“We'll stay longer next time!”
Review of Le Giron de L'Isle

Le Giron de L'Isle
ottawa
“We'll stay longer next time!”
Reviewed June 8, 2008

We stayed at this property because, as real foodies, another tripadvisor user's review of the breakfast intrigued us. It was, we are happy to report, really stupendous. The only possible problem is that you'll be TOO full to have lunch. The owners were so welcoming and as we were on our honeymoon, left us a nice little note and treat in our room.
Ile d'Orleans is beautiful, and this b&b takes advantage of that, with decks giving a wonderful view of the river and very tranquil surroundings.
You'll have a wonderful time, as we will next time we go!

• Liked — The food and the warmth of the hosts.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ontario25

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Berwick, NS
Reviewed September 4, 2007

We stayed at the Giron de L'Isle for only one night on a trip along Quebec's North Shore, and it was a fantastic B&B to stay at. Lucie met us at the door, and showed us a sparkling clean room with a nice view of the river. She speaks little english but was very encouraging of my rusty University French.

The room was excellent! Clean and comfortable. We always travel with our own pillows (blush) but this was the only place, and we stayed at far more expensive establishments, where they stayed put in the back of the car.

Lucie and Gerard are excellent hosts. Gerard speaks good english and was extremely helpful to us, especially after Karen lost a saphire down the sink drain and Gerard cheerfully dismantled it for her. We needed a dinner reservation and that tool was looked sfter by Gerard who recommended and booked for us a fabulous restaurant in a historic residence not too far away.

And the breakfast!! Previous writers have said all that need to be said.

All in all would we stay at the Giron de L'Isle again? Yes, absolutely!

• Liked — The sound of the river lulling us to sleep
  • Disliked — The access road is unpaved and badly needed grading
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Obus3
Minneapolis
Reviewed January 10, 2007

Located just northeast of St. Jean, Le Giron de L'Isle sits a minute off the island's only highway at the end of Chemin de Lieges. There are beautiful views of the St. Lawrence from the property, and if you walk down the hill, you can even visit the shoreline.

The area is much more agricultural than the West and Southwest areas of the island, and it's quieter as well. There is almost no light pollution on this side of the island, and the night sky is just beautiful from this location. It was wonderful to sit on the balcony and just stare up at the stars before heading off to bed.

The inn itself has 3 rooms. My cousin and I stayed in La Suite Champetre. There is a large and very comfortable queen bed, as well as an equally comfortable twin murphy bed in the climate controlled room. Extra blankets and pillows were provided in the small but still spacious closet, and there was a soft and warm robe provided as well. The petite salon past the bathroom was absolutely charming, with access to the balcony, and a television (which we did not use). The balcony had 2 chairs and a small table, with a very pretty view of the St. Lawrence. It was nice to be able to sit out on the balcony after breakfast or after returning from our activities on the island. Very relaxing.

I am VERY picky about bathrooms and this one was great! Fresh towels, a hair dryer, women's toilettries, extra tooth brushes and floss were all supplied for our convenient use. Excellent lighting and plenty of space as well. This was the cleanest bathroom I have encountered in all my travels, and I can't thank Gerard and Lucie enough for that! The shower had great water pressure, and the Swedish Spa tub was wonderful, especially after a long day visiting Old Quebec and Montmorency Falls.

Breakfast was really the best part of our stay. Four courses of fresh foods, made by Lucie and presented by Gerard that I personally would describe as 5 star quality. The presentation was so beautiful that I actually brought my camera to breakfast on our last day (I used my father, who is a Chef, as an excuse for doing so). The first morning, our breakfast began with the most delicious raspberry smoothie (which I often find myself craving). The entre was a trio of strawberry, cherry and blueberry french toast, paired with lovely fruits, breads and cheeses of our choice. Dessert was a very delicious mini creme brulee. We were very disappointed that we missed breakfast on Day 2 due to sleeping in, but enjoyed the Boulangerie in St. Jean, and picked up a picnic lunch for later in the day there as well. Our final breakfast on Day 3 began with another one of those heavenly raspberry smoothies. The entre was soft boiled eggs served over turkey strips and mushroom sauce, topped with a slice of prociutto and paired with cheese potatoes. There was a warm herb goat cheese on toasted bread served as well, but I have to admit, I just wasn't a fan. More breads, fruits and cheeses followed, and dessert was a tiny tower of creme served with raspberry sorbet. Conversation at breakfast was nice, and Gerard always made us feel right at home.

I really cannot say enough about my wonderful experience at Le Giron de L'Isle. Gerard and Lucie were so welcoming and sweet. Lucie only speaks a small amount of English, but she tries and makes up for it in so many ways, always asking how we slept, wishing us "Bon Nuit" and her cheerful attitude really made it a joy to be there. Gerard was gracious, accomodating, funny and spoke very good English. He would happily translate at breakfast between us and the non-English speaking guests, and he was always willing to give us tips and recommendations for restaurants, directions and things to do on the island.

I felt sad leaving. My cousin and I have both agreed that we will return annually, with other friends and family as well. I cannot wait until my next stay with Gerard and Lucie at their lovely bed and breakfast!

