Granny Mouse is a small (although much larger than it used to be) country house hotel, tucked away in a valley by the river just off the "Midlands Meander" near PieterMaritzburg.
Most of the buildings are thatched - our "Deluxe Room" was a cottage on its own with a private balcony overlooking the river, a real fireplace with more than enough chopped dry wood, and a bathroom with corner bath and walk in shower. The bed was huge and superbly comfortable.
The only grip with the room was that there were no music facilities, either on TV or a radio or CD player - for a longer stay, this would have been worse, but for one night, not a major issue.
The staff are all delightful. The quality of build and fittings is good - a lot of wood and thatch makes it all very homely. Couldn't work out the thinking behind the decorations and soft furnishing ... "quirky" would be a kind description, but basically it is all a bit random.
My wife went to the spa for some massage treatments which were excellent, and there is a massive range of therapies available.
In the evening, we ate in the "fine dining" restaurant, and were blown away by the best meal we have had in ages - the current chef has trained in Michelin starred restaurants in Germany and it shows. The food is simply fantastic, beautifully presented, but still food (which some fancy restaurants seem to forget - people still want to eat and not just look at a piece of culinary artwork). Together with a very fine vintage red from Stellenbosch, our meal came to about £80 for both of us. Unbelievable.
We would recommend Granny Mouse to anyone wanting a totally relaxing, quality get away, the few flaws it has actually add to the sense of character than the sometimes sterile atmosphere of modern hotels. Just needs that music in the rooms .... :-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Granny Mouse Country House Hotel & Spa in the Natal Midlands Meander offers accommodation as quaint as the name of the hotel implies. Old-world charm, embedded in the foundations of the hotel, complements the rural ambiance and modern comforts of the rooms and venues. This elegant hotel with two restaurants and spa is situated in the picturesque KwaZulu Natal Midlands at the foothills of the uKhahlamba-Drakensberg, one of South Africa’s world heritage sites. Here we offer country hotel hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Granny Mouse Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Granny Mouse Country House Hotel Balgowan
- Granny Mouse Country House South Africa/Balgowan