“superb and characterful rest stop on the C2C”

Parkhead Station House
Ranked #3 of 7 Stanhope B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“superb and characterful rest stop on the C2C”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I discovered this lovely guest house as light was beginning to fade at the end of a steep climb up from Stanhope. The setting, at 1,500ft in the North Pennines, is magnificent if somewhat eerie - you feel that you are in the middle of nowhere. But any feelings of being alone are soon quashed once Terry and Lorraine appear and show you to your room. My room in the upstairs of the house was well appointed and comfortable - with stunning views of the moor. The shower-room was clean and the shower nice and warm - the only minus point was the push button timer for the shower and I always prefer a bath after a long day in the saddle.
I was impressed with the meal - roast beef with mash, veg and gravy - I'm quite fussy with meat and found the beef to be very high quality. Though I prefer draught beers there was ample selection of bottled ales and lagers on offer.
The comfortable bed and total silence of the moor allowed a very restful sleep and the view from my pillow allowed me to watch the sun rise from the east facing window - wonderful.
I ended my stay with a hearty breakfast of juice, tea, toast, cereal and full English.
Terry and Lorraine have created something truly impressive here from what was practically a ruin in 2000. I enjoyed their company immensely - including tales of the renovation and information on the area. I was sorry to leave and look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed September 22, 2012

After a long ride from Penrith up hill and down dale, our group were all ready for a warm welcome, hearty meal and a cozy place to recount the tales of the day. Thankfully we chose the Parkhead Station for our nightstop. Lorraine and Terry were the perfect hosts and welcomed us warmly. They were very accomodating to our changing arrival time and dinner was served just when we needed it.

We had a great night and when it was time for bed everything was clean and comfortable. As we are all particularly large gentlemen the bunk beds were perhaps not the ideal place to sleep but there were 8 of us and we did sleep well regardless.

I have read reviews that some moaned that breakfast was not until 8.30 which precluded an early start. We did not find this a hindrance as it is only 36 miles to Sunderland (our destination on the C2C) so we did not need to set of very early. My one complaint would be that I was not impressed by the sausages at breakfast...but I am really digging for something to criticise there.

Would I stay there again? Certainly. Good times :)

• Stayed September 2012
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed here for one night whilst completing the coast to coast bike ride. After cycling 60 miles to get there I was relieved to find welcoming hosts, immaculate clean rooms and fantastic home cooked food. I slept extremely well in the lovely bed and woke to a fantastic breakfast. I fully intend to return to this lovely location with my wife in the near future. I would recommend this location to anyone and I would have scored them more than 5 on every score if that was possible.

• Stayed September 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

On a return visit doing C2C stopped over at Parkhead Station. we had great memories of our last stay and were certainly not disappointed. Even better than before. Accommodation great and food excellent. Many thanks. All the best to Terry and Lorraine for the future.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank KatiehScotland
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
Reviewed September 16, 2012

this place is an absolute godsend to anybody who regularly cycles on the waskerly way.a warm welcome always awaits you.the hot beef sandwiches are to die for especially on a cold windy day,as the wind is mostly westerly so you are cycling into it from consett.there are some quirky bits of sculpture on route.i have cycled this route many times and always manage to see something different.please visit this establishment as they need peoples custom to stay open,it would be a huge loss to all cyclists if it wasn't open

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Devon
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed here as part of a C2C run before heading down to Newcastle.

The building has been nicely renovated and has lots of history to do with the old railway. On arrival we had a pot of tea and then a cooked meal which was to a high standard with a coupla beers as our reward for the cycling.

The rooms are well fitted out with good showers and we got a good nights sleep.

Filling breakfast in the morning and we were off by 9:00.

I have done the C2C 3 times over the last few years and have always stayed here before the run down to the coast - well worth a visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
North Wales
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Day 3 of our C2C cycle ride, and we arrived at Parkhead soaking wet, cold and tired! The moors were so bleak, it was wonderful to step inside and be warmly welcomed and offered hot drinks! The owners were very friendly, and showed us where to dry our wet clothes. The rooms were fine, and warm which was the main thing! We enjoyed our evening meal, and a cosy game of cards in front of the fire later on! We woke up to sunshine, and the landscape looked very different, and not nearly so bleak! Breakfast was fine, and we'd recommend this haven to any tired cyclist!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanhope
Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel
Slaley Hall
Slaley Hall
#1 of 1 in Slaley
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,829 reviews

Been to Parkhead Station House? Share your experiences!