“inexpensive low-key place to stay”
Review of Deep Moon Resort

Deep Moon Resort
Berkeley, California
“inexpensive low-key place to stay”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My friend and I took the bus from Puerto Princesa after attempting to communicate with the hotel via their Facebook page (no response-told on arrival that the hotel has not been using FB for some years!).

First, a word about the bus. It's 5-6 hours with one extended stop (40 min.) for lunch. The bus is not air-conditioned but the windows open and it was not uncomfortable. The road to Port Barton is paved only half-way, the rest is dirt. With the occasional rain, it was quite muddy on our return to PPS, but we didn't get stuck. An alternative is to hire a van, but it is 4,500-5,000 PHP (the bus is 150 PHP per person one way).

Despite the absence of an advanced booking, the hotel was happy to accommodate us. The rooms are little cottages or chalets right on the beach. They are of decent size for 2 people and have fans which are adequate. Did not provide a mosquito net but I only saw one mosquito. There's a little porch facing the ocean where you can drink a beer quite pleasantly.

The restaurant is a nice open air room where you can lounge on benches and look out on the ocean (obscured by trees) and the garden. The wait staff is friendly but they were frequently out of many items listed on the menu (e.g. Filipino breakfast, 2nd pot of coffee, many selections at dinner). We found things to eat and they were well-prepared and inexpensive (as is the beer).

There are a few places on the beach within a short walk, including Jambalaya, which is a pleasant hippie-type place with a nice view. There's also a store where you can buy wine, sunscreen, etc.

The hotel set up a day cruise with a local boat owner. We left about 9am and returned about 3-4pm (lost track of time). The captain took us to a couple of nearby islands where we lounged around. I snorkeled (nothing great), and the captain made us a nice simple lunch of grilled fish (bring your own beer). It cost 5000 PHP.

As has been commented before, the beach is very pretty in Port Barton. But it's also great to get out on the ocean and cruise around a bit. The weather was fantastic for which I am eternally grateful (it rained a bit in PPS).

All in all, a pleasant hotel and a wonderful location (and even the bus ride was tolerable).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Hebrew first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We were running out of time on our holiday in Palawan but have heard many good things about Port Barton so we decided to travel there from Puerto Princesa only for one night and come back the next day.. And it was SO worth it! To be honest, without the staffs great communication skills over emails we probably wouldn't have come but they made it so easy for us by making a reservation on the bus (be there early as it works - first come first served), giving us lots of information on how to get there and get back. Always nice and surprising when you get a reply on your email within an hour or two..

Port Barton itself is a very quiet little beach village but not many things to do apart from scuba diving, snorkeling, eating and watching the sunsets.

The food was good but the food takes a long time and was very slow, at the same time you are in a place where time doesn't really matter and the whole village just seems super relaxed.

We really enjoyed our stay at Deep Gold Resort and thought it was very clean and great value for money. The room was right at the beach and we could watch the sunset from our little terrace.

Would really recommend this resort to anyone wanting to visit Port Barton!

Thank you Deep Gold Resort!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Johanna1990
Oakland, CA
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Port Barton is lovely. so quiet and peaceful. I was very glad to have chosen Deep Gold. It has been renovated/maintained nicely. any time i ordered food in the restaurant it was quality and timely. cheap, cold beer. I stayed in a beach-front A-frame cottage and was very pleased with the cleanliness and quality. Nothing fancy but a nice, clean tile floor, fan, bathroom with fun see-through (lucite) ceiling. Once I figured out you could request a mosquito net, i did. They seemed to favor providing coils and sprays but maybe they thought they were catering to foreign preferences. I'd rather just have a net and if you would too, just ask, they'll happily put one up for you.

I didn't use them to arrange any tours, but i will tell you the island hopping i did here was wonderful. really solid snorkeling, too. which was a surprise.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank peggydaly
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We chose this hotel as run by a Japanese, which sets it aside quite a bit. Choice of furniture and materials is a lot more westernized, but if you only speak English, you might have trouble communicating with the owner. The rooms are surprisingly clean but power is being switched off at midnight. To my surprise, the decent and free Internet throughout the lobby was convenient in booking my onward travels, but you get kicked out if you don't order some food or drink.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Spent one night at Ysobelles/Deep Gold and loved it. Port Barton is a beautiful, peaceful beach perfect for relaxation. Don't expect the Ritz Carlton--there is no hot water and the power is on and off! What you do get are nice, comfy huts, good food, a nice common area, great hammocks and a beautiful empty beach....all for about $25. Port Barton is not easy to get to, but if you make it there you can't beat Deep Gold in the budget price range.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
quezon city
Reviewed January 20, 2011

The road leading to Port Barton was terrible, "concrete-unpaved-concrete-unpaved" in that order. It was raining and all we've got were mud on the road and the trike I've rented got stacked up in one of the many big potholes. I even pushed the trike to unstacked it so we could go move and go on.

I arrived at the resort late in the afternoon or early evening dead tired. Registering at the front desk was fast enough attended by a smiling and accomodating lady. I brought my
things in my room and decided to go to the beach for a quick glimpse. But I ended up taking pictures of the beautiful and very clean beach.

When I returned to the room I found out that it was open. I thought I forgot to lock it. After several testings I discovered that it was not functioning right. The door can be unlocked after several turnings left and right. I reported it to the desk officer and she made a quick
investigation and decided to transfer my room at the back near a garden. It was a bigger room but of the same rate.

My last night was nice enough to be remembered. I had rounds of San Mig Lights.
Other tourist came to my table and joined, KKB kanya-kanyang bayad. Conversations flew from our mouths till 12 am. It was worth visiting this place. This has the cleanest beachfront I've ever seen.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Easily the nicest place to stay in Port Parton. The huts were large, spotlessly clean with wonderful views of the beach. Listening to the waves crashing in and out from my bed was so relaxing. The staff were lovely, very helpful and effiecent and the food was great.The only down side was not having electricty from midnight to 6am but don't let that out you off - I think it was the same all over the town. One of the best places I've ever stayed.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo