All reviews otter cottage midlands meander near future arrived late in the evening long weekend alex dam fishing lake engagement treat surroundings
Reviewed October 15, 2017 via mobile

Absolutely loved our 2 night stay at Otter cottage. Great location, amazing view, tranquil and such fun fishing. Staff are exceptionally warm, hospitable and helpful! Had fun lying in the sun and reading, to fishing on the dam. Really recommend for a weekend away or a mid week break!

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Alex D, Owner at Beacon Vlei Guest Farm, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2017

Hi Sarah A

Thank you very much for your review. My staff and I really do appreciate acknowledgement of the work we do here and we will continue to offer the best possible service and value for money accommodation that we possibly can. We hope we can accomdoate you again sometime in the not too distant future.

Reviewed February 6, 2017

I have read some of the other reviews and must admit that there is some truth about the interior not being as good as, for example, the Oyster Box. However, Beacon Vlei doesn't claim to be a 5 star hotel. It is countryside farm living with a "5 star experience".

My family and I stayed at the Otter cottage. It was very comfortable and cosy yet spacious enough for us to feel like we had a little home away from home. The cottage had an old world charm about it. My wife was also very impressed that kitchen was so well kitted out.

Although it is self-catering, there is still the comfort of your cottage being cleaned, tidied and linens changes like in a hotel. Toiletries and detergents were also provided, which is definitely a bonus for a self catering place. A point worth noting is that I didn't know this on the first day and left all my valuables out (digital camera, laptop etc) but nothing went missing.

The property may look, at first glance, as not being as well taken care of as the other properties, but it couldn't be further from the truth. It is just not as commercialised. It has been landscaped so that you feel as if you're in a very natural bush setting yet you still have the comfort and privacy of your own neat yard and stunning views to wake up to with a beautiful dam.

On the whole, it was the best getaway I have ever had. Alex was so warm and hospitable. He popped in to check on our stay and still, somehow, made me feel like he was visiting me in my own home. The staff were very friendly and cleaned the unit so efficiently. The view of the dam was lovely and canoeing on it was even lovelier. Boats and canoes were available for guests to use and life jackets (including one for my little one) were provided.

Alex must be one the nicest people I've ever met and it's fitting that he runs a place that's so serene and breathtaking. I had never understood why people would visit the same holiday destination more than once but after staying at Beacon Vlei I now do...

Brandon,
Durban

Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank brandonnfam
Reviewed November 14, 2016

Fantastic place , beautiful dam full of big, healthy fish, ideal if you are a fisherman we had an amazing time! Peace and quiet with amazing scenery!! The staff were very friendly and the chalets were fantastic , heaters to keep you warm, DSTV to catch the rugby if you are on holiday. The rooms were very cosy and we loved every bit! Definitely a place that we will visit again, I cannot wait to go back !

Room tip: All houses offer comfy luxury!
Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank keeganhines
Reviewed November 13, 2016 via mobile

My friends and I had an amazing time here. The cottages are beautiful and cozy. My first fishing experience was absolutely great, even in the cold weather. This is definitely the place to be to get away from the city and spend some quality time with friends and/or family.

Date of stay: November 2016
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank kirstc93
Reviewed November 1, 2016

We enjoyed our stay at beacon Vlei. A Friend had booked 3 cottages for a group of 15 of us attending a wedding on the Saturday at a nearby wedding venue. The accommodation was warm and comfortable, as our group had booked 3 cottages I managed to have a look at each one and although they were all quiet different and all very private they all seemed to have the same good standards. As we were attending a wedding we didn't get a chance to use all their facilities inside the cottage and on the property but the kitchen seemed well equipped and outside their were boats which were for use by the guests to fish or just row on the dam. I would like to return in the future so as to spend more time on the property. Thanks Alex and your team you were very accommodating and friendly. keep up the good work.

Room tip: best cottage out of our 3 was the boathouse
Date of stay: October 2016