I sent an email and ? till today I got no reply and still not a word!

So if you asking my review about this hotel I would say BAD in term of customer satisfaction!

Hotel is service business, it is customer satisfaction and it is the hotel responsibility if something bad happened to their guest, isnt it?

Review and advise for this hotel :
Put your valuable stuff in your deposit box.

If you are looking for the crowd this hotel is not for you and it is expensive to go to town by taxi or tuk tuk. The hotel is far away (20 minutes drive) to the town. It costed you 25 USD one way to town/city centre/Patong beach like USD50-return

Stay one or 2 days maximum to feel the ambiance but be careful if you have booked through internet for 7 days they will charged you 7 days straight away from your credit card when you checked in.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DewiRetnowati
VanillaSky123, General Manager at Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Mrs. Retnowati,
we are trully sadened by your review.
My Asst. Front Office manager has been with you on the 15th and went to your room to help you find the watch. He has also informed you before your departure that nothing was found anywhere and that he will check the vieng card lock report for any entry to your room and shall get back to you if anything comes up or there are any news. As nothing came up he did not pursue this matter further.

After your email on 24th August, he wrote you back on 25th August (I received a copy and i checked your email address was put correctly, therefore you should have received it) attaching the vieng card report where only the regular maid entry at usual time is recorded.
Although of course we can never be sure if and where things are lost, our security does check our outgoing staff and the maid in question works for us since the opening of the hotel and never has been subject to any accusations.

What concerns bookings thru internet website: each website has different policies, which are stated clearly. Some bookings are non-refundable and are charged fully prior to arrival, some are not. It is necessary to read the different conditions when making a booking. Those are not depending on us, but are the websites standard options.

We do feel sad and sorry that your experience here has been tainted.

Yours Sincerely,
Frank Dreist
Australia
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This resort rates itself five stars: it has an excessively high opinion of itself.

My wife and I stayed here for several nights in early November 2012. The experience wasn't exactly bad, but the hotel doesn't measure up to other genuine 5-star hotels and resorts in Thailand, or elsewhere in Asia.

It over-promised and under-delivered on both its facilities and staff.

The balconies that gIve access to the hotel rooms have the appearance of a 3-star motel, with tinny, tiny lifts (elevators), pebbledash stairs, and steel rails.

The reception area had a cluttered look. When we checked in there was a cardboard box overflowing with papers on the bench behind the receptionist - and a dirty towel on the floor near the door presumably to mop up a spillage.

There was no freshly squeezed juice at breakfast - only 'fruit juice drinks' of alarmingly bright colours.

And the staff? Many were helpful and efficient, but some rather inflexible and apathetic.

We wanted to go to the gym after check-in, but it was after 8 pm, the closing time, so the answer was 'No'. Fair enough, perhaps. But this does not measure up to the standards of other Thai and Asian hotels, where the staff are refreshingly flexible about pool and gym opening hours, or the facilities are open 24 hours.

On two other occasions, the staff came to close the gym at 7.50 pm and looked quite inconvenienced that we were still there.

Or take the 'One Stop Service'. The marketing blather boasts 'Our One Stop Service provides guests with an unrivalled level of personalised service when every request can be made with one phone call. A command center within the hotel combines telecommunications, room service and all other departments to create an efficient hub of complete service delivery'.

Really? Then why did the OSS man keep us waiting for 10 minutes while he chattered and chuckled on an obviously personal call - and then say he couldn't give us any help whatever in booking an island trip with a firm that his colleague had recommended? Just 'You'll have to book yourself'.

Which brings me to another point. Have other guests been irritated, as I was, by all the marketing talky-talk and corporate guff. I have already given the OSS instance. Here are two others.

Menu: 'The loafer ... Ciabatta bread with Milano salami, provolone cheese and fresh lettuce in light mustard dressing.'

Do they really need to mention that the lettuce is 'fresh'? And who gives a toss that the salami is 'Milano'?

Brochure: 'Cape Sienna's architecture and embracement of style attracts and (sic) exciting mix of
mobile sophisticates who demand uncompromising style and service in a new and unexpected location along the Millionaire's Mile of Phuket.'

Before boasting about your sophistication, try proof-reading your copy.

E gym
S

4 Thank MartinL1Australia
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Arrived at cape sienna. Really looking forward to this stay. We are on our honeymoon and the reviews from all were really positive! So far we have been here an hour and we are STILL to check in. We've been told to come back in 5 minutes a dozen times. Really frustrating, especially after yravelling quite a long way to get here and just wanting to take a shower. :-(

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank brizzylizzie
nottingham
Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is the first vaguely negative review I have written for trip advisor. It wasn't that the hotel was no good but for the price we expected more. The room was nice a spacious but no hanging rail. There was a pillow menu but upon asking for a change of pillow it was "no longer availble" - don't put a menu in the room then!
There was a shuttle to Patong each eve but as it only held 10 or 11 there was no guarantee of a place. The cost of a taxi is 500 baht one way.
Breakfast was good and varied.
Despite what the web site says there were under 12's there, admittedly not in the pool though.
As for cleanliness this was no where near as good as most Thai hotels - a cotton bud on the stair case to our room was there for three days.
The massage was good and ok value as it was two for price of one at the time we were there.
On asking about transport to our next resort we were told to go on into the town and organise it ourselves, something we have never been told before in this country.
I would not return here but it might be for you if you like the more designer side of Thailand with a pool being the centre of your holiday.

Room Tip: The spa bath room was good
3 Thank ladyawl
Bangkok
Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Have stayed a number of times at this hotel and it is a little unconventional with reception on the first floor with stunning views over Kamala Bay. Rooms are nicely appointed with the usual amenities. No bath in the room, but shower is large with rainwater shower and standard shower. Most rooms have views. Breakfast selection is good & area overlooks the pool. Rooms are of a good size and you do not hear any noise from other rooms. Downside is that you are not on the beach and the hotel only offers a shuttle bus service to Patong in the afternoon. Worth a stay. No kids under 12 so if you are looking for a romantic hotel, you can't go wrong with this one.

• Stayed October 2012
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Cape Sienna Mid October 2012 for 9 nights in a ocean view room. The Hotel is nicely located with some awesome views over Kamala Beach. Hotel staff were very good and always happy to help. The hotel is located up on the side of the headland so is a little walk down to the beach but my wife and I never found this to be a problem. Good restaurants located along Kamala Beach also a couple of good beach bars. Pools at the hotel are excellent with happy hour 2 for one at different times for the main pool and Sienna Rocks pool. Breakfast was of top standard and the dinner we had at Plum Restaurant was fantastic with the setting and view to match. This being our 3rd trip to Phuket we found Kamala to be a little quiet this time of year but it is only a short taxi or tuk tuk ride from Patong to do some bar hoping and shopping. We had a little bit of trouble with getting picked up by our transfer driver when departing this hotel due to the taxi operators next to the hotel entrance not allowing them to collect us but the staff at Cape Sienna just drove us in there own vehicle. Very professional approach by the staff was greatly appreciated by my wife and I. We would highly recommend staying at Cape Sienna and we both will be back again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff1691
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Keemala
#4 of 36 in Kamala
Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Sunprime Kamala Beach

Been to Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!