“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Port Barton
Sydney, Australia
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed here in January 2013. Can't complain about the location and the quiet atmosphere but that is about it. However...and putting besides our foreign exchange purchasing power and our combined Swiss/Australian standards.

The food quality is mediocre and over priced when compared to the quality. For the most part, the seafood is not really fresh (more processed quality that comes out from a box) and the quality comes with a high variance. It is either ok, so-so or bad. I think they can really play with more native food variety on the menu.

The rooms are basic and rustic. As long as you are away from the generator. The noise is just terrible, particularly in the evening or if you are very close to it. Bring ear plugs and make sure your mosquito nets are free of holes and tears. Have extra batteries handy for your flash light or torch during the evenings. In addition, bring excess water from the mainland if you can. It is certainly much cheaper.

The service was fine but in saying that, I do share the same cultural heritage and took that advantage. However, they could certainly raise the bar. As for management, they really need to look at turning this place around. That young guy we met on our horrifying trip in, apparently the "manager" during our visit, is not fit for the job.

The inbound travel to the resort is terrible. On bad weather conditions, forget about it. Too dangerous and believe me. If you are deciding to use their shuttle services, make sure you ask for a clean and functional vehicle because ours wasn't. For a hefty price that we paid, we certainly deserved more. Don't forget to ask for ear protection if you are doing excursions. The boat noise is unbearable and particularly for kids.

The beach. Not much to really say about it. It is very rocky and you can't really swim.

Overall, the stay was disappointing. If they could work on their product and service offerings (including service levels), maybe it could slightly improve things. Until then, there are better places around for similar value.

Room Tip: As far away as possible from the generator.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank heilouie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Fayetteville, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Blue Cove was one of the most enjoyable and relaxing parts of my trip to the Philippines. To preface, I wouldn’t highly recommend Blue Cove if you are seeking a spacious, Western-style resort. If simplicity isn’t your thing, spend the money and go elsewhere. That said, if you’re looking to escape the world, Blue Cove is perfect. The staff was incredibly accommodating and made you feel as if you were family. The waterfront bungalow was absolutely epic with the water at high tide coming right underneath the balcony; you will fall asleep to the sound of the waves almost directly underneath you. The food and drinks were above average. The scenery was spectacular especially at the peak of the island (I will warn you that while the hike is only about 10-15 minutes, it is quite steep). The snorkeling and swimming on the small, private beach-area is great. Overall, if you are looking for a quiet, romantic place to stay for a few days, you’ve found it with Blue Cove.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

The Palawan Islands are some of the few remaining unspoiled eco-tourism sites of the country. I go there from time to time to recharge my urban spirit when i want to get away from the busy life of the city. I visited the Albaguen Island where Blue Cove is located and I want to share my experience.
I was pleasantly surprise that the Blue Cove owners have acquired a new fast boat which cuts travel time from Port Barton to just 25 minutes from the previous 45 minutes.
They have also added a new guest pavilion since my last visit where guest can freely mingle or create nooks for themselves.
Blue Cove have also secured the expertise of Ms. Angel who comes from the food and beverages industry, a Starbuck service awardee who intends according to her words, "revamp & beef up" the Resort's food and dietary section.
I hope to see God's creation remain unspoiled by human progress, it would be a shame.
Who says, that an "Island Paradise" can not reinvent itself?

2 Thank RolandoB219
Seoul, South Korea
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

First of all, the beach: a five-foot wide strip of sand, then rocks--rocks as far out as you can wade, all of it choked with seaweed. Awful. My room was in the newly completed building, which is solid construction with two tiny windows and no cross-ventilation--it was almost impossible to sleep. But the piece de resistance was the food, which, for the three meals I had, was absolutely rancid. The beer was overpriced and warm, and the staff diffident to the point of rudeness. I had planned to stay four days or so, but left as soon as I could get a boat. On top of teverything, they tried to overcharge me, and I had to produce the emails quoting my rate. The only positive thing I can say is that I met some very interesting peole who were guests there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Tuttle51
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

First of all, this review is for the accommodation and service only. The resort is lucky to be placed in such an amazing island, and this is the only reason I would recommend it.
We simply spent our whole days outside kayaking, snorkeling and swimming and therefore had a great time anyway.
To review the accomodation, expect A LOT of insects inside your room, especially spiders. Never seen that big spiders and so many of them! And I have travelled to many exotic countries. When asking one of guys working there, who I assume was the manager(?), if they have any insect sprays or anything, he simply shrug his shoulders saying he hasn't seen that many. Now the worst thing about the accommodation wasn't that we shared it with 10cm spiders every night, but the fact that all our stuff were covered in mold that was coming down from the roof in dusty form. Waking up sweaty covered in that every morning was not great, I got it my eyes plenty of times by just looking up to the ceiling. We had a terrace from our room which we never used as the chairs, table, anything that was left there was covered in this yellowy white stuff.
Now to review the service, there were few that were super helpful and kind, the carpenter being one of them!
But the guy checking us in was so incredibly rude and unprofessional, I really wonder why he works in hospitality. When we came to him to speak about the mold and insects, he acted as if we were pissing him off, and he just looked ut as annoyingly... Only after 10 sec of staring he got out a "eeeehh.. Sorry?".
And that was pretty much it. Then he walked off talking angrily in his own language to one other staff member while we were still there.
A few other notes about the staff, we saw one standing and peeing in the middle of the common lawn while still light outside, one day there was no wifi and while walking around we heard Facebook chat sounds from the staff room, they probably saw us because a few mins after that one staff member came with the Wifi transmitter to the common room (we had already then asked why there wasn't any WiFi and the girl just shrug her shoulders and said something we didn't understand).
Think this sums it up!
Oh and expect to pay 250 for breakfast and 300 for lunch/dinner without drinks.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Evisan
Frankfurt, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

We were very pleased to spend a part of our vacations in a seaview bungalow (1500 pesos per day) in the Blue Cave Resort.

By arrival the nephew of the new owner informed us that the booked and already paid bungalow is still under construction and we must take very small bungalow (1200 pesos per day), the difference of the already paid-up sum could be credited with food and drinking. We were a little bit afraid about that, nobody informed us before arrival (we called them to arrange the transfer 1 day in advance). Furthermore nobody informed us about other building measures at the resort (sport bar, toilets, kitchen etc. which were very noisy). There was no possibility to enjoy the beach or the resort area. The building measure starts 8 a.m. and ends 5 p.m.

The management has changed and was not on site, the prices and the quality of the dishes are a cheek (1 liter of water 100 pesos, no food less than 300 pesos,....) the food was the worst one we have eaten during 6 weeks of Philippines.

Nevertheless, the absolute highlight was the presented bill on the departure day. The nephew of the owner charged for the very small bungalow 1400 pesos per day and not the advertised price by arrival of 1200. After my protest he offended me, I was not correct informed, the price of 1200 is the low season price and so on. When I informed him that I will write a bad review in case of many negative experiences and the construction noise, he begs my wife separately, we should refrain from a bad review. Unbounded cheek!

In our time in the Blue Cave there are a lot of other discontented clients. I cannot understand why this resort have so much high recommendations. This was the reason why we booked this resort. I travel a lot without high demands on standards but never have experienced such an unprofessional behavior, such a defective information policy as well as mismeasures of management.

We cannot recommend this resort. The management is only interested in your money. There are so much better resorts in the surroundings!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Rene B
Pasig, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

what i liked most was the view, the food, the privacy and the staffs of the resort.. :)
i dint like it when there were too much seaweeds and jellyfish in the ocean, made it tough for us to swim. (not the resort's fault though, the staffs make sure that they wake up early in the morning so they can sweep away all the seaweeds.. hardworking people! :)

1 Thank RaechLi
Sheridan Beach Resort and Spa
Peace and Love Resort
Peace and Love Resort
#2 of 6 in San Vicente

Been to Blue Cove Island Resort? Share your experiences!