“10/10 for hotel that is definitely different ...”

Granny Mouse Country House
Ranked #1 of 8 Balgowan B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Granny Mouse is a small (although much larger than it used to be) country house hotel, tucked away in a valley by the river just off the "Midlands Meander" near PieterMaritzburg.

Most of the buildings are thatched - our "Deluxe Room" was a cottage on its own with a private balcony overlooking the river, a real fireplace with more than enough chopped dry wood, and a bathroom with corner bath and walk in shower. The bed was huge and superbly comfortable.
The only grip with the room was that there were no music facilities, either on TV or a radio or CD player - for a longer stay, this would have been worse, but for one night, not a major issue.

The staff are all delightful. The quality of build and fittings is good - a lot of wood and thatch makes it all very homely. Couldn't work out the thinking behind the decorations and soft furnishing ... "quirky" would be a kind description, but basically it is all a bit random.

My wife went to the spa for some massage treatments which were excellent, and there is a massive range of therapies available.

In the evening, we ate in the "fine dining" restaurant, and were blown away by the best meal we have had in ages - the current chef has trained in Michelin starred restaurants in Germany and it shows. The food is simply fantastic, beautifully presented, but still food (which some fancy restaurants seem to forget - people still want to eat and not just look at a piece of culinary artwork). Together with a very fine vintage red from Stellenbosch, our meal came to about £80 for both of us. Unbelievable.

We would recommend Granny Mouse to anyone wanting a totally relaxing, quality get away, the few flaws it has actually add to the sense of character than the sometimes sterile atmosphere of modern hotels. Just needs that music in the rooms .... :-)

Room Tip: Not sure what the Deluxe Suite would add over a Deluxe Room - go for Room 1 , it is the best situate...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kpjl

Reviewed December 12, 2011

On a recent travel agents inspection tour of Kua Zulu Natal, Once in a while one comes upon an absolute gem of a hotel. Granny Mouse is such a gem. Picture postcard in appearance in a superb location

Upon arrival you are met by the staff with a refreshing drink and promptly shown to your room. A variety of rooms are on offer to suit families and couples, my recommendation is the river view suites. All are beautifully appointed and come with all the facilities you come to expect from a 5* property. All with wood burning stoves etc and extra large bathrooms with separate showers and baths.... with a view!

The restaurant is fabulous & offers fine dining as well as a bistro menu and an excellent wine cellar with private dining available. The Hotel also boast a wedding chapel and conference facilities for small to medium groups.

The owners took over the Hotel in 2010 and ave made tremendous improvements. If you are in the 'Midlands' then stay here!

Room Tip: go for a river view for a couple but they can offer three bedroom suites for families
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank travelfoxYork
Reviewed December 7, 2011

For many years it has been a dream of mine to stay at Granny Mouse. 21 Years ago we booked to stay for the first night of our honeymoon. Unfortunately we were given a gift of our first night at the Drakensburg Sun, no comparison I know, but it was a gift and we therefore cancelled our stay at Granny Mouse.

Exactly 10 years later after having nagged up a storm, my husband booked our anniversary at Granny Mouse. A couple of days before our departure I broke my back and landed up in hospital for just over a month - so there went our second attempt. Believe it or not there was a third try in mid 2011 we were again booked at Granny Mouse, terribly excited that I would finally get to realise my dream we left Mpumalanga early in the morning in terrible weather meeting friends in JHB to travel to the Midlands together. We were about 1 hour out of JHB when we heard on the radio that the one and only route to Granny Mouse had been snowed in so guess what .... 3rd attempt epic fail.

After all this dissapointment I thought I was destined to never stay at Granny Mouse but I was wrong. I am pleased to say however that we finally got there at the end of November and I can truly say that my dream turned into a reality but only better. I was blown away, there are no words to describe the beauty of Granny Mouse. The gardens are amazing, our room was absolutely superb with so much attention to detail and a fabulous view. I can honestly say that I have never seen such perfection at even 5 star lodges in the Sabi Sands where we have previously stayed. The fine dining was an absolute treat and dinner in the bistro was just as memorable. Granny Mouse staff are so friendly and welcoming and nothing is too much trouble, the service is outstanding.

It is not often that one can truthfully say that the reality was far better than the dream.

Thank You to Gill and her team for making this possible, I hope that you grow from strength to strength and I look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon S
Lauren H, General Manager at Granny Mouse Country House, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear Sharon S

We are glad that perseverance runs strong in your veins and that you finally made it to the Midlands to spend some time with us. What makes us even happier is that you found that our service exceeded your expectations. We are humbled by your very generous review and hope that you make another visit in the near future.

Hopefully, it won’t take another 21 years!

Wayne Chislett – General Manager

Reviewed November 30, 2011

The hotel has recently been revamped and so My husband and decided to try it for an anniversary. It's a pretty hotel with loads of character but there are a few essential little things that were off. And I believe it's the little things that make a stay great or just average. Despite putting our anniversary detail on the booking form (which asked if the stay was for any occasion) the staff made no mention of this and did not go out of their way to mark this occasion. Pity. The satellite dstv channels on the tv were limited to sport, 1 movie channel and the Disney channel and sabc2. No news channels. There was no directory of services or activites for the hotel which was disappointing. Dinner in the Eaves restaurant was excellent. Ladies: avoid the vile concoction called 'body wash/shampoo' in the shower it completely left my hair a dried out tangled mess that had me in tears the next day.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Happycamper753
Angela D, Front Office Manager at Granny Mouse Country House, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2011

Dear Happycamper753,
I would like to apologize on behalf of Granny Mouse that your stay did not meet yours or our high expectations.
For anniversary couples we like to do a little something special at dinner time and a romantic turn-down in the room. If you could contact me directly at Lauren@grannymouse.co.za, then i can find out exactly what happened on that evening.
We do have a news channel, but due to our location and the temperamental weather conditions in the area, the signal is sometimes knocked out. This is something that we will keep an eye on in the future.
Granny Mouse is currently working on a directory of services for our rooms, and it will be in place by the New Year. In every room there is a copy of the Midlands Meander book, which has all the activities in the area.
If i may ask you again to contact me directly so that we may rectify this situation.
Lauren Huckle

Reviewed October 24, 2011

I recently stayed at Granny Mouse. I was blown away and it was everything I expected and more. I was lucky enough to stay in one of the new suites which is absolutely stunning with breathtaking views. I am a food and wine lover and each meal exceeded my expectations, the service was outstanding and I will most definitely recommend Granny Mouse as well as return myself as it was absolutely fantastic.

Room Tip: As for one of the New Suites
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Greg S
Reviewed October 18, 2011

We were here for a wedding and the entire place was booked for the wedding guests. Service was excellent, although I can't say if it was because we were part of the wedding event. Granny Mouse is really in the middle of nowhere but it is a very beautiful place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. We stayed in the deluxe suites and it's the newer rooms. We had amazing views from our bungalow. Even our bathtub was facing the rolling hills. We were also given body oil and bath salts to soak ourselves with in the bathtub. We were pampered.

One thing to note is that Granny Mouse doesn't actually have a street number. The only info we could find was that it was located on Old Main Road and this road is long. Neither Google Maps nor the GPS recognizes Granny Mouse, so my suggestion is to visit the Midlands Meander website to look at the map with business listings in the area if you want to get an idea of helping you get to Granny Mouse.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank terinay
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We attended a wedding function here and everything went smoothly. Excellent food provided for the wedding party. Breakfast was usual run of the mill. The older accommodation has a problem with smoke which has come from the open wood burning fire. Tried to ventilate but smell would not go away. The newer accommodation had sealed radiant wood burners therefore no problem. Good service and staff very helpful.

Room Tip: Avoid the older accommodation.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Lauren H, Front Office Manager at Granny Mouse Country House, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear chiahong1
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor and the very valid point that you raised regarding the smoke smell in your accommodation. It is due to this advice from you that we have replaced the open fireplaces in our rooms with sealed wood burners. Constructive criticism is a valuable thing and we are glad to have received this from you.
We hope to welcome you back 'Home' on your next visit to South Africa.

Lauren H, Front Office Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Balgowan
Brahman Hills Hotel & Spa
#5 of 17 in Nottingham Road
St Ives Lodge & Restaurant
St Ives Lodge & Restaurant
#2 of 12 in Nottingham Road

Been to Granny Mouse Country House? Share your experiences!