“old and cute nice history”

The Inn at Spences Bridge
The Inn at Spences Bridge
B.C
“old and cute nice history”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Very pleasant service, friendly staff, simple. In a place that is 150 years old like the inn at spences bridge you really cant be expecting tvs in the rooms or anything you might find at a newer hotel. Instead gear your mind to that of an old building, the basics, and the same feeling you get when staying at your grandmas house and you wont be let down! The floors creak, the decor out dated, but here we are again, it's a 150 year old building. It's not trying to spruce itself up and look 80. That being said i found everything to be very clean, from the sheets to the bathrooms. The continental breakfast was average, but what made this place shine for me was the homely feeling of this inn. If you have trouble sleeping with trains then maybe don't stay anywhere in spences bridge, they go all night long! For me it adds to the character of the place... i didn't wake up once from a train!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank gorillafunk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We did not stay here; we only dined here. There was so little a available on the long drive from Hope, BC to Kamloops that we were happy to find them open and serving dinner.

This is a very high character place, so set your expectations accordingly. There is some clutter and aesthetic dissonance, but nothing the health inspector would've concerned about. The setting is really great, with photo ops aplenty. But more notably, both the food and the hospitality were just wonderful.

Thanks to proprietor Ray and his staff (Zach) for adding an unexpected, ample dose of color, flavor, warmth and charm to our family adventure.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank JeffTNZ
vancouver
Reviewed May 21, 2012

the Inn looks ok on the outside. I think all of the renovation love has gone here first.
the inside is a different story, creaky old floors with 60s era dark brown carpet, dark funny smells and our room and furnishings were pretty old, but not in the charming antique kind of way way. I didn't trust the colored frilly bedsheets and we instead slept in our sleeping-bag.
Hope you like trains, because these things go all night long. Very hard to sleep.

80 dollars felt pretty steep for the room, but not as bad as paying 46 before tip for 2 vegetarian lasagnas, tea and basic salad. Again, the eating area felt pretty worn out, and even the tablecloth had many stains on it.

We left early and couldn't be bothered with the serve yourself basic breakfast.

I would pass on this place. especially if your traveling with your significant other.
There is far better to be had for less.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank polythemus
The Republic of EastVan
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I wouldn't have stopped but I was on my own. Two wheels were turning, my big motor was burning, the pretty girls were long behind me. 1400k since noon. I was exhausted. Besides, I had already slowed as always, for the railroad-crossing-road-side commemoration of a fatal alcoholic, motorcycle crash.
It was dark. The place looked abandon. But the neon word in the window screamed: "OPEN'.
So, I pulled over.
I needed a bed before I crashed.
Childishly hand scrawled, a sign on the door assured me they had a room for the night.
During registration I had no choice but to endure the nervous, nattering clerk telling me about his wife's mental breakdown, his delinquent son from the big city not even wanting to coming to paint the place, his wildlife photography aspirations and a litany of less important issues.
During my misspent youth I had stayed in a similar place... at Black River N.S.
Reminded me of that scene in Dueling Banjos. It was quieter; and at a fraction of the cost.
This place is up for sale.
There's one born every minute.

Room Tip: Don't!! Unless you don't have a choice.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank DarwinBrando
canada
Reviewed March 9, 2012

This was a mid-way point between home and our destination.The building next to this Inn is all boarded up, and closed. When they say "train enthuthiasts" room... they mean it. Apparently CN rail is kicking butt, because trains went by ALL night long, non stop.

A few years back, this place would have been fine as a rooming place for me and the guys on a road-trip. But now, with my wife, you will end up in the dog house if you take your significant other here. Also be aware, there is zero cell service.

The general manager was very friendly, and a nice basic breakfast was included the next morning. The main downside for us, was the constant trains which meant no sleep, and the doors dont have peepholes, or deadbolts / locks besides the doorknob push locks - so we were a little on edge as the building itself kind of reminds you of something from a few too many scary movies haha.

Lastly, the bed and sheets themselves all appear pretty old. Fresh towels are provided so we ended up sleeping on those. Maybe its just me, but I am always a little more cautious when hotels don't use white sheets - these ones were colored so as to hide anything and everything from who knows how many years!

So in the end - it depends what you are staying for - but at $80+ after tax a night, this was certainly more of a $50 a night type of place. Again - it may be perfect for your kind of trip, but it wasn't perfect for us.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CMN83
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We stopped in here on our way back from a week on Green Lake, very encouraged by the reviews we'd read on TripAdvisor. Sadly, the sign on the door said the Restaurant is closed -- the hotel was open but we were stopping for lunch. The sign recommended a couple places across the river -- we went to the Log Cabin Pub since it was the first place we saw. They have a VERY limited menu (pizza, burgers, appies) and the theme is Easy Rider with a vintage motorcycle on display. Ended up having a couple beers-on-tap and cheeseburgers with fries. The burgers were nothing special except that they were made with big slabs of tomato which I love, and the fries were some of the best I've had, and the service was genuinely friendly and welcoming.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Langley, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Stayed with 2 preteens who wanted to go back again. These are picky kids too. We were all charmed by the history of the building (built in the 1800s), comfy rooms, ambiance and great food. Can't say enough about it. Well worth the price.

• Stayed July 2010
#1 of 2 in Ashcroft
No photo provided
Lytton Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lytton

Been to The Inn at Spences Bridge? Share your experiences!