• Liked — Everything! The food, the owners, the room.. etc. etc. etc.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Tips/Secrets — Keep your eyes peeled for the Chemin de Lieges sign. The road signs on the island are not very big and you could very easily drive by since you can't see the inn from the Chemin Royal. Also, an easy and beautifully scenic way to get to the other side of the island is to take the Route de Mitan, which lies between St. Jean and the Inn.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank Aprl24
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 15, 2006

When I was planning my 40th birthday trip to Quebec I read about many places to stay. I came across the previous person's impressive review and thought it was too good to be true. After staying here, I am happy to report that I received similar satisfaction at this wonderful inn.

Le Giron de l'Isle is an excellent property in every aspect. The host and hostess, Gerard and Lucie, are extremely hospitable and accommodating. They were happy to help arrange dinner reservations or suggest the best places on the island to visit.

The suite we had (Champetre) was twice the size of our hotel room the previous two nights in Montreal (and that was a room at the Hyatt which was great). In the bedroom was a queen bed as well as a murphy bed. Room-specific climate controls, ceiling fan, sitting room and a spacious bathroom. The bathtub is something else. Big enough for two with "mood" lighting and four different controls for the whirlpool jets. A balcony with two chairs and a table overlooking the St. Lawrence River. At night you know you are in the country ... the sky is full of stars. The three rooms of the inn share a small common area with a refridgerator, coffee and tea makers and cookies.

It's hard to say enough about the breakfast. You need to experience it for yourself ... FOUR courses, not a 15-minute bowl of cereal. There were such a large number of accompaniments that you would have a mega-continental breakfast with only those tasty dishes. Main courses such as vegetable frittata (flan) and French toast and bacon served with fresh berries and pure Quebec maple syrup. More jellies than Smucker's. Grilled grapefruit. The sweetest fresh blackberries I have ever tasted. Coffee brewed by the cup, not by the pot. Fine china and crystal. And always a tasty dessert for course number four. Everything accompanied by big smiles at no extra charge.

Orleans Island itself is full of charm. You can walk on the the rocky beaches; visit a "sugar shack," winery or cidery; and, enjoy a delicious Quebecker or French dinner at any of a handful of fine restaurants. If you go when at the time we were there (early October) the fall foliage is absolutely spectacular.

Quebec City is only 40 minutes away with all of its charm, historical sites and fine dining. Montmorency Falls and the Basilica of St. Anne of Beaupre are easily accessible.

Communication was never a problem. Everyone was truly happy to welcome American (English-speaking) tourists. If they didn't speak English themselves they found someone who did. It was a pleasure to enjoy a different culture so close to home. I can't wait to go back .

• Stayed September 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
15 Thank John_of_GA
Boston
Reviewed July 16, 2006

We were driving around the island in search of a quiant, comfortable place to stay for a day and to relax in a country setting. Of course the only places we saw were by the road. Luckily, one of the b&b we stopped by to inquire about space was full, but the owner recommended this place and assured us that it is great. We are very greatful for this referral. We found this amazing place about 2 km from the road (which in this part of the island is very rural and quiet anyway), with very charming, short walk to a wonderful, quiet waterfront. The hosts, Lucie and Gerard are the most warm and welcoming people. The house itself is in immaculate conditions and has all kinds of modern gadgets (zoned climate controlled room, illuminated whirpool for 2 in the room). The room was large, super clean, with a balcony overlooking the river, different details making it very comfortable and inviting. There ware all kinds of teas and a freshly made coffee and cookies/sweets and bottled water available for us in the common area along with a bunch of magazines. I loved the walk and the swim in the river, the wild flowers smell wonderful there. We marvelled at the beautiful garden as well. Lucie made reservations for us at an incredible local restaurant (another separate rave!!!), located in a 1660 built Manoir with foix de grais (not sure about spelling) being a couple of hours fresh. We were overjoyed with gastronomical pleasure at dinner. However, the main surprise was breakfast prepared by Lucie and served by Gerard in a formal dining setting (with 4-5 forks and multiple plates changes). At the table there were 8 different kinds of home-made jams and jellies (from apricot and strawberry to tomato jam), 5 types of home-made fresh pate, 4-5 types of freshly baked breads and scones, 6 type of cheeses and ham, variety of fresh fruits (incliding pineapple and fresh strawberries), all very elegantly served. We thought it a was a very generous breakfast by itself, when Gerard announced that for breakfst today they have a strawberry smoothie, strawberry-avocado salad, eggs with toast, ham and sauteed mushrooms and a freshly made creme brullee. The other 3 couples at the table were from Montreal and said that they come here often and the main reason is the breakfast (and the hosts). We were overwhelmed with the variety and delishisness of the food (but so were peole from Montreal :))

I normally don't write reviews, but felt compelled to share this rare find. I'm recommeding (more like pushing) friends to go there. All of that wonder costs $125 for a couple. The breakfasts itself cost as much and more, but the hospitality of the hosts was priceless. Can't wait to go back (hopefully in the winter).

14 Thank Mura02456
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Jean-de-l'ile-d'Orleans
Auberge du Littoral
Auberge du Littoral
#28 of 102 in Quebec City
Hotel Chateau Bellevue
Hotel Chateau Bellevue
#27 of 102 in Quebec City
Gite le Tournant de l'Ile d'Orleans
Gite le Tournant de l'Ile d'Orle...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Francois-de-l'Ile-d'Orleans
#6 of 20 in Ile d'Orleans
Auberge au Poste de Traite
Auberge au Poste de Traite
#1 of 2 in Sainte-Famille

Been to Le Giron de L'Isle? Share your experiences!