“The Oystercatcher”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The Oystercatcher restaurant located within a three bedroom hotel of the same name is a must place to enjoy fine dining. Only the freshest produce is used in the dishes and there is a list of the suppliers at the back of the menu. The husband (the chef) and his wife were so friendly and ever ready to offer advice on what made up each dish. The three starters were a magnificent which preceded the main and desert courses. The wine list was extensive as was the whisky range. You must book as we did, and visiting from Australia we arranged our holiday to fit in the dining experience. The bedrooms were on par with the dining, perfect. The breakfast was just as good as the main meal and plentiful. The Oystercatcher is a dining experience not to be missed even though it is a little of the beaten track. Seeing the number of diners in the bistro means the word has already spread, I know when I head back to Scotland I will be making a booking.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Our son and his financee took us to this restaurant - especially as I have a thing for beaches with white sand and beautiful clear blue seas - I did have a paddle and no it was not cold!! They had booked for a late lunch on the day or our arrival and having dined there I think booking will be a necessity. The menu is laden with fresh sea food which is caught locally. Susan was so particular in her attentiveness to detail which was wonderful - oldy worldly charm, but done so beautifully. Three of us had the sole and my husband had the scallops. It gives you two choices of size of the dish and if you are really hungry you go for the "hearty" and it is hearty. We enjoyed our main and decided to have their yogurt ice cream and it was out of this world. Gordon, Susan's husband is the cook and he is just so clever with choices and combinations. I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough and we will be back as soon as we are in Scotland.

1  Thank cuddles1108
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This restaurant, although in a remote location is well worth the effort of visiting - but do make a booking before going there.
The seafood is ultra fresh (supplied by local fishermen based at Portmahomack) and very well presented. The menu has a wide variety of seafood and the wine list is extensive and very good value. The attention to detail is outstanding.
In all a very enjoyable experience and excellent value. Well worthy of a visit.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is not a restaurant with a great view, but it is a great restaurant. They stayed open for our foursome after a round that ended late at Tain. The food was all excellent, including flaming desserts, fine wine, and delicious seafood. A bit out of the way and very small, they also serve lunch in the bistro. Worth the trip.

Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Best food that I've had in Scotland. Worth whatever drive you need to make.

I had pan fried scallops and quail eggs to start with. And then the lobster.. Finally wiped it all with a plain crime brûlée.

The food was very very very very tasty. Susan - our hostess - was nice.. The ambience - sea facing view - was to die for.

Oh and they are very kids friendly which makes me add another star to this rating..