River Destiny Lodge
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Colesberg
See available hotels
DeStijl Gariep Hotel
DeStijl Gariep Hotel
#1 of 1 hotels in Gariep Dam
4.8 mi
View Hotel
All reviewsfilter coffeesouth african hospitalitygariep damovernight stopvalue for moneyen routenext morningbraaichaletpetjhbstopoverunitsdinneraccommodationroad
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 22, 2013

It has been ages since we stayed over at River Destiny (RD) on our way down to Knysna. Well, this year Waschbank was full so we opted for RD. What a pleasant surprise!

The whole set up is now much more developed with thick well looked after, green, kikuyu lawn, a reasonably good dirt road to the compound from which you will see various types of buck, and friendly, helpful staff.

We booked 2 rooms as there were 5 of us. As it turned out each of the rooms was very spacious, clean and adequate for an overnight stay. In fact at a push, 1 room would have sufficed, thats how big they were.

It was just great enjoying ice cold beers and wine on the restaurant deck overlooking the Orange River followed by a really tasty, reasonably priced, dinner. I ordered the lamb chops for which the Karoo is famous and for once, they were the real thing, not those grotty frozen things that are imported from Australia that so many establishments in the area sell to their customers. The chips that came with the meal were just scrumptious too.

We have stayed at many places in the Colesburg / Gariep Dam area. RD is now our go to place.

We will be staying at the Gariep Dam resort on our way back to Jozi. I will post my review thereafter. Until then I believe RD offers the best value for money of all the places we have stayed at in the area so far.

Give them a try.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2013

A great place to unwind and to enjoy the beauty of the wide open spaces and the African skies. Great walks amongst the wildlife or simply sitting by the Orange River watching the water flow past. The room was comfortable and clean and created a space for me to relax at the start of my holiday.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